Anyone try the Audioquest DragonFly DAC/Amp yet?
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:
I have no idea, and why does it matter? It's not about the chip, it's about the final implementation...

Both matter, and mainly as a point of curiosity.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #33 of 63
I wonder if my forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S3 will be able to run this DAC properly. I could see myself attaching this sucker with or without the RSA Shadow to the back of a hard-shell case I could just pop off when I don't need the SQ :D Holy crap that would be niftysauce.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #34 of 63
Yeah I too am wondering if the CCK via the iPad can make the dragonfly work

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 63
Nice article from CNET. What do you guys think?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57463791-47/a-tiny-usb-digital-to-analog-converter-from-audioquest/?tag=txt;title

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #41 of 63
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #42 of 63
As an update from my previous post, I ended up returning my Dragonfly. I ran into some showstopping technical issues with it on Vista x64 and Win7 x64 (my desktop and laptop, respectively). Inaudible volume levels on Vista and crackling/staticky sound on Win7, neither of which I was able to fix. Maybe I had a faulty unit, but the experience turned me off. The work PC that I tested it on was an XP 32-bit box btw, had no issues with it on that OS.

I've gone back to the Bithead for my at-work use and will probably look into an AC-powered USB DAC eventually for home instead.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #43 of 63
Great to know it works perfectly with Mac. Has anyone compared it with iBasso D12? I know it is a very compact little DAC, but for my laptop bag, not much difference. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #44 of 63
Quote:
As an update from my previous post, I ended up returning my Dragonfly. I ran into some showstopping technical issues with it on Vista x64 and Win7 x64 (my desktop and laptop, respectively). Inaudible volume levels on Vista and crackling/staticky sound on Win7, neither of which I was able to fix. Maybe I had a faulty unit, but the experience turned me off. The work PC that I tested it on was an XP 32-bit box btw, had no issues with it on that OS.

I've gone back to the Bithead for my at-work use and will probably look into an AC-powered USB DAC eventually for home instead.

What player software were you using ?
I have discovered that in foobar2000 with wasapi the buffer has to be right at the minimum of 50ms or you get horrible crackling. It seem to be a problem with async communication as apparently the HeadStreamer has the exact same problem

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:
What player software were you using ?
I have discovered that in foobar2000 with wasapi the buffer has to be right at the minimum of 50ms or you get horrible crackling. It seem to be a problem with async communication as apparently the HeadStreamer has the exact same problem

I tried both Foobar and J River, with no difference between them. I should note that I experienced the inaudible volume and crackling at all times - not just when playing music. Both issues manifested on regular Windows audio playback from both DVD and online-streaming sources (i.e., Netflix). I also never used WASAPI and used only ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back