AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,773 of 4,614
Too bad, I asked about some kind of lock of the power button some time ago...

@kenloveme
Is there a specific place to speak about the firmware update?
(Probably better to have a specific single place instead of 'hello' at Hidizs, or you to check all messages to inform the company.)

The updated firmware is supposed to bring the LDAC and some typo corrections would need to be done.
Also wondering if some features could be requested, like setting the sensitivity of the power button (like push 2s)?

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,775 of 4,614
Shame. Confirms the lies from Hidizs and shows that backers were not respected in pretty much any way. Were a couple of saved dollars worth all this trouble? Not for me.

Anyways, congratulations and good luck with your unit, may it serve you well :wink:

I got a reply, not with tracking no. but asking for colour change from red to black or grey or wait till mid Dec. and if I switch they will send it asap. What ever asap mean...

Hopefully we will never need their customer service in case of guarantee, if they handle it like their ks projects and communication, we're doomed. :D

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #1,777 of 4,614
I guess Christmas just came early:

(as you can see, they could've installed that screen protector a little better)

Some initial impressions:
  • It's smaller than I expected, almost as small as a Sansa Clip Zip. I think Shanling M0 is still much smaller.
  • The leather case is a letdown. The button holes aren't aligned well, and it's veeeeeery difficult to remove the case once you put the AP80 on it. Better stick to the silicone case if you're not using it with the armband.
  • The power button incorporated on the knob is a bit sensitive. Hold it slightly, and it will power on.
  • Like I said above, they could've installed the screen protector a little better. Seeing those dust bubbles triggers my OCD. It's a very minor issue though LOL.
  • Screen display is great considering the price. It might not as vivid as Hiby R3 (it's a much more expensive device anyway, almost as twice as AP80's), but it looks good enough.
  • Didn't fiddled with the EQ and MSEB settings yet, but I could say it sounds great out of the box.
  • The internal amp is LOUD. I could only use around 50% on my KZ ZS10. Looks like it could drive much more power-hungry headphones/IEMs.
  • Unlike with what I've read on the Kickstarter comments, the default language is set to English, not in Chinese. Looks like that issue is mostly experienced by backers from the USA.
  • The Hiby-based UI is great, although they could've implemented the scrolling text display when the info is too long to show. They don't scroll at all. That is one of the issues the beta firmware has, and they didn't fixed it in the retail version. Other Hiby-based players (Xduoo X3II/X20, etc.) have that scrolling text display, so I'm wondering why AP80's Hiby OS doesn't do that. To Hiby R3 users: does it have the same issue? Hoping for a firmware update to fix this, but with their track record on AP200's firmware, I kinda doubt it.
  • Some typos in the UI. e.g. Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS". One of the things that could be corrected in a future firmware update.
  • For those who are anal regarding that Hi-Res Audio sticker like that guy in the Kickstarter comments, they included two in the package. Personally, I couldn't care less about a mere sticker.
  • Pairing with Bluetooth devices is a PITA. Took me several tries to successfully pair my KZ BT cable. For LDAC, I don't have any LDAC 'phones here, so I can't speak for that (and I don't see any LDAC options in Bluetooth, so it's definitely not on the firmware yet). This is definitely needs to be addressed on the next firmware update (if they'll ever release that...)

More pics and impressions to come. It's great that they delivered it via DHL, and it looks like what @kenloveme posted last week is pretty much what he really promised. They should improve on how they communicate with their backers, though.

1. Greetings!!!
2. It won't be easy to turn off or on in the pocket because there is a timeout that should be reached to initate either of those procedures. It is not immediate.
3. My unit (review sample) had extra screen protector inside the box - if you have the same - try to apply it better :)
4. Screen is excellent. Especially comparing to Shanling M0.
5. EQ and MSEB are located in HibyMusic app
6. Firmware upgrades would follow. Believe me. Very soon. Can't tell more for now.

Cheers

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,778 of 4,614
1. Greetings!!!
2. It won't be easy to turn off or on in the pocket because there is a timeout that should be reached to initate either of those procedures. It is not immediate.
3. My unit (review sample) had extra screen protector inside the box - if you have the same - try to apply it better :)
4. Screen is excellent. Especially comparing to Shanling M0.
5. EQ and MSEB are located in HibyMusic app
6. Firmware upgrades would follow. Believe me. Very soon. Can't tell more for now.

Cheers
1. Dobryj den! :D

2. Regarding the power button, oddly it looks like the sensitivity is fixed now. Looks like it fixed itself by repeated use.

3. Yes, it even has two pieces of the extra screen protectors included in the package (the additional one being one of the 2nd stretch goal bonuses, along with the silicone case). Well, I think the pre-applied screen protector with dust bubbles will stay for now, as I'm not that good in applying screen protectors, haha! Like I said before, it's just a very minor issue.

4. Well if AP80 has a better screen than Shanling M0 (which I also considered getting), then that's awesome. Like I said earlier, for the price, AP80 has a great LCD screen. At least it doesn't have washed-out colors like some of the other Chi-Fi DAPs out there.

5. I already know where the EQ and MSEB options are, and it's pretty obvious where they are (Player > Hidizs logo > MSEB, or Player > Hidizs logo > Equalizer). What I meant by "Didn't fiddled with the EQ and MSEB settings yet" is I haven't experimented with my ideal EQ and MSEB settings yet (not in the mood right now to play around with the sliders). To be fair, it sounds already great even without them IMO.

6. It's nice to know there are future plans for release already. Well. we'll see if they'll release something this time. I'm just speaking from what Hidizs did in AP200, in which they haven't released a much-needed FW update for that device.

And yeah, cheers to you, too! :beerchug:

The screen sensitivity - yes it could be better.
Yes, the screen sensitivity is somewhat disproportionate. The lower part is fine, but the upper part is iffy (IIRC, Hidizs acknowledged this issue, and hence the reason why the quick settings are slide up from the bottom of the screen, instead of sliding down from the upper part).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,780 of 4,614
That's exactly what it was...Red AP80 arrived today in Orlando via UPS. Finally...

Initial impressions (1.0 firmware):

Positives--look, build, screen resolution, price, power (hard-to-drive 6xx headphones), overall sound

Negatives (big)--DSD playback background noise/static way too high which can't be right...and this is with *any* headphones. Dont have IEM to try--need to try with other than DSD but that format is very noisy.

My LG phone using same DAC is dead quiet...so not sure what's going on with the AP80...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,781 of 4,614
Despite having ordered a red one, I haven't recieved an email asking me to pick another colour yet.
Then it means you'll receive your red AP80 definitely. I didn't received any email asking for a color change, and they really did delivered my red AP80 + the armband and black leather case.

So basically,
PROTIP: If you didn't received any email asking for a color change, then it's a surefire that you'll receive your red AP80.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,783 of 4,614
1. Dobryj den! :D

2. Regarding the power button, oddly it looks like the sensitivity is fixed now. Looks like it fixed itself by repeated use.

3. Yes, it even has two pieces of the extra screen protectors included in the package (the additional one being one of the 2nd stretch goal bonuses, along with the silicone case). Well, I think the pre-applied screen protector with dust bubbles will stay for now, as I'm not that good in applying screen protectors, haha! Like I said before, it's just a very minor issue.

4. Well if AP80 has a better screen than Shanling M0 (which I also considered getting), then that's awesome. Like I said earlier, for the price, AP80 has a great LCD screen. At least it doesn't have washed-out colors like some of the other Chi-Fi DAPs out there.

5. I already know where the EQ and MSEB options are, and it's pretty obvious where they are (Player > Hidizs logo > MSEB, or Player > Hidizs logo > Equalizer). What I meant by "Didn't fiddled with the EQ and MSEB settings yet" is I haven't experimented with my ideal EQ and MSEB settings yet (not in the mood right now to play around with the sliders). To be fair, it sounds already great even without them IMO.

6. It's nice to know there are future plans for release already. Well. we'll see if they'll release something this time. I'm just speaking from what Hidizs did in AP200, in which they haven't released a much-needed FW update for that device.

And yeah, cheers to you, too! :beerchug:

Yes, the screen sensitivity is somewhat disproportionate. The lower part is fine, but the upper part is iffy (IIRC, Hidizs acknowledged this issue, and hence the reason why the quick settings are slide up from the bottom of the screen, instead of sliding down from the upper part).

1. Hi. I am not Russian (but know Russian as my second native) and it should be Dobrogo dnya - Ukrainian
2. Self healing is a very good feature :)
3. Neither they are good at it. That is why, I think, they are giving you a chance for another try :)
4. True. Not like Shanling M0 :)
5. True again. No EQ is needed
6. They are trying to become better :)

Haven't noticed touchscreen issues. Anyway - there are adiditonal gestures in HibyOS that would help you to avoid targeting small icons - swipe from left to right to go back, etc...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,784 of 4,614
Yes, I received a DHL tracking number yesterday via SMS (yes, from DHL, not from Hidizs themselves), and it was delivered today. Looks like there's a lesser chance that you'll receive any tracking info if you have it shipped via standard shipping, judging from what I read in Kickstarter comments and here in this thread.
I had standard shipping. Received my unit yesterday and got the email for shipping today. Go figure. . LOL

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,785 of 4,614
Initial impressions (1.0 firmware):

Positives--look, build, screen resolution, price, power (hard-to-drive 6xx headphones), overall sound

Negatives (big)--DSD playback background noise/static way too high which can't be right...and this is with *any* headphones. Dont have IEM to try--need to try with other than DSD but that format is very noisy.

My LG phone using same 9218p is dead silent so it can't be the DAC chip itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back