Any recommendations for closed headphones for classical music?
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 33
I think that classical music requires good soundstage and maybe a touch of warmth.  Scooped midrange kills the emotion in strings and pianos in my opinion, so I don't recommend the M50.  I've used it and I think you can do better.

I loved my HD558 (open) for classical but I am selling them for the new Fischer Audio FA003s because I'm in the same situation, and they may be the right headphone for you.  I'll report back this weekend when I get them, but there are some 73 pages here of hype about them. They are compared to very high-end headphones like D2000, HD650, HD600, etc.  Apparently their soundstage is like an open can, and they are very neutral and detailed, with very good extension on both sides.  You might want to check them out.  They are out of stock in a lot of places because of their popularity surge but when they come back you could try snagging a pair.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 33
Hello justie, I am listening to the FA003s now.  You have my fullest recommendation; these are better for classical than the HD558, which I thought were awesome for classical as well.  I got to use them in the car too, and they isolate pretty well.  Plus they are very comfortable for me.

I think all of what you read in reviews about the FA-003 are fully justified.  They are very detailed, very neutral, and probably the best value for under $400, if not a competitor for the best headphone under $400 (from what others in the thread say).

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 33
The 600 ohm variant of the Beyer DT770 is the best closed can I've heard for classical thus far.  It has a fantastic soundstage for a closed can and good extension on both ends.  I was not as impressed by the 250 ohm version, but it might be easier to run out of a portable amplifier.  If you'd like something more on the portable side (and much easier to drive), I find the Audio Technica ESW9a to be quite pleasant for classical (though not as good as the DT770/600).

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
cool! i'll look into the FA-003 more. Im still wondering how u guys find d5000 for below 400 O_O

I got mine at B& H photo for that price about a year ago.  Prices have gone up since it seems..  But with customs and shipping, it will probably cost a mint to ship those Australia.  In your shoes, I'd look for a used set, especially from a local seller.  I sold mine recently in the fs forum here for $300.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 33
X3
With classical the D5000s are magical, a lush, fluid and full bodied, grainless sound. 

Quote:

X2
Woody cup hp's sound great with classical. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 33
X3... DX 1000 is a bliss. More enjoyable with classical then W1000x and markl D5000 I would say though not the most resolving :)

For piano not many headphones if any I have found beat the Pro 900. It also isolate a lot better then the DX1000. markl D5000 and W1000x doesn´t really offer any isolation.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 33
Also, the FA-003 runs very easily on an iPod and will be very well powered by a portable amp.  Again I can't comment on the other cans.
If you'd like you can also get the woodied edition of the FA-003, which are the FA-002w.  They are said to sound even more natural and smooth.

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 33
I had both a markl modded D5000 (god awful for classical) and W5000 (pretty good but colored mids and awkward fit), and wouldn't recommend them. Especially not the D5000, it was boomy, and had an etch in the highs that was almost painful and relatively recessed mids (also, the pivot join of the cups may snap if mishandled).

PS http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/535729 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back