AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,816 of 4,614
Just got mine too but have a major concern...

Folks who has their ap80 in hand do me a favor and try something:

Hold it in your palm and clutch it like you would dice > shake the device in your hand lightly like you would a pair of dice > do you feel something moving? Like a part that isn't screwed down in place or something?

Mine is definitely shifting weight when I move it like that or even moving from my pocket to eye level

Other than that, red looks sexy as hell. Probably going to ask for a replacement though @kenloveme because this seems defective

Also the scroll wheel is totally loose if you wiggle it ever so slightly

Ouch! That sucks, I wonder if your red one was one of the defective ones that slipped through. Good luck with the replacement one- I hope they don’t ignore you.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,818 of 4,614
Yeah, just PM'd @kenloveme , hopefully he sees and responds soon!

Totally sucks, was hoping to break this baby in this month, oh well.

Hopefully he’ll come out of hiding because you know stuff loose inside a dap can’t be good. Even if it’s the battery, the movement can eventually loosen the contacts.

Of course let us know.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,820 of 4,614
No matter whether the smartphone is regular or LG... :) It is still a smartphone with only a fraction of architecure sufficient for good power arrangement, shielding and good sound quality. It might sound better than XXX smartphone but I would doubt that it comes even close to AP80 or any other "normal" DAP... I don't care how many people has jumped from DAPs to LG but the audio HW quality tests and numbers show that figures produced by smartphones might be interesting and not more than that. Furthermore, I am not saying that there is NO problem in DSD64 playback of AP80...I am saying that:
1. I personally haven't noticed that
2. I doubt that LG recreates the orginal SQ and noise floor in tracks better than AP80.

I would also check on my unit again.
BTW - people are getting their units with FW1.0 and I currently have FW0.9 cause Hidizs haven't provided me with the latest one yet. At least 1 major difference here.

I don't own an LG phone, but have looked at the measurements and specs. It uses one version higher of the Sabre dac then AP80 with quad burr brown opamps. I wouldn't expect the AP80 to match its sound quality. Be careful making large generalizations about "smartphone's"... There are at least two out there that rival stand-alone DAP's, and this is one of them. May be worthwhile to do some searching on head-fi for the measurements and make a judgment based upon some data.

Here are some measurements from their previous generation last smartphone:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/lg-v30-hi-res-smartphone-mqa-measurements

"Overall, LG's V30 measures well—not only for a smartphone, but for a legitimate hi-rez player.—John Atkinson"

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,821 of 4,614
I don't have mine yet but my friend and a very brief opinion of it (If Ken is looking at this forum, I've sent message to hello@ but have not gotten a reply back yet - basically tracking says i received but I don't have anything)

Keep in mind, this is all my opinion
In regards of sound, it's definitely no where near the best and with the type of songs I "mostly" listen to, even the Low-Tier Hi-Res Walkman sounds better. But as for bass heavier songs, which I don't listen to often but still do, they sound better with this.

I like the overall design of it, but I don't like it's touch sensitivity, it's to dull and I have to push an item a few times in order for it to go.

I wish there was a way to get to that Volume GUI without touching the knob since it's the easiest way to adjust the volume for me

For the price, it's definitely well worth it. In my situation: if i was simply on the Go and moving around, I would use this, but if I really wanted to concentrate and enjoy the music, I would use else like my NW-WM1A or the NW-ZX2. Basically, if convenience is the factor and without sacrificing lots of quality, this is highly a go but not for relaxing to your music.

I also got SEEDs from Amazon (even though I ordered with the KS campaign) for the Unblanced version...The headphones are both good and bad. It's bass heavy / deep so it sounds good with most electronica and pop, but it's not good for ambience.

Again, Ken, please get back to me regarding Tracking saying it arrived but in reality i haven't received anything

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,822 of 4,614
6BUDxRD.jpg

Sharing this as a warning to those who received their AP80, be careful with the wheel! After a day of use, the wheel came off from the thread while I was adjusting the volume. I was surprised and disappointed that this is the mechanism/assembly for the wheel that they used. Apparently, they used a tiny bit of glue instead of threadlocker solution(eg. loctite red/blue) to secure the wheel to the thread.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,823 of 4,614
6BUDxRD.jpg

Sharing this as a warning to those who received their AP80, be careful with the wheel! After a day of use, the wheel came off from the thread while I was adjusting the volume. I was surprised and disappointed that this is the mechanism/assembly for the wheel that they used. Apparently, they used a tiny bit of glue instead of threadlocker solution(eg. loctite red/blue) to secure the wheel to the thread.
Ewwwww!

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #1,824 of 4,614
6BUDxRD.jpg

easy to put back on?

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,826 of 4,614
You can still put it back by screwing it again but you won’t be able to lower the vol as turning it counter clockwise would loosen it.

at least you can get that volume meter on the screen, which i see it as the easiest way to adjust volume. my question is, is there any other way to get to this without touching the knob as I dont' really like spinning / turning knobs for any devices (due to the reason above)

fyi: i'm not talking abotu that small menu you get when you swipe up from the bottom. That menu is horrible to use, very small. i'm talking about the volume meter where the entire screen is nothing but

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,827 of 4,614
at least you can get that volume meter on the screen, which i see it as the easiest way to adjust volume. my question is, is there any other way to get to this without touching the knob as I dont' really like spinning / turning knobs for any devices (due to the reason above)

fyi: i'm not talking abotu that small menu you get when you swipe up from the bottom. That menu is horrible to use, very small. i'm talking about the volume meter where the entire screen is nothing but

Of course, you can still adjust the volume via the UI. I like using the wheel as I don't have to wake the screen every time I want to change the volume, saves battery. Only complaint is how it was constructed/assembled.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,828 of 4,614
Just got mine too but have a major concern...

Folks who has their ap80 in hand do me a favor and try something:

Hold it in your palm and clutch it like you would dice > shake the device in your hand lightly like you would a pair of dice > do you feel something moving? Like a part that isn't screwed down in place or something?

Mine is definitely shifting weight when I move it like that or even moving from my pocket to eye level

Other than that, red looks sexy as hell. Probably going to ask for a replacement though @kenloveme because this seems defective

Also the scroll wheel is totally loose if you wiggle it ever so slightly

I don't have the internal rattle.

As for the knob, I expected a tighter click and a more snug fit of the knob itself. It wobbles a lot onhand.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #1,829 of 4,614
Hmm I’m wondering if the pre production knob was more sturdy? It’s a little worrying because the knob for most folks is going to get quite a bit of use.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,830 of 4,614
... the knob would both the hell out of me... Fingers crossed this is not a common issue and one that is easily resolved for those who do have that problem.

As for backers... Anyone else out there from Canada?

I haven't heard a peep. I'm a late backers so would not be surprised if mine too a little longer...

@kenloveme - any love for Canada yet?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back