Anyone using the TTVJ Slim ?
Jul 9, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 51
I'm  newb and the TTVJ slim w/DAC is my first amp.  I use it with Grado 325i (50th anniversary) and ety er4p (and have non-OEM S cable).  My DAP is an iphone 4 and I've recently purchased an ipod 240GB 5.5G and am getting it modded by a fellow head-fier along with a cap'd LOD (point being - iphone 4 and MB aluminum are only sound sources.  I'm not totally up to date with lingo (still learning) but the transparency, sound separation, and ability to hone in on each individual instrument (funk/soul/jazz) is only enhanced using the TTVJ slim with my ER4Ps.  I guess what I'm also trying to say is that the highs are better emphasized as well. 

In the past my only gripe with the ER4P (my first "high-end" IEM purchase from craigslist) was that it lacked the bass response that I LOVE.  With the TTVJ slim the bass response is also MUCH improved.  I'm a bass-head (to the point where some folks may say that it interferes with the rest of the sound frequencies) and so although I'd like more bass output from the TTVJ slim, the bass output it provides is definitely more than adequate, acceptable, and enjoyable. 

With the Grados, lows, mids, and highs are all that I could ever ask for with the TTVJ slim.  Only bummer is that they are open designed and so I can't listen to them at work or for that matter in public.  (I guess I COULD, but choose not to).  Not sure if I'm describing this accurately, but the highs that some folks say is "fatiguing" with Grados - I personally prefer and prefer even moreso with the TTVJ slim.  I now have a better idea as to what a "warm" sound - sounds like. 

Because I'm "that guy" and love my bass, I ordered a headstage arrow 3G (apparently Robert from headstage still has them in stock as he offered one to me 2/2 my inquiry to ability to order a 4G with the bass response of 3G).  Despite response time being a bummer (apprx. 33% of emails are answered), I'm still awaiting shipping status/what not of my arrow 3G.  The gentleman from TTVJ was ALWAYS awesome and patient in answering any questions I had about my SLIM and am very thankful about that being my "newb" status and questions.  Please let me know if you have any other questions and I can provide you with a consumer-grade/newb answer to your inquiries.  You definitely won't be disappointed by the TTVJ slim!

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #47 of 51
I have to respectfully disagree on the gain switch issue. I find it impossible, if not down right difficult to use. The pin toothpick thing doesn't help much. Even using this technique you still have to push the switch down into the case. This is problematic at best because you often need too much downward force before trying to slide left right. Translation, its easy to break by pushing in

Now I understand the need for safety but i designate the switch as a design Flaw. Given the other products out there there must be a better way to implement this thing safely without undue shifting in a pocket etc. Bottom line for me the switch has broken twice.

With that said i spoke to todd briefly on this issue and i seem to be in the minority camp. Todd also graciously repaired mine switch for free the first time. However, this time I dont feel like shipping it back yet again and im stuck in low gain mode. My two cents, if you plan on using this with different set ups beware. I detest this switch. Or maybe im just a real doofus....

On the audio side of thing i have used it with both shure and westone portables and the sound is a home run for my preferences. A great great product sonically . I dont leave home without it-literally. Zero stridency !!!!

Otoh i cant use it at home with my senns because at least for me the gain switch is impossible. Objectively speaking, unless you have the skills of a watchmaker, i would consider it a fixed gain amp....

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #48 of 51

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree on the gain switch issue. I find it impossible, if not down right difficult to use. The pin toothpick thing doesn't help much. Even using this technique you still have to push the switch down into the case. This is problematic at best because you often need too much downward force before trying to slide left right. Translation, its easy to break by pushing in

Now I understand the need for safety but i designate the switch as a design Flaw. Given the other products out there there must be a better way to implement this thing safely without undue shifting in a pocket etc. Bottom line for me the switch has broken twice.

With that said i spoke to todd briefly on this issue and i seem to be in the minority camp. Todd also graciously repaired mine switch for free the first time. However, this time I dont feel like shipping it back yet again and im stuck in low gain mode. My two cents, if you plan on using this with different set ups beware. I detest this switch. Or maybe im just a real doofus....

On the audio side of thing i have used it with both shure and westone portables and the sound is a home run for my preferences. A great great product sonically . I dont leave home without it-literally. Zero stridency !!!!

Otoh i cant use it at home with my senns because at least for me the gain switch is impossible. Objectively speaking, unless you have the skills of a watchmaker, i would consider it a fixed gain amp....

Wow, The gain switch is easy to adjust--you don't push in at all!!!

I don't really need to adjust it, I did a bit when I first got it just to try out things--it's not hard, though. You do need a proper implement--maybe you didn't have the right tool and tried to force things? The butt end of a sewing needle and a gentle hand are the perfect tools--you just put the tail end of the needle in the slot in which the switch lives and gently coax it over to the next position--it's entirely a horizontal movement. Never push in on the switch. Ever. Just in case you don't have a needle and to prove it was easy, just now I took a mechanical pencil, retracted the pencil lead entirely and used the fine tip of the mechanical pencil (not the graphite, but the pencil itself) to do the same job. The needle was a superior instrument, but with a gentle touch the mech pencil did the job.

Of course, I DO have the skills of a watchmaker (I have a fine-motor-skill intensive vocation), so maybe that's part of it...
wink_face.gif

But, we agree on the sound, it's excellent!

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #50 of 51
I have to agree that the gain switch seems poorly-designed.  Granted, I bought a used unit which may have already had some damage to the gain switch, but my switch has somehow snapped and fallen out twice now.  Pete fixed it the first time, but I haven't gotten around to sending it back after it broke again.

It's an awesome-sounding amp, but I ended up ordering the Pico Slim mostly because the TTVJ's gain seems to be too high with the Cypher Solo (admittedly an extremely hot source) and my customs.  Once I get the Pico, I'll send the TTVJ back for repair to confirm that I was actually on the lowest gain and I'll try to compare the sound sigs. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #51 of 51

Quote:
I have to agree that the gain switch seems poorly-designed.  Granted, I bought a used unit which may have already had some damage to the gain switch, but my switch has somehow snapped and fallen out twice now.  Pete fixed it the first time, but I haven't gotten around to sending it back after it broke again.

It's an awesome-sounding amp, but I ended up ordering the Pico Slim mostly because the TTVJ's gain seems to be too high with the Cypher Solo (admittedly an extremely hot source) and my customs.  Once I get the Pico, I'll send the TTVJ back for repair to confirm that I was actually on the lowest gain and I'll try to compare the sound sigs. 

This has been dormant for a while, but having just run across it...  I'm thinking that perhaps there is something off with your used Slim.  I've had mine for a couple of days and am using it on lowest gain with a Solo and customs, and there's plenty of room on the volume range, and no hiss at all. 

Beyond that, I really like it a lot.  Compared to the RxII, there's perhaps a little better separation and air.  It's subtle - they're both really nice - but it's there.  And the volume control is lovely, very gradual and accurate.  Very nice piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back