Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #346 of 1,416
Though I haven't auditioned other competitive USB-to-S/PDIF converters I believe most of them should share a similar sonic improvement, short of the Audiophileo 1 which seems to be the 'ultimate'. I have the U2, and to me it was an improvement in the extraction of micro details, frequency extension and a few more. Though not a day and night difference, it was noticeable the overall sound became more focussed and coherent. The U2 as a transport fed a higher quality, low jitter S/PDIF signal to my D1 and it improved. Even though the D1 has its own jitter reduction scheme it is never bad to feed it a high quality signal first.

However you have to put it into perspective though. If you have a dedicated music server or any other kind of 'transport' which already outputs high quality, low jitter S/PDIF signals, audible differences may vary or not be heard at all. YMMV.

In my case I was comparing it to the S/PDIF optical from my notebook.. Either way if you intent on using a computer or notebook as a source to play music the motherboard often doesn't offer high quality S/PDIF out and using a good USB-to-S/PDIF converter might be a good solution as a transport to improve the sonic performance of your DAC.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #347 of 1,416

Quote:
Async USB should sound better to SPDIF and as good as good Coaxial. As I use an iMac as a transport, I wish it has Firewire. However, its usb is good enough that I can't complain.

Some might not agree, but don't forget to buy a good usb cable. It makes noticeable difference. 

Just to get terminology straight: SPDIF (or perhaps more correctly: S/PDIF) can be transmitted by coax cable (RCA or BNC), or fibre-optic cable (TOSLINK).
So, the Anedio D2 has 1 USB input, and 3 S/PDIF inputs: BNC, RCA, and TOSLINK (optical).

My listening tests so far has shown no discernible difference between RCA & TOSLINK, whereas USB (Async) seems to be a slight improvement over the S/PDIF inputs.
But, I suppose my findings apply to my specifc setup: Squeezebox Touch => Anedio D2.

It may be difficult to make "head-to-head" testing on the different D2 inputs,while using the same player & data/music,because the player may not have a USB output (commonly found on computers), and also a S/PDIFoutputs (commonly found on CD players/transports)... In my case, the "Squeezebox Touch" has both types, so I'm able to switch connectors very easiliy.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #348 of 1,416
I don't have another USB-spdif converter to compare yet (I actually have the Legato on order, it's the ultimate redbook USB-spdif converter with only 0.5ps RMS jitter on the output, the lowest on this planet).

Anyway, I did an interesting comparison using D2's USB port (which is essentially a U2) vs a Logitech Duet and Logitech Touch's digital output.

The Duet sounds better than Touch going through the spdif interface to D2 (I'm using Toslink with Lifatec glass Toslink cable).  And the Touch using USB connection to D2 sounds the best.  Yes, there is a 3rd party plug-in/special kernel for Touch to allow it to connect to a USB DAC via the USB port for up to 24/192  playback.  And I can confirm that U2 sounds better than Duet and Touch going thru' the same Wolfson receiver IC inside D2.

The sound is warmer with better vividness in this case.

Quote:
i've been searching for any reviews of U2 and haven't found any so far.
in my "USB-spdif converter" interest list there are Anedio u2, Audiophilleo2 and a new (async!) version of Audio-gd's Digital interface which they might release.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #349 of 1,416

Quote:
... I did an interesting comparison using D2's USB port (which is essentially a U2) vs a Logitech Duet and Logitech Touch's digital output.

The Duet sounds better than Touch going through the spdif interface to D2 (I'm using Toslink with Lifatec glass Toslink cable).  And the Touch using USB connection to D2 sounds the best.  Yes, there is a 3rd party plug-in/special kernel for Touch to allow it to connect to a USB DAC via the USB port for up to 24/192  playback.  And I can confirm that U2 sounds better than Duet and Touch going thru' the same Wolfson receiver IC inside D2.

The sound is warmer with better vividness in this case.

As I mentioned here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/568758/anedio-d2-dac-release/330#post_8291957
I'm also using that 3rd-party app on my Touch, and so far I'm getting the best sound from the Touch/D2 combo via USB.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #352 of 1,416
I should have one in hand later this week. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my current Audio Research DAC 7.

Cool! I'm interested in that comparison as well.

Did you at one point have a Violectric V800 in your setup? Or am I thinking of someone else with the word Santa in their name?

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #355 of 1,416

Quote:
D2 sold out again and Anedio will not take any pre-order until May 28.  Wow.

The sheer pain and aggravation of selling a great product!
beyersmile.png
I will wait a while before I purchase my D2
. I need to add a solid home amp to my system, although the Triad Audio L3 does a surprisingly good job with my Senn HD250 Linear II.
cool.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #357 of 1,416
I am so glad I didn't wait too long before ordering the D2.  I was bummed when I missed the first batch, but I really feel for those who have to wait until the end of May to pre-order.  I am loving this DAC.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #358 of 1,416
Remember the first rule of sales "If you can get it , you can't sell it. If you can sell it , you can't get it;' Seriously, James' design genius deserves all of the best. Build a superior product for a fair price and they will buy it. I have working on amps this week, but my mini-review is being prepared as I write this. Coming this week, I promise. Regards

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #359 of 1,416

Quote:
Cool! I'm interested in that comparison as well.
Did you at one point have a Violectric V800 in your setup? Or am I thinking of someone else with the word Santa in their name?

Yes, I had the V800 for a while last year. Great DAC, that I kinda wish I didn't sell. Although it's been about 6 months, I'll try to make a lame comparison.

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #360 of 1,416
Found this old 2007 Stereophile review
http://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-ekos-se-tonearm-keel-lp12-subchassis-trampolin-turntable-base-page-3
that gives us an idea of the stock price of LP-12

... A new LP12 turntable retails for $2810, and a new Lingo power supply adds $1810
Ekos SE arm: $4950.
Keel: One-piece subchassis, tonearm board, and tonearm mounting collar: $3250.
Trampolin base: $250

I may need to replace my cirkus with the Keel ..., since we have to wait for D2 ....

Cheers !

Quote:
.... Probably because no one  buy a "new" LP-12 these days.  Even if there is, I wonder what configuration a new one would really means, is a basic or is it a Cirkus equivalent ?  Does it come witha Lingo powers supply by default ?   Those are probably some of the factors why no one know what it cost.  But it is a very easy question to answer, just call up a dealer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back