AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,686 of 4,614
Can a KS backer make a decision reg. implementation of new things?

btw. The function "play through albums / folders" is NOT working throuh data base replaying!
@Hidizs
There are a lot open issues. This is one of them. Pls fix.
In addition, pls implement a data base caching. The data base is very slow if you have many files. There is jno caching for cd cover or files.....

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,687 of 4,614
I just hope I am not breaking any rules here (I have read the entire email the mods just sent me), since I just created my account and it will be my first post ever. I am sorry in advance.

I just finished reading the entire 179 pages related to the Hidizs AP80, and I saw 2-3 people having problems with the battery longevity. It is the first of March, anyone else since then is having the same problems?
I have been listening to the device since 8 this morning. It is 13h pm (1 pm) where I live and it will be a miracle if the battery last 6 hours of normal listening using FLAC. It is pretty far from the promised 15 hours.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere eating at my battery? Bluetooth is off, I don't see anything else. Its sad because I really enjoy the device except for a few problems.
Like the wobbling knob and the device cannot scan my albums and create a playlist. I really think the battery will be totally dead in the following months. Is it possible to change it for a better one?

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #2,688 of 4,614
I just hope I am not breaking any rules here (I have read the entire email the mods just sent me), since I just created my account and it will be my first post ever. I am sorry in advance.

I just finished reading the entire 179 pages related to the Hidizs AP80, and I saw 2-3 people having problems with the battery longevity. It is the first of March, anyone else since then is having the same problems?
I have been listening to the device since 8 this morning. It is 13h pm (1 pm) where I live and it will be a miracle if the battery last 6 hours of normal listening using FLAC. It is pretty far from the promised 15 hours.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere eating at my battery? Bluetooth is off, I don't see anything else. Its sad because I really enjoy the device except for a few problems.
Like the wobbling knob and the device cannot scan my albums and create a playlist. I really think the battery will be totally dead in the following months. Is it possible to change it for a better one?

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

Yes, you have to be careful with screen on time or battery goes fast. I haven't timed it accurately but I think I'm getting 8ish hours with FLACs. Will do a proper test soon.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #2,689 of 4,614
Thank you for the reply. I contacted the seller on Aliexpress. And the first thing he asked me was what kind of music I was listening...
He probably asked what kind of files I was using because I don't think listening to classical music or metal will make a difference... I had a couple of cheap Mp3 readers in the past. They where all capable of reading FLAC, etc. But I think there is a big difference with the AP80 when reading high res files and lower res files. I tried playing 16 bits files on loop, and yes it drains the battery a lot less. I love the device but on Ali they promise between 10-20 hours of playtime (on the same page somewhere else it is written 15), pretty sure they would have sell the device without lying about it. At least they where fast to answer on the same day.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2,690 of 4,614
Interesting. Started getting issues with BT streaming over LDAC between my Samsung S8 and my AP80 after a security patch. After upgrading OS to Android Pie, LDAC BT streaming between S8 and AP80 are working fine now.

Anyone else using a Samsung S8 encounter this issue before?

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #2,691 of 4,614
Interesting. Started getting issues with BT streaming over LDAC between my Samsung S8 and my AP80 after a security patch. After upgrading OS to Android Pie, LDAC BT streaming between S8 and AP80 are working fine now.

I've never even managed to pair my OnePlus3 with the AP80. Be curious if others have. Also I'm entirely unclear what the process is meant to be for pairing - do you use the AP80 to connect to the target, or the target connects to the AP80...

The only successful connection it's ever made is to a BT audio receiver in a miniamp I've got...

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #2,692 of 4,614

Yes, and also with the Android Pie beta. Upgrading to the final Android Pie release in my S9+ fixed the LDAC problem. It's been working fine ever since.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #2,693 of 4,614
What kind of "power off" has the AP80? A few days ago the internal watch was not set anymore and had the default value of the factory reset (although no reset happened just a normal device start). In addition no "last postition" saved.....

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #2,695 of 4,614
Hi All, I am fairly new to the DAP world and would like your help on a function with my AP80 please. The problem I have is that when I add a photo of the Album cover art to the album folder it does not show on the AP80. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mar 11, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #2,696 of 4,614
It seems, AP80 uses embedded pics, I deleted all my second pics from all my folders excluding the embedded pics within the files.You can try to add your cover with MP3 tag (don't use hi res pictures - a normal jpg with 500*500 pixel is more than enough).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #2,697 of 4,614
It seems, AP80 uses embedded pics, I deleted all my second pics from all my folders excluding the embedded pics within the files.You can try to add your cover with MP3 tag (don't use hi res pictures - a normal jpg with 500*500 pixel is more than enough).
Thanks for the reply and info. Excuse my ignorance here but what is an MP3 tag and how do I add it? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,698 of 4,614
Thanks for the reply and info. Excuse my ignorance here but what is an MP3 tag and how do I add it? Thanks.

There is a system of metadata in MP3 files, the ID3 tag system. One of the tags is an embedded piece of art, which can be optionally tagged with Cover, Booklet, etc. Most music management software (MediaMonkey, MusicBee, etc) can search the internet for cover art and embed it, or drop it as a JPG or PNG in the same folder as the music file. FLAC files can also have cover art embedded, but some players don't like that and prefer the stand-alone JPG option. Not sure how picky the AP80 is about FLAC tags.

From what I can tell, the AP80 can handle both embedded art up to maybe 500x500 pixels, and external images in the same directory . It seems folder.jpg works as a filename, but maybe others would as well (AlbumArt.jpg is a common one). All of this is guesswork, because Hidizs has never released a comprehensive instruction manual, and have gone completely missing from any attempt to ask them questions.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #2,699 of 4,614
normal MP3 / FLAC and DSD files can be used with embedded pics (not tested with other music files).
Before I deleted all my pic-files from the folders, I had two kind of files - cover.jpg for the normal pic resolution (in my case 600*600) and folder.jpg with a thumbnail of the cover (200*200). In my case, AP80 does not use the files from the folder but the embedded cover (music playing via data base & via folder structure).
For a standard tagging u can use the tag program MP3tag and in addition you can upload your cover to the related album and tag it....
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #2,700 of 4,614
A program like JRiver will embed the file images to your files easily. Simple as searching for image within the program and letting it attach to your files. But, if you have your files on the Ap80 in folders, you can add an image to it, and it will display for all the files in that folder (if they are not already tagged). The image needs to be labeled cover.jpeg or folder.jpeg. It cannot be named TinyTim.jpeg, for example.
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have hundreds of Tiny Tim files and not have an image show up on your player.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back