AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #91 of 4,614
Anker, a very big electronic accessories company, used Kickstarter for their Eufy camera. They raised a bit over $3M. They could have easily came out with the camera w/o the Kickstarter campaign. They did it probably to test the market for such a camera.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #92 of 4,614
Well, I can say that the Kickstarter for the DH1000 Hidizs DAC/Amp went off without a hitch. Hidizs delivered on that one.
I’m not saying they won’t deliver. I just oppose the practice of using kickstarter like this. Reminds me of the practice of massive companies that buy off real estate to rent it on airbnb vs having long term renters.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #93 of 4,614
I’m not saying they won’t deliver. I just oppose the practice of using kickstarter like this. Reminds me of the practice of massive companies that buy off real estate to rent it on airbnb vs having long term renters.
I see what you mean. Hidizs seem to be trying it different ways. They offered the AP60 Pro on Massdrop for $85, which was IMO a very good deal (but two months late on delivery). I wonder how much they will offer the AP80 for on Kickstarter?

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #94 of 4,614
Exactly - they’re shifting the risk to their customers. Also, no returns, no warranty or guarantees, and you wait forever for the product to ship. I’ll stick with Fiio for now thank you very much.
Yeah, I ended up purchasing the fiio m7. I will try it out later. I had a feeling hidizs was going to do this. I would never buy anything on kickstarter myself. It still looks like a decent device but considering they never really updated the firmware version for the ap60 I think the m7 is a safer bet.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #96 of 4,614
They spent all that money on advertising and a freaking facebook chatbot but somehow couldn't spare an extra $50k for a decent product launch? Too many red flags for me.
Was hoping the Hiby R3 would be available to the masses by now but I guess I'll have to try the M7 instead.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #97 of 4,614
I can understand peoples frustrations with companies using Kickstarter (especially large companies with millions to spend!), but it's a suoerb platform for small companies to gauge interest in their products and cut down on financial risks - not to mention a crap ton of free advertising.

More often than not it's the only way smaller campanies can fund next gen development and manufacture.

Taking Hiby & Hidizs as perfect examples of companies who have delivered before through Kickstarter I'd see it as massively low risk.

Right now I'm torn between an R3 when they finally become available, and this AP80.

This smaller form factor and physical knob are big sellers, but then the balanced port on the Hiby is something I'd love to try which the AP80 doesn't have.

Tough decision.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #98 of 4,614
FF37008B-3788-4BF1-8503-B12CD46DE3F1.png 803FBEF5-FA54-4D86-B7B3-A6788C03C892.png 8B27C79A-36E2-439B-A4A1-FAC3DD38058E.png Just an off topic here juat want to share my experience with HIDIZS :triportsad:

Seems like I am having a hard time getting my prize from HIDIZS' raffle last February of this year. Oh DH1000 where are you now...

Tried contacting hidizs via facebook, here on headfi and on their email support but with no luck. Sad..

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #100 of 4,614
And I keep getting bombarded by AP80 ads on FB. Seems like a classic misalignment between marketing and production.
I gave up on waiting and scored a Hiby from a fellow headfier. Just wasn't completely sold on the M7 at that price range.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #102 of 4,614
All the Instagram ads are driving me nuts. They don't seem to reply to messages either.

I know you need to build hype before a launch, but iys getting a bit ott without any word of a launch date. But then I am massively impatient and really want one :wink:

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #103 of 4,614
r3 certainly tops this because of WiFi, but I want something smaller. Basically I want to use it as a Bluetooth reciver so smaller the better!

According to the specs published this is more or less the same size of the M0 yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back