Any recommendations for closed headphones for classical music?
Mar 3, 2011 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

justie

500+ Head-Fier
I know that this question has been asked alot on this forum but I still cant find what I need. I listen to mostly classical music (65% piano solos, 35% symphonies and concertos) I need them to be closed because I would want to use them on buses and planes. I also use them alot when I'm walking to uni and such so i was hoping for something that can be powered with a portable amp. I've heard good things about Beyer 770 and denon D2000 but some people are saying that they are bad for classical. I'm not used to having something stuffed into my ears so I'm hoping to avoid IEMs unless there arent any more options. Can someone please help me? I guess the most important things are portability and isolation. My buget would be anything below $350 XD

EDIT: bad choice of words...when i say portability i mean the ehadphones are able to be powered by a portable amp instead of headphones that require desktop amps. Sry for any misunderstandings ><

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 33
Audio Technica ATH-A700s, not a powerful bass, just a clear bass.
Why spend a lot of money on headphones your carrying around in public (getting damaged or stolen).

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 33

Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-A700s, not a powerful bass, just a clear bass.
Why spend a lot of money on headphones your carrying around in public (getting damaged or stolen).

That won't work because he needs portability. And they need to isolate him well.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 33
Of course my reco for closed would be the D7000. Obviously that will not work for two reasons... not portable, out of budget.

So, I'd look at a set that has recently been compared to the D7k... the HP700. Apparently they are have a 'similar' sound signature to the D7k, but at 1/7 the price... or so. They also should isolate much better than the upper Denons.

Closed, portable, good isolation, good sound also brings to mind the M50's.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 33
how do those headphones sound? for classical i mean..lol..i guess i should rephrase the portability part...what i mean by that is that it can be powered by a portable amp..i don mind big ass headphones on my head as long as they sound good...haha

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 33
Some additional suggestions for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900

AKG K271MKII

Beyerdynamic DT48, DT150, DT250

JVC HARX900

Sennheiser HD448, HD380PRO

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 33
I use the Sennheiser HD 25-1 for this - I also use them for detail monitoring when I am recording the master (I record classical music, mostly piano recitals of late).

For really high quality, I would also look at the Ultrasone Edition 8.

But I really wish Sennheiser would do a top-end closed headphone using the ring driver technology of the HD 800 .....................................

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
how do those headphones sound? for classical i mean..lol..i guess i should rephrase the portability part...what i mean by that is that it can be powered by a portable amp..i don mind big ass headphones on my head as long as they sound good...haha

You referring to the M50 or the HP700?

I have no issue with the sound of the M50, but it's not to everyone's tastes. Close and kind of thick, but I like that. It surprises me how well it actually does with classical.
As I said, I have not heard the HP700, but from the other thread, it is 'similar' to the D7000... which is amazing.

EDIT: as for power, the M50 is very easy to drive. I think I read that the HP700 is as well... but you'd have to investigate.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 33
You should look into IEMs. I can't think of any closed/portable can under $300 that will suit classical even half as good as the Head-Direct RE0 IEMs for $80. I don't like them, but I can't deny the clarity and clean sound they produce.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 33
Thanks for all the help and keep the suggestions coming guys XD looking more into the denons now...haha

Quote:
You should look into IEMs. I can't think of any closed/portable can under $300 that will suit classical even half as good as the Head-Direct RE0 IEMs for $80. I don't like them, but I can't deny the clarity and clean sound they produce.

i was actually looking into a pair of etys the other day...how are those for classical?

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 33
AKG K271MKII is great choice for classic music but the bass are recessed. DT 770 (at least the 600 ohm version) and Audio Technica  M50 are other good choices.  

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and keep the suggestions coming guys XD looking more into the denons now...haha

i was actually looking into a pair of etys the other day...how are those for classical?

Never used them so I can't comment, sorry.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 33
im not that much of a bass head so recessed bass shouldnt be a problem. How about the 32 and 250hm beyer dt770s? how are those for classical?

Quote:
AKG K271MKII is great choice for classic music but the bass are recessed. DT 770 (at least the 600 ohm version) and Audio Technica  M50 are other good choices.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back