AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jan 27, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,566 of 4,614
Thanks for the answers, maybe that’s what they meant but they definitely worded it as them wanting a picture of the items I received. I never kept the box that they sent it in but there was room for a leather case to go into it or even another player, I think.

Regardless of any resolution it’s going to be a while. Chinese New Year shuts down everywhere for a couple of weeks I’m not aspecting anything until later next month or even March.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #2,568 of 4,614
Hidizs support are useless. They finally replied to my email regarding my missing leather case and armband with the request to take a picture of what I received so that they can check their records and see what to do.

I know what a leather case is, and if I was trying to get a free leather case out of them I would just take a picture of everything apart from a leather case. It proves nothing apart from make this whole process more frustrating and prolonged than it needs to be.

I’m going to just shout into the void and tag @Hidizs Hk and @kenloveme in this. If one of you accidentally see this and feel like making this process less frustrating and not put the final nail into the coffin of my long running support in your company, you may do so and surprise me.

I am sure that not getting the case is disappointing and hope that they ship you a case quickly. Why would someone want 2 cases anyway...

But this is the company that we know "accidently" shipped a second AP80 with case to one honest customer. (From a few posts above). I would not be surprised if several other folks also got "second" shipments; Or got a "free" case included when not ordered. So, suspect their record keeping is not the best.

They do make good sounding devices, but customer service/support is not so great.

Hidizs says that thay have added 2 more CS people, and that should be a huge improvement in response. Extra people won't help if they don't trust customers, or treat them poorly. Time will tell...

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,569 of 4,614
Hidizs support are useless. They finally replied to my email regarding my missing leather case and armband with the request to take a picture of what I received so that they can check their records and see what to do.

I know what a leather case is, and if I was trying to get a free leather case out of them I would just take a picture of everything apart from a leather case. It proves nothing apart from make this whole process more frustrating and prolonged than it needs to be.

I’m going to just shout into the void and tag @Hidizs Hk and @kenloveme in this. If one of you accidentally see this and feel like making this process less frustrating and not put the final nail into the coffin of my long running support in your company, you may do so and surprise me.

When the headphone jack on my AP60ii died after 2.5 weeks they asked me to record a video showing that it was broken....

Typical Hidizs (lack of) support.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,570 of 4,614
Yeah, when my AP200 died (it wouldn’t Boot and the screen went black after the boot up logo) they kept me going through a string of tasks that were really frustrating. What happens if you do this, or that, what’s on the screen when you do this. To which all of my answers were “the screen goes blank after the boot logo” until they finally made me record a video of it and then reported back that they thought it had an issue and needed to be sent back. It was about three weeks of back and forth. At least they responded quickly.

I don’t mean to harp on them, but these resolutions do essentially make a worse situation out of a already bad one. The true mark of a company is not how they treat when when they’re selling you something but how they treat you after they have your money. Needless reports and test when you’ve already gone through them and said that in the original email is laborious and frustrating. Asking to see a photo of what they sent to prove that you didn’t get something is flawed on multiple levels and all these just add up to “while they offer products that appeal, I really don’t want to have to deal with them if things go wrong.”

And that’s a shame.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #2,571 of 4,614
Thanks for the answers, maybe that’s what they meant but they definitely worded it as them wanting a picture of the items I received. I never kept the box that they sent it in but there was room for a leather case to go into it or even another player, I think.

Regardless of any resolution it’s going to be a while. Chinese New Year shuts down everywhere for a couple of weeks I’m not aspecting anything until later next month or even March.

The leather case box is similar to the AP80 box, but smaller. Logo and all.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #2,572 of 4,614
it is the latest now
Oh man, fool me once, fool me twice.
I am one of the first backers....have the AP100, AP60Pro and AP80....

Now after the abysmal support for the AP60Pro (no updates after a unusable beta release) I am graced by another beta software that will stay forever with the AP80?

The players sound great, just fix the bloody software guys. For months now we get empty promises, make lists, explain things, with zero results. Very frustrating. Also I really need to stream at least aac to the player isn’t he absence of streaming apps on the device,,...

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,574 of 4,614
Hidizs did get back to me and said that they would send my missing case, which I appreciate greatly. I only wish they'd replied back in December as I'll probably have to wait until CNY has finished and returned to work. I can imagine that it won't arrive until around late Feb early March, which is nothing to those still waiting to receive their AP80 but is still a frustrating delay.

Thanks, Hidizs. I do appreciate you doing the right thing for me.

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #2,576 of 4,614
Just received my RED unit a couple of weeks ago on firmware 1.0. I'm not sure if this was previously answered but I've encountered issues such as the clock resetting/changing everytime I charge or plug the USB-C. Also, I've encountered a couple of instances when the player comes out of standby but no audio comes out despite playing a track, I had to restart/reboot the unit to have audio again. Otherwise, lovin' the sound on these.

Anybody encountered these as well?

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2,577 of 4,614
That's new. At least for me, that's the first time I'm hearing about the clock reset whenever the device is plugged into via USB-C. But the erratic audio playback has happened to me before. When I did upgrade to 1.0.1, it doesn't happen on the device itself. But the LDAC bi-directional streaming is messed up (streaming audio from smartphone, through AP80 to 3.5mm jack output). LDAC connection for audio output works fine on 1.0.1.

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,578 of 4,614
Just received my RED unit a couple of weeks ago on firmware 1.0. I'm not sure if this was previously answered but I've encountered issues such as the clock resetting/changing everytime I charge or plug the USB-C. Also, I've encountered a couple of instances when the player comes out of standby but no audio comes out despite playing a track, I had to restart/reboot the unit to have audio again. Otherwise, lovin' the sound on these.

Anybody encountered these as well?
This is correct!! It resets to14/7/18 in my case. Why I don't know but then step counter is not useful..
Hardware is good. Software need to be tested better!!!

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #2,579 of 4,614
I think I may have found a bug in the AP80, specifically, when using the AP80 connected to an LDAC-compatible receiver and it is being used as a USB-DAC -> Bluetooth Transmitter bridge. Basically, the USB-DAC works and changes the sample rate fine, but on the LDAC receiving side, it only works in 44.1Khz mode, meaning there's no audio transmitted on higher sample rates. This means, for example, that you'd be able to use the AP80 in USB DAC Mode and transmit the audio just in 44.1Khz to an LDAC-compatible receiver.

I made this video, where I show you what I mean by using the AP80 as a USB-DAC/LDAC Transmitter:

Hope Hidizs can see this and reply if this is a bug in their firmware or if it's the intended behavior. I also have to switch the Windows Sample Rate to 24-bit/44.1Khz for this to work.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,580 of 4,614
I received my blue AP80 few days ago from Amazon, and wanted to share my positive (so far) experience with this tiny DAP (even though I fully understand the anger and frustration of early backers still waiting for their order. Hidizs communication have been very poor for weeks).

The AP80 UI is very smooth and works flawlessly. I quickly got used to it. 1.0.1 beta firmware was pre-installed. I own a Fiio X5 III and it’s always been pretty slow (even turning it on was a real pain). AP80 installation on Win 10 computer was hassle-free, as DAC or storage. Files transfer speed is much greater than with Fiio (which is not always detected by PC). I’m using a 400 GB Sandisk micro SD card, with FLAC files. No problem with artwork, tags. Pictures on AP80 screen are crisper and brighter than on Fiio. Touch screen is fast, no need to tap twice (vs laggy Fiio…).

Sound quality is fine, I’m using Meze Classic 99 & Grado SR325 headphones, as well as Sennheiser IE80 IEMs.

About the wobbly volume knob: it can slightly move towards left or right but I think this might have been done on purpose (I could be completely wrong!): if you try to to turn the wheel with one finger only, it moves sideways, but it doesn’t spin. You need to hold it between two fingers to turn it properly. This might look like something annoying, but it prevents accidental change of volume when grabbing the AP80 from your pocket... Or maybe it’s just cheap QC!

Minor "issues" which I hope can be fixed with future firmware:
- I’m using AP80 on its own but also as a transport, paired with iFi micro iDSD. The (USB C) output volume is not fixed, which means I have to turn it to the max on AP80 (or at least to a fairly high level). Since the line output can be fixed, it would be cool if the USB C volume was too.
- iDSD must be turned on BEFORE connecting the AP80 (and AP80 must be switched off before disconnecting iDSD), otherwise the AP80 crashes. Crash resets time and date. Actually, this might be a problem with iDSD, as when turned off it "sees" whatever is connected via USB as a source of power, so maybe it drains current from AP80, which causes crash.
- I wish all audio players could sort music this way (Foobar app does it): genre/artist/album NOT just genre/album.
QKfYzhV.jpg

ijB3uzc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back