Anyone try the Audioquest DragonFly DAC/Amp yet?
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

sbradley02

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

Specs on something this small seems almost too good to be true.

Need some listening impressions, especially using the headphone driver.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 63
Quote:
saw it at THE Show in Newport Beach, but didn't get to test it...

should be tested side by side with the Centrance DACport I suppose...

Another interesting product. Thanks for the reference.

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 63
Im not sure this is the appropriate place for this thread, but i heard it it yesterday at ChiUniFi6, and i was very impressed. it sounded significantly better than the Calyx Coffee that i compared it to back to back, and it sounded about the same as my Audio-GD Sparrow, all in an extremely diminuitive package. color me impressed.

thoguh this was listening to it with JH-13s, i dont know how it would fair with fullsized cans using the internal amp at least, but jude said he used even the LCD-3s straight out of it, and said they sounded not too bad.

this is definitely a product people should be looking at. if i did a lot of portable listening with a laptop, i would get one in a heartbeat.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:
Im not sure this is the appropriate place for this thread, but i heard it it yesterday at ChiUniFi6, and i was very impressed. it sounded significantly better than the Calyx Coffee that i compared it to back to back, and it sounded about the same as my Audio-GD Sparrow, all in an extremely diminuitive package. color me impressed.

thoguh this was listening to it with JH-13s, i dont know how it would fair with fullsized cans using the internal amp at least, but jude said he used even the LCD-3s straight out of it, and said they sounded not too bad.

this is definitely a product people should be looking at. if i did a lot of portable listening with a laptop, i would get one in a heartbeat.

Ah yes, those are the sorts of impressions I am looking for. Jude said he's also written something up on this. Patiently awaiting his post(s) on it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 63
Looks stupidly expensive for what it is... but I guess that doesn't shock me, coming from a company that sells "audiophile" cables

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:
Looks stupidly expensive for what it is... but I guess that doesn't shock me, coming from a company that sells "audiophile" cables

This exactly. I can't be totally sure, but I'm sure their flagship power cable sells for above $7000 on Amazon.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 63
I couldn't resist and bought one. Initial impressions out of my MacBook Pro with my Symphones Magnums are positive but I can hear its limitations compared to my main system obviously. The interesting test I reckon will be how much of an improvement over my MacBook Pro's headphone out it will be. I'm sure it is way better than the sound from many Windows laptops.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:
I couldn't resist and bought one. Initial impressions out of my MacBook Pro with my Symphones Magnums are positive but I can hear its limitations compared to my main system obviously. The interesting test I reckon will be how much of an improvement over my MacBook Pro's headphone out it will be. I'm sure it is way better than the sound from many Windows laptops.

What headphones have you tried?  I am waiting for mine to arrive.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 63
I'm using it with my w5000 sounds great for what it is....pictures in my gallery will mainly use on the road and my office... love the form factor http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/657586/user_id/148346.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back