Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #331 of 1,416

Quote:
I happen to have the Invicta and previously had the Anedio D1. Based on my own experience, I would find it difficult to believe that even the newer D2 would equal, let alone exceed the performance of the Invicta, especially the current production version of it. it should recalled that Project86 originally compared the D1 to an earlier pre-production Invicta, and there were further changes made, especially to the headphone amp and operating software in the Invicta.

This sounds like a "head-to-head" (listening) test waiting to happen... Speculation can only go so far!

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #332 of 1,416

Quote:
I happen to have the Invicta and previously had the Anedio D1. Based on my own experience, I would find it difficult to believe that even the newer D2 would equal, let alone exceed the performance of the Invicta, especially the current production version of it. it should recalled that Project86 originally compared the D1 to an earlier pre-production Invicta, and there were further changes made, especially to the headphone amp and operating software in the Invicta.

Yeah it's hard to say for sure. The improvement from D1 to Invicta was definitely more obvious on a good speaker rig than with headphones. D1 to D2 is in the same boat. I think all I can say at this point is that the specific Invicta I had on hand is roughly on the same level as the D2, give or take. Beyond that I shouldn't speculate. Both are killer products though, and I wouldn't hesitate to put either up against some serious $$$ gear in head to head comparisons. I think people would be surprised when they found out just how "cheap" the D2 and Invicta are compared to some of the other stuff out there. I check Audiogon and see these megabuck DACs listed - and they don't have anywhere near the design quality of these two units. I'm always surprised what people will pay 5 digit prices for. 

Then again I own an MBL DAC which isn't as good as the Invicta or the D2, so I probably shouldn't talk...

Quote:
This sounds like a "head-to-head" (listening) test waiting to happen... Speculation can only go so far!

Exactly! To make matters worse, we all hear differently. Stereomojo did a shootout of DACs, including the Anedio D1. It beat a Lavry DA11 by unanimous decision, but lost in a somewhat close contest to the EE Minimax, which was later beat by some Lampizator abomination. The test methodology and equipment may not have been the best but at least someone gave it a shot. The farther along it went, the more people called the differences "subtle". 

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #333 of 1,416
I am somewhat prejudiced, having owned the D1 and now a D2, but I also suspect that when we reach this level of SQ, system matching, program material chosen, and personal taste, all make more of a difference than with lesser quality DACs. I listen mainly on speakers and to classical music, perhaps a minority on this forum. I find the D2 matchs my tastes and system as well as could be hoped for. I hope others find a DAC that matches their tastes and systems so well. I am sure we will see incremental inprovements in SQ in the future, but I still maintain that the major problem is poorly miked and produced program material. Crap at 24/192 is still crap. Regards

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #334 of 1,416

Quote:
Well I only borrowed the Invicta for review so I no longer have it present for comparison. But the improvements over the D1 are what I'm using to gauge the differences. And I have to say that the D2 is probably equal to if not flat out better than, the Invicta. I am very impressed.

twsmith had said what I was going to mention about the headphone amp section that was improved.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #335 of 1,416
Just to clear the air a bit -- the Invicta, Anedio, and other dacs of equivalent caliber show many more similarities than differences, and to be fair, it often boils down to personal preference and what associated equipment is being used with them. So I may have slightly erred if I gave the impression that the Invicta was clearly superior to the Anedio D2, when in fact I've never heard them compared side-by-side (as I had the opportunity to do with the D1).   The Anedio D1 has clearly evolved into an even better dac, but so has the Invicta.   At the company's request, I recently returned my Invicta to the manufacturer for both hardware and software updates, which does speak highly for the level of commitment to their products that Resonessence (and Anedio) have.    

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #336 of 1,416

Quote:
Just to clear the air a bit -- the Invicta, Anedio, and other dacs of equivalent caliber show many more similarities than differences, and to be fair, it often boils down to personal preference and what associated equipment is being used with them. So I may have slightly erred if I gave the impression that the Invicta was clearly superior to the Anedio D2, when in fact I've never heard them compared side-by-side (as I had the opportunity to do with the D1).   The Anedio D1 has clearly evolved into an even better dac, but so has the Invicta.   At the company's request, I recently returned my Invicta to the manufacturer for both hardware and software updates, which does speak highly for the level of commitment to their products that Resonessence (and Anedio) have.    

Good point. Resonessence was excellent to deal with when they loaned me the Invicta, and I've heard nothing but praise from actual customers such as yourself. 

So both units are at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #337 of 1,416

Quote:
Direction for "HiFiTuning" fuse (200mA, Slow-Blow)
OK, I pulled out an ohm-meter, and determined current flow is from the outlet into the fuse housing, as shown here:

(the picture is kind of blurry, but hopefully you'll get the idea)

The correct direction should be the opposite side of yours, as I auditioned it.  :wink:

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #338 of 1,416
      Quote:
Direction for "HiFiTuning" fuse (200mA, Slow-Blow)
OK, I pulled out an ohm-meter, and determined current flow is from the outlet into the fuse housing, as shown here:

(the picture is kind of blurry, but hopefully you'll get the idea)

Quote:
The correct direction should be the opposite side of yours, as I auditioned it. :wink:

Bankung,

As shown above, what I tried to show is the direction of the current flow, which is: from the outlet --> into the fuse housing.

But, I assume you mean that your prefer the "opposite" direction, based on "listening" tests (i.e., "opposite" of current flow actually sounds better)... Is that correct? (If so, I'll try reversing mine, and give it a "listen").

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #341 of 1,416

Quote:
      Quote:
Bankung,

As shown above, what I tried to show is the direction of the current flow, which is: from the outlet --> into the fuse housing.

But, I assume you mean that your prefer the "opposite" direction, based on "listening" tests (i.e., "opposite" of current flow actually sounds better)... Is that correct? (If so, I'll try reversing mine, and give it a "listen").

Thanks.

Yes, the noticeably difference is the soundstage that became much wider and also the stronger impact.

Edit, I give a second try by listen again to both direction, and I think I concluded too quickly about the direction given.

As I can conclude with my ears so far.
Direction against the current giver a tad bigger soundstage and more impact (also a bit louder), while the direction follow the current gives me smaller but clearer, more controllable sound and a bit more details.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #342 of 1,416

Quote:
Yes, the noticeably difference is the soundstage that became much wider and also the stronger impact.

Edit, I give a second try by listen again to both direction, and I think I concluded too quickly about the direction given.

As I can conclude with my ears so far.
Direction against the current giver a tad bigger soundstage and more impact (also a bit louder), while the direction follow the current gives me smaller but clearer, more controllable sound and a bit more details.

Thanks bankung... I'll need to do some critical listening (most likely this coming week-end).

Meanwhile, I'm trying to test the USB connection from my "Squeezebox Touch"...Yes, Async-USB works (up-to 24/192K), and sounds very nice indeed!... That, of course, requires firmware modifications on the Touch device (since its USB 2.0 port is not an output by default), as described here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

I honestly have not spent a lot of time with USB yet, but so far it seems like Async-USB sounds better than SPDIF (at least from my "Squeezebox" transport). I suppose Async-USB inherently eliminates transport-induced jitter... So, I wonder what others are experiencing with USB on the Anedio D2, compared to the SPDIF connections.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #343 of 1,416

Quote:

Thanks bankung... I'll need to do some critical listening (most likely this coming week-end).

Meanwhile, I'm trying to test the USB connection from my "Squeezebox Touch"...Yes, Async-USB works (up-to 24/192K), and sounds very nice indeed!... That, of course, requires firmware modifications on the Touch device (since its USB 2.0 port is not an output by default), as described here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

I honestly have not spent a lot of time with USB yet, but so far it seems like Async-USB sounds better than SPDIF (at least from my "Squeezebox" transport). I suppose Async-USB inherently eliminates transport-induced jitter... So, I wonder what others are experiencing with USB on the Anedio D2, compared to the SPDIF connections.

Async USB should sound better to SPDIF and as good as good Coaxial. As I use an iMac as a transport, I wish it has Firewire. However, its usb is good enough that I can't complain.

Some might not agree, but don't forget to buy a good usb cable. It makes noticeable difference. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #344 of 1,416
To those who have the Anedio U2 USB to SPDIF converter, is there a step up in terms of the sound quality and details as compared to other USB to SPDIF converters currently available in the market (e.g. Audiophilleo, April Music, Empirical Audio, etc)?

I'm looking for a converter and I'm wondering which one I should get. I don't get the huge price difference between these converters tho.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #345 of 1,416

Quote:
To those who have the Anedio U2 USB to SPDIF converter, is there a step up in terms of the sound quality and details as compared to other USB to SPDIF converters currently available in the market (e.g. Audiophilleo, April Music, Empirical Audio, etc)?

I'm looking for a converter and I'm wondering which one I should get. I don't get the huge price difference between these converters tho.

i've been searching for any reviews of U2 and haven't found any so far.
in my "USB-spdif converter" interest list there are Anedio u2, Audiophilleo2 and a new (async!) version of Audio-gd's Digital interface which they might release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back