AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #2,026 of 4,614
Thank you so much for your time and interest. I have it plugged in. I have not been able to get line-out OR usb working on either AP80 or R 3. R6 works on both
The Line Out should definitely work on the AP80 as it’s probably just an attenuation of what is being output in Headphone mode in High gain (at least that’s how most DAPs work that don’t have a “true” Line Out, and as far as I know AP80 is not “true”). So, if you’re getting sound from your Headphone output, just plug it in in that mode as a workaround.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,027 of 4,614
The Line Out should definitely work on the AP80 as it’s probably just an attenuation of what is being output in Headphone mode in High gain (at least that’s how most DAPs work that don’t have a “true” Line Out, and as far as I know AP80 is not “true”). So, if you’re getting sound from your Headphone output, just plug it in in that mode as a workaround.
Good idea. I’ll try that tomorrow

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,031 of 4,614
Has anyone tried to connect a portable hard drive to the AP80 via the usb otg cable? My hdd lights up when plugged into the AP80, but the dap always asks me to "connect a drive" when I tap on it.
Perhaps I need extra power, or some proper order to plugin the hdd, and power on the device?
Let me know if anyone else has tried any.

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,032 of 4,614
I do not own the AP80, but I can tell you this, a portable hdd will not work. The files format needs to be exFAT, and a low power device. A portable HDD uses NTFS for the file format, and it will also require too much power to work properly.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,033 of 4,614
Does anyone know of any DSD output settings? Because DSD playback is noisy as hell. It sounds like someone is tuning a short wave radio- then hiss that isn’t present on the recording at the beginning seconds before music starts. Then I can hear added hiss in silent passages and quiter parts.

I was going to try to set it to DOP or native or d2p so I maybe could get rid of the noise but I can’t find any DSD settings.

This is the first time I’ve tried DSD and they sound horrible. And there isn’t anything wrong with the files they sound wonderful and noise free on my other daps- even on M0. Hopefully Hidizs fixes this with the other problems.

If this was my primary dap, I’d really be disappointed.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #2,035 of 4,614
Does anyone know of any DSD output settings? Because DSD playback is noisy as hell. It sounds like someone is tuning a short wave radio- then hiss that isn’t present on the recording at the beginning seconds before music starts. Then I can hear added hiss in silent passages and quiter parts.

I was going to try to set it to DOP or native or d2p so I maybe could get rid of the noise but I can’t find any DSD settings.

This is the first time I’ve tried DSD and they sound horrible. And there isn’t anything wrong with the files they sound wonderful and noise free on my other daps- even on M0. Hopefully Hidizs fixes this with the other problems.

i've tried 64 and 128 (don't know about 256) but in regards of playing, it did it perfectly fine for me. it should all be default settings when i tested it.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #2,036 of 4,614

Yup, no there doesn’t seem to be any DSD settings which is unusual. There is definitely hissing on otherwise quiet DSD files. They’ll definitely have to fix that and quick hopefully.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,037 of 4,614
I do not own the AP80, but I can tell you this, a portable hdd will not work. The files format needs to be exFAT, and a low power device. A portable HDD uses NTFS for the file format, and it will also require too much power to work properly.

I should've stated that I formatted my small Seagate external hdd as FAT32 (if that will actually work). Perhaps if I get a USB Y cable so that I can plug one end to a wall outlet or battery pack.
What type of power chargers are people using to plug the AP80 into the wall?

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #2,038 of 4,614
What type of power chargers are people using to plug the AP80 into the wall?
As far as I remember the AP80 does not have smart-charging capability. The specs are 5V/2A USB power adapter. Any wall type USB power adapter able to deliver 2A (or more) would do.

Edit: You could check the requirement for your external HD. The same 5V power unit could be used for both player and HD...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,039 of 4,614
Mine's just arrived. Slight delay with UK customs. £12 charge to pay but in my hands now. I was backer #1658. (Grey with brown case)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back