AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jun 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #2,990 of 4,614
I recently got a pair of inexpensive "true wireless" earbuds from a company called Haylou. They're very comfortable and small, but are only SBC/AAC capable. While I've used SBC speakers and headphones with the AP80 before (almost daily with an Anker Soundcore), this is the only one that has given the AP80 trouble. I leave the AP80 set to high quality mode, and have it negotiate a codec. With my AptX headphones, it's fine, and with the SBC speaker, it's also fine. When I tried to pair the Haylou buds, they appeared to pair correctly, showing the S indicator for SBC, but as soon as I hit "play" on the AP80, the DAP would reboot. Setting the AP80 to SBC mode fixed it. The AP80 pairs quickly with the buds without a problem.

So, are there other SBC devices that require this manual configuration, or is this especially twiddly?

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,991 of 4,614
I recently got a pair of inexpensive "true wireless" earbuds from a company called Haylou. They're very comfortable and small, but are only SBC/AAC capable. While I've used SBC speakers and headphones with the AP80 before (almost daily with an Anker Soundcore), this is the only one that has given the AP80 trouble. I leave the AP80 set to high quality mode, and have it negotiate a codec. With my AptX headphones, it's fine, and with the SBC speaker, it's also fine. When I tried to pair the Haylou buds, they appeared to pair correctly, showing the S indicator for SBC, but as soon as I hit "play" on the AP80, the DAP would reboot. Setting the AP80 to SBC mode fixed it. The AP80 pairs quickly with the buds without a problem.

So, are there other SBC devices that require this manual configuration, or is this especially twiddly?
I’ve noticed that if I let the AP80 set the codec, I’ll get a small tick noise on my car stereo. If I set it manually to sbc, I don’t get the tick. That’s about all I’ve noticed between the two.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,992 of 4,614
I'm taking delivery of one of these today. I'll be using it through my car speakers hooked up to my head unit that I had a headphone cable attached to but can also accept USB. So does this output on both the headphone and USB connections? And if so is one inherently better than the other sound quality wise?

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #2,993 of 4,614
I'm taking delivery of one of these today. I'll be using it through my car speakers hooked up to my head unit that I had a headphone cable attached to but can also accept USB. So does this output on both the headphone and USB connections? And if so is one inherently better than the other sound quality wise?

Yes, if the headphone has a DAC it can work by USB. And the quality is up to you, if you like the AP80 sound more than the one from your USB headphones.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,994 of 4,614
Yes, if the headphone has a DAC it can work by USB. And the quality is up to you, if you like the AP80 sound more than the one from your USB headphones.

I know this is a headphone forum but I won't be using them. I want to use the AP80 DAC and output to my head unit. So if I output from the AP80 to my head unit using the headphone jack I'm using the AP80's DAC and if I output via USB I'm using the connected device's DAC....is that correct?

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,995 of 4,614
I know this is a headphone forum but I won't be using them. I want to use the AP80 DAC and output to my head unit. So if I output from the AP80 to my head unit using the headphone jack I'm using the AP80's DAC and if I output via USB I'm using the connected device's DAC....is that correct?

Oh you mean using the USB-C as an input and outputting to the 3.5mm jack? That's completely possible.

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #2,996 of 4,614
Yes, that is correct!

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #2,999 of 4,614
Hi guys, I’m not an audiophile man but I have one question. I have an LG V20 and I would like to know if it is worth to buy the Fiio M6 as a lg v20 audio replacement?
Should be better. But why not ask in the M6 thread? There should be more folks with advice there than in the HIDIZS AP80 thread.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #3,000 of 4,614
Just received the AP80....when I opened it I figured the 'small wrapped thing' must be the battery :^ / Literally this thing is less than half the size I thought it would be. Not complaining I just can't believe how small electronics have got. I also ordered a Sandisk 256GB Micro SD card and at first I thought the included adapter was the card. I guess I'm just old. I'm 66 yrs old and starting in the computer field in 1973 when it would have taken about 5000 sq ft of space to house enough memory cabinets to equal 256 GB which in this case is less than the size of a dime. I mean, I've got an Intel NUC that I use as my music server so I know how things have shrunk, but this is another story altogether for what it's got packed into it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back