AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,973 of 4,614
The album art isn't cached in RAM or in reduced thumbnail size in a special area of storage, so it rebuilds the graphic listing every time you scroll by reaching into the metadata for album art (I'd actually be fine with removing the album thumbnails and getting more lines of text on the screen, but some folks love the thumbnails). Other tags are also read on-the-fly instead of being kept in faster access areas, but the art is the most noticeable. The file number limit may not be a problem if you only use hi-res files, but if you have include a number of MP3 files, you could hit the limit very easily with a 256 GB card - this seems silly on a machine that ostensibly can handle 2 terabytes of storage.

I wouldn't characterize it as "worst performance" because I also have a Ruizu A50 - that thing has the slowest interface I've seen since the days of the Creative Nomad. In fact, I rather like the AP80 overall. I wish the promised podcast support would actually be a thing, but I assume that Ken was lying when he said they were working on it.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,975 of 4,614
Excuse my ignorance, but what does that mean? Limit of the database and it not being cached and how that affects performance? I’m curious.
-> for example a SQL database -> many fields for cover, artist, title and so on....filled with numeric, alpha numeric or other information -> these are entities / records, a bundle of records is a table, many tables are the database
If you create a database you have to create a schema -> which includes, tables, views, indexes and so on
with this schema you create the table space with all information about storage, indexes and so on -> this is important for the database performance!
Without a good table space and indexes you can see a worst database where the database will create all the entries / indexes new when you start the database. And you have this issue for all items / index such artist, title, genre, cover and so on. For AP80 you can see a bad created database.... the databank designer has to re-structure this database....but it seems there is no good database designer @Hidizs :D

btw. it's not just the cover-caching, all items are affected. For example. You have many albums @genre "techno". When I open the table / view genre, there is no reaction of the AP80 anymore until the database is indexing the files with displaying afterwards. We are talking about of several minutes non-reaction! For a larger file amount you cannot use that database...maybe the reason of the file limit...Hidizs knows about this problem / issue!

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #2,976 of 4,614
-> for example a SQL database -> many fields for cover, artist, title and so on....filled with numeric, alpha numeric or other information -> these are entities / records, a bundle of records is a table, many tables are the database
If you create a database you have to create a schema -> which includes, tables, views, indexes and so on
with this schema you create the table space with all information about storage, indexes and so on -> this is important for the database performance!
Without a good table space and indexes you can see a worst database where the database will create all the entries / indexes new when you start the database. And you have this issue for all items / index such artist, title, genre, cover and so on. For AP80 you can see a bad created database.... the databank designer has to re-structure this database....but it seems there is no good database designer @Hidizs :D

btw. it's not just the cover-caching, all items are affected. For example. You have many albums @genre "techno". When I open the table / view genre, there is no reaction of the AP80 anymore until the database is indexing the files with displaying afterwards. We are talking about of several minutes non-reaction! For a larger file amount you cannot use that database...maybe the reason of the file limit...Hidizs knows about this problem / issue!

Ah, I see. I have not used the genre indexing (mainly because I don't have my tags all correct as far as genre yet). But, okay, I see where that would be annoying for sure.

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,977 of 4,614
So I got the AP80 as a gift. I am wondering I should keep it or return it because of all the issues and get either the FIIO M6 or Hiby R3?

I mostly would use it to listen to ALAC, WAV, and MP3 files on the go. Do not plan to use many of the other features. I just want the best sound for $150. Are the other issues bad enough that it still isnt worth it for this use?

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,978 of 4,614
So I got the AP80 as a gift. I am wondering I should keep it or return it because of all the issues and get either the FIIO M6 or Hiby R3?

I mostly would use it to listen to ALAC, WAV, and MP3 files on the go. Do not plan to use many of the other features. I just want the best sound for $150. Are the other issues bad enough that it still isnt worth it for this use?

If you're going to use it solely to listen to files you already have and aren't streaming, I'd definitely suggest giving the AP80 a chance.. you can always sell or trade it afterward if it doesn't offer you the experience you're looking for.

IMO for a standalone player you won't find much better sound at that price point, and certainly not at that size player. It punches way above it's size for sure.

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,979 of 4,614

It depends on what "other features" you consider essential. It supports playlists, folder-based navigation, and database-centric navigation. It can transmit AptX and LDAC over BlueTooth. It has buttons to navigate forward/back/pause and volume knob, for eyes-off use. It has decent battery life. If you aren't looking for something other than that, the AP80 should be great.

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,980 of 4,614
Hello, sorry if the question bothers but I am still doubting that DAP buy for a Fiio F9 PRO, I was thinking about the Fiio M6 but discard it because the software did not convince me.
Now I'm looking at this AP80 Hidizs and Sony NW a45 that I'm down to about 180. My question is which of the two suits more and why? I'm looking for the best possible battery and to listen to the best possible, I have all the music downloaded, I'm not interested in streaming.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,981 of 4,614
Just listened to this after a break, still can’t believe how clear, punchy and dynamic this thing can sound.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,984 of 4,614
Hi, when I am using teh AP80 in my car with Bluetooth, it stops after each track. Does anybody have the same problem ? I looked everywhere in the car and the AP80's BT options and could not find anything. Any ideas ? Thanks.
Maybe try changing something in the Play settings like: Play mode, play through folders, play through albums? Maybe try a factory reset?
I don't have that problem in my car.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back