Anyone try the Audioquest DragonFly DAC/Amp yet?
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #46 of 63
I bought this on a whim, and I could hear a very sickening thump as I opened my wallet. I think it's expensive. Then I went home, showered, rushed through dinner while reading the quick setup guide, and finally sat down to play with it. 20 minutes post setup and I plugged in my iems. The thump is back, but this time it's thumping with the music and I had all but forgotten about the money I'd spent. It really sounds good. I'm loving it and as I type these words, I've got it hooked up to my girlfriend's AT A900's. D

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #47 of 63
Quote:
Nice article from CNET. What do you guys think?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57463791-47/a-tiny-usb-digital-to-analog-converter-from-audioquest/?tag=txt;title

Are the readers on CNET the stupidest people on the planet? I know that's harsh but I feel like Guttenberg is like Ferran Adria trying to explain cooking to elementary school cafeteria ladies.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #48 of 63
Pretty sure he's trying to make it a bit easier to understand as the scope of CNET ranges to more than just areas of audio. less specialized readers than what you'd find here.
Quote:

Are the readers on CNET the stupidest people on the planet? I know that's harsh but I feel like Guttenberg is like Ferran Adria trying to explain cooking to elementary school cafeteria ladies.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #49 of 63
Got mine over a week ago after discovering that Best Buy sells them (had to go out of city to get one) to compare to E17 and Audioengine D1 and prefer it ove both of them especially E17 while driving my D7000 and D600. I have nothing to add about how good sounds to what already was said before. I use Foobar under Win 7 Pro 64 bit and have no problem described earlier in this thread but I had when using Audioengine D1 and even setting buffer to minimum settings didn't solve problem completely kt still was happening from track to track regardless of the input used and while using optical input it was powered by my UPS's front USB ports intended for charging. DragonFly  also works without problems using ASIO4ALL unlike Audioengine D1 and E17. I also have Arcam rPac on his way to me to see if he can beat it. I'm also interested to try Ibasso D7 but unability to get from US dealer with easy return stops me plus i'm considering Nuforce Icon HD but not sure if it worth extra $50

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

The audio equipment reviews are both very vague and extremely positive. The rest of their articles are sometimes better, but I feel that they have way too many writers posting frivolous content.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #53 of 63
Well, i was considering the audiquest dragonfly but i went ll the way up to a Schiit Asgard (Getting the BIfrost later on, USB version even thou ill use it on optical most times).
After i upgraded the Fiio E17 (for portable use anyway) to the Asgard, for my HE-400 i begun that beatifull moment in audio when you discover the next level of beauty and are still in Awe of it.

The feeling is gone now (7 days in) but i still love it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #55 of 63
Feb 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Any impressions or comparisons between the two?    =)

[size=medium]Gave the Meridian Explorer some ear time on headphones.  The ME definitely has more resolution and air than the DragonFly (DF), both set at 24/96k.  Vocals on the ME has more depth and mid-bass is cleaner.  One can say the DF is slightly warmer than ME.  The ME is definitely a notch above the DF in terms of being able to reproduce complex music more clearly while the DF is not as refined.  The DF may be easier to like for some due to it's slightly more "analog" sound signature.  The ME makes cheapo headphones sound good and good headphones sound even better.  The NuForce hp-800 sounds much better through the ME.  [/size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:
Where is your video gone?

sorry, I had to add some more info in the video.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

sorry, I had to add some more info in the video.

Thanks, I will sure get it  , as soon as the iUSB from ifi arrives, as it makes a big difference in SQ, no really! that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back