Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #304 of 1,416
Its good to know how D2 compares to DAC1/DacMagic Plus, now the only competitor to D2 for my new dac is WA WDS-1, I just need to wait for its release and some reviews/comparison and I can make my final choice.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #305 of 1,416
Quote:
Its good to know how D2 compares to DAC1/DacMagic Plus, now the only competitor to D2 for my new dac is WA WDS-1, I just need to wait for its release and some reviews/comparison and I can make my final choice.

I doubt WA WDS-1 will be as good as D2.  First off, they use a more consumer grade PCM1795 DAC chip, which is 1/10th the cost of the ESS9018 DAC chip used in D2.  If they used two PCM1792A in dual mono config, then maybe there is a chance the WDS-1 will be better in terms of DNR.  Second, based on WDS-1's pricing, I don't think they would put a $30 ultra low jitter master clock in their box.  If they do, they would have brag about it in the spec.  The ultra low jitter master clock is critical to a DAC's performance.

If you compare the 3 specs on WDS-1 (freq response, THD+N, S/N), they are inferior to D2.  If WA puts a pair of tubes on the output, maybe someone will prefer the tube sound.  But I don't see that mentioned in the specs.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #310 of 1,416
I hope the new owners will enjoy their D2s as much as I have enjoyed my D1 and D2. I know I had promised additional comments on its performance, but I have been too busy trying transports. So far, the winner is a $250 Tascam CD200. Who would have thought? Have also tried a few hirez downloads, but still listen mainly to redbook due to download times and lack of program material (classical) And yes it is still a case of GIGO. The best recordings are stunning, while average cds are now at least listenable. I found the same with the D1. BTW the new Tascam is a SERIOUS BARGAIN. Their new laser module shows just how much transports have inproved-gives Phillips CD Pro some real competition. More to come. Regards

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #311 of 1,416
Quote:
Can someone compared D2 with Weiss 202 and Calyx dac?

Here is a review comparing Weiss 202 and Calyx DAC:

http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/02/review-calyx-dac-24192.html

Personally, I've heard the Weiss 202 with Maggie 1.7 speakers.  Huge dynamics and very fast tranient/attack.  The transient/attack do appear to be faster than D2.  I read the review above, and I think Calyx would sound very similar to D2.

In terms of vocal sweetness, harmonic decay, I'd rank D2 higher than Weiss.  Weiss doesn't have the harmonic structure or decay that I'm looking for.

D2 does have better power supply instead of the wall-wart used by Calyx.  It is using some internal DC-DC converters (the review refers it to "charge-pump").  DC-DC converters are mini-switching power supplies.  The noise is not as bad as switching power supplies, but they're not as good as a good linear, like the one used in D2 with the Cree SiC rectifiers.

FWIW, the Diamond Power Base used by MSB IV Diamond DAC also uses Cree SiC rectifiers.  That power supply costs $5K!

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #312 of 1,416

Quote:
I hope the new owners will enjoy their D2s as much as I have enjoyed my D1 and D2. I know I had promised additional comments on its performance, but I have been too busy trying transports. So far, the winner is a $250 Tascam CD200. Who would have thought? Have also tried a few hirez downloads, but still listen mainly to redbook due to download times and lack of program material (classical) And yes it is still a case of GIGO. The best recordings are stunning, while average cds are now at least listenable. I found the same with the D1. BTW the new Tascam is a SERIOUS BARGAIN. Their new laser module shows just how much transports have inproved-gives Phillips CD Pro some real competition. More to come. Regards

I'd be interested in knowing which "transports" you've tried so far (that Tascam CD200 seems interesting... apparently they've done some work on it to reduce jitter).
BTW, have you considered ripping your CD's?... lossless (of course), and uncompressed, if you like ("dBpoweramp" works well for me) ... If so, network-based transports could get into your "testing" mix (e.g., I use a "Squeezebox Touch).
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back