AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,786 of 4,614
1. Hi. I am not Russian (but know Russian as my second native) and it should be Dobrogo dnya - Ukrainian
Oops...sorry for using the wrong language. :cold_sweat: For some reason, all Google results point out to "dobryj den" being the standard Ukrainian equivalent of "hello". Looks like those are wrong, then.

I had standard shipping. Received my unit yesterday and got the email for shipping today. Go figure. . LOL
Damn they sure are late LOL. At least you have your AP80 delivered, regardless. Congrats!

Shame. Confirms the lies from Hidizs and shows that backers were not respected in pretty much any way. Were a couple of saved dollars worth all this trouble? Not for me.
Like I said 3 days ago, all listings of AP80 in AliExpress were all removed last Saturday, in which I find a bit strange, as if someone had told those sellers to stop selling AP80s for the mean time. Just my hunch, though. I guess that doesn't matter right now, as more and more backers are receiving their AP80s. XD

Initial impressions (1.0 firmware):

Positives--look, build, screen resolution, price, power (hard-to-drive 6xx headphones), overall sound
I can officially say that for such a tiny device, AP80's internal amp is powerful. On my Xduoo X3II, Audio Technica ATH-M50x sounds flat and stale, but on Hidizs AP80, it definitely brought out the best of that headphone. To be fair, the ATH-M50x isn't necessarily a power-hungry headphone (at 38 ohms), and it's supposed to be fairly easy to drive, but it underperforms on some DAPs like the aforementioned Xduoo X3II.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,789 of 4,614
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,791 of 4,614
I'd like to see more reactions concerning DSD on this. If it is noisy right now hopefully its something that can be fixed with FW updates?

I don't think that the problem is in DAC or HW part. I don't experience the same problem with DSD that are not ripped from vynil. Problem is that many DSD records would be ripped from vynil and would have much more dynamic range causing noise to come forward as well. Same behavior with other DAPs and DACs on the same records...

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,792 of 4,614
After turning the volume knob with the AP80 in my pocket, somehow the refresh the database was initiated and I had to wait for 12,000 files to be scanned. What a PITA. Right in the middle of a song I was totally enjoying, No Mercy by Pharaoh Monch.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,793 of 4,614
I don't think that the problem is in DAC or HW part. I don't experience the same problem with DSD that are not ripped from vynil. Problem is that many DSD records would be ripped from vynil and would have much more dynamic range causing noise to come forward as well. Same behavior with other DAPs and DACs on the same records...

That makes much sense, I'm hoping to experiment with some DSD when mine gets here. I've had some vinyl rips before but with my sources I didn't hear a great difference. They were mostly quiet too, not a lot of noise. Do you find using DSD is worth it for you?

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,794 of 4,614
Someone in this thread had successfully bought an AP80 from AliExpress already. If you bought your AP80 from Takstar or BrightAudio, then they will definitely deliver. :)

Phew! Then I'm lucky that I ordered one from BrightAudio. As this is my first AliExpress order, I was a little hesitant at first. Then I read the other user that ordered from them too and got DHL tracking rather quickly. :L3000:

Have you recieved your ‘backer’ one yet?

I actually ordered the AP80 on the Hidizs website, which had originally stated they would ship out in November. After reading this forum and KS comments, I decided to take a chance with AliExpress, and see which one would arrive first.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,795 of 4,614
That makes much sense, I'm hoping to experiment with some DSD when mine gets here. I've had some vinyl rips before but with my sources I didn't hear a great difference. They were mostly quiet too, not a lot of noise. Do you find using DSD is worth it for you?

These are not vinyl rips...direct from my original SACDs. Also, they don't have any noise with my LG phone with same DAC. I'll try FLAC and mp3 when i get a chance...but something doesn't sound right.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,796 of 4,614
I'd like to see more reactions concerning DSD on this. If it is noisy right now hopefully its something that can be fixed with FW updates?

These are not vinyl rips...direct from my original SACDs. Also, they don't have any noise with my LG phone with same DAC. I'll try FLAC and mp3 when i get a chance...but something doesn't sound right.
I have FLAC, MP3, M4A, and OGG on my AP80 (I don't have any DSD files at the moment, though), and they play without any noise/hiss. Looks like there are issues with DSD playback, as I also saw someone on that Filipino Facebook group complaining about a hiss when he played DSD64 files.

So the issues that needed to be addressed on the next firmware update are the typos (Vorbis being spelled as "VOROIS", etc.), the not-scrolling ticker text when the info is too long to show, Bluetooth pairing issues, and the DSD playback issue. I think there are more, but that's what I have encountered so far.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,797 of 4,614
Received shipping notice (via email) directly from Hidizs. Delivery should be imminent.

So consensus is to wait to format a new card in the AP80?
Steps to format a card in the device?
Been waiting to upload songs onto a new 400gb card.
Thanks for any advice, looking forward to trying out the AP80!

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,798 of 4,614
I also saw someone on that Filipino Facebook group complaining about a hiss when he played DSD64 files.

That would match what I've found...a shame because underneath the hiss/static, the sound is just sublime. Having enough power to drive 300ohm Sennheiser 6xx is no small feat.

As a humorous aside...better put one of those "tile trackers" on this thing--it's REALLY small!

And yes...be careful prying it out of the leather case once installed as it's a very tight fit for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,799 of 4,614
I also saw someone on that Filipino Facebook group complaining about a hiss when he played DSD64 files.

That would match what I've found...a shame because underneath the hiss/static, the sound is just sublime. Having enough power to comfortably drive 300ohm the Sennheiser 650/6xx is no small feat.

This may only be DSD in an ISO file as well (which is what my conversions make)--I need to check if I have any standalone DSD files I'm trying to play.

As a humorous aside...better put one of those "tile trackers" on this thing--it's REALLY small!

And yes...be careful prying it out of the leather case once installed as it's a very tight fit for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,800 of 4,614

My point is that I don't hear much of the difference in noise floor between AP80, AP200, Serenade iDSD, Sonata HD1000, Shanling M0, etc. Difference is mostly obvious between tracks or IEMs, rather than source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back