AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jan 11, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,446 of 4,614
This, I just love this. Mine is still stuck in Hong Kong according to the shipping information I got a couple of days ago but you bought it from Aliexpress and you've already received your unit. My gawd this is just unreal. So glad I back from Kickstart, I could have purchased from Aliexpress or now Amazon and have had it for at least weeks now. If this unit every shows up I believe it will just be put up for sale with the package still sealed. Done with Hidizs and their questionable business practices.
Yeah that really sucks main reason why I have never backed anything on Kickstarter. I've always seen tons of different Kickstarter campaigns sell stuff at the same time backers are waiting and it's really bad. Also seeing some people getting theirs before others and the fact that you can buy multiple other colors than was offered to backers. When I bought mine I was shocked to see it on AliExpress and in the blue color. Also the fact I'll have mine in a little over 2 weeks from time of ordering. The only thing I can think of is that they are targeting China as their first market since it's their home country and easy to move from factory to market. But I agree completely it's a very bad practice and not good for their customers.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,449 of 4,614
So is this player worth buying or am I better off with a fiio m6?

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #2,451 of 4,614
Just received my red AP80 yesterday and oh boy, I made a complete 180 here! All my frustrations with Hidizs vanished as I used the AP80. I was sure before that I would sell it once it arrived due to several posts talking about hardware issued but I just couldn't resist opening it. I took the risk and I think it paid off.

It was really smaller than what I expected. All buttons are fine with my unit. My only complaint is the scroll wheel is too sensitive and a bit too loose, but I don't see it breaking any time soon, at least for now. That leather case tho, It was a waste of money if not for the armband included. Such poor fit and quality. We should be compensated for this or at least given a better quality replacement.

It's really fun to play with the MSEB cos it's really responsive just don't overdo it. I just wished it could've used a + or - signs for adjusting everything in the UI that uses a sideways slider because it's really hard to adjust the slider precisely with that small screen. What do you guys think? Now, this would be a complete product for me once the support for podcasts and audiobooks arrives (hopefully).

--
And the DAC function works perfectly as well, it's just plug-and-play for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #2,453 of 4,614
You're better off with a Fiio M6 if you don't want to regret later. Yes, the M6 is a bit expensive than the AP80, but you'll definitely get your money's worth with M6, given Fiio's track record.

I have AP80 and am currently waiting on M6. If M6 is anything like M7, I would also lean towards the FiiO, but it depends on the usage scenario, as well as the price difference. AP80 is a very potent little DAP, and for its size, it is more o an iPod Shuffle sized DAP that you can clip and to jogging with than a typical sized DAP.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,454 of 4,614
That leather case tho, It was a waste of money if not for the armband included. Such poor fit and quality. We should be compensated for this or at least given a better quality replacement.

It's really fun to play with the MSEB cos it's really responsive just, don't overdo it. I just wished it could've used a + or - signs for adjusting everything in the UI that uses a sideways slider because it's really hard to adjust the slider precisely with that small screen. What do you guys think? Now, this would be a complete product for me once the support for podcasts and audiobooks arrives (hopefully).

Very much +1 on the leather case :)

As for the MSEB, I like it quite a lot too, and yeah, it's a bit hard to use the sliders... one possible little help (which you might already be aware of, though), is the possibility of fiddling in the settings on how large the sliders are - you can select +/- 20, +/40, +/- 100. On 100, it's really a bit tough to fine tune. On 20 or 40 it's easier. Ofc, if you want to finetune above 40, there's nothing much you can do, apart from wishing from smaller fingers :) (or maybe use a touch pen)

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #2,455 of 4,614
It's really fun to play with the MSEB cos it's really responsive just don't overdo it. I just wished it could've used a + or - signs for adjusting everything in the UI that uses a sideways slider because it's really hard to adjust the slider precisely with that small screen. What do you guys think? Now, this would be a complete product for me once the support for podcasts and audiobooks arrives (hopefully).
As noted by @titanquests69 and in earlier posts, rather big fingers here for the small screen and controls. The touch pen is definitively a more precise way to adjust the sliders, and other control items.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #2,456 of 4,614
I have AP80 and am currently waiting on M6. If M6 is anything like M7, I would also lean towards the FiiO, but it depends on the usage scenario, as well as the price difference. AP80 is a very potent little DAP, and for its size, it is more o an iPod Shuffle sized DAP that you can clip and to jogging with than a typical sized DAP.
Yeah, for a DAP of such a size, AP80 is almost perfect; sound and screen quality, and like you mentioned, portability are great. I've said "almost" because of the firmware issues that needed to be addressed in a future update and Hidizs' spotty after-sales service and lack of communication to their customers. If he have a bit more money to spare, then he should save himself from disappointment and settle for M6.

Just my suggestion, as someone who also used AP80 for two months. I'm kinda contemplating on selling my AP80 and then buy the M6. I'm still waiting for Hidizs to release a proper firmware update with most of the issues that are reported in this thread finally addressed, and no, ver. 1.0.1 beta doesn't count, as the only significant fix in that update was the LDAC support (and even then, it still has issues).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,457 of 4,614
Ever Wonder Why You Didn't Receive a Tracking # ?

I received my red AP80 in Dec. I never was asked if I wanted to change colors or wait for red, and I never received a tracking number. It just showed up one day in the PO. All is good with it, I like it.

Then on Jan 5 I received a notice that my AP80 had been shipped. The e-mail had my correct address and Kickstarter #. I was supplied a tracking number by Aftership that showed my AP80 had been shipped on Dec. 12. Today it was delivered to a hopefully happy user in Palm Coast Florida. I'll bet he was surprised because he didn't receive his tracking #, I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back