Anedio D2 DAC release
Mar 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #287 of 1,416

Just wanted to post my experience so far with Anedio.  I placed a pre-order for the D2  in mid-February and about 2 weeks ago was told the unit would likely go out the end of last week.  
It shipped on March 23 and I received it today.   Customer service was very helpful in answering several questions that I had.  

Fist impressions - the D2 is  quite attractive, it has simple clean lines with the right amount of styling.  This is my first stand alone dac, any ideas on how long it needs to burn in? 

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #288 of 1,416

Quote:
See I didn't really care for the Neko unit that much - once again, there is no "absolute sound" that fits everyone (despite the magazine title). But I trust Pigmode as a great member of this community, and I'm glad he found something that works well for him. 

I should add that my preferences are weighted heavily by system synergy, with amplification that pushes unforgivenly towards neutrality.  

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #290 of 1,416
Just got a e-mail from Anedio customer service (sent at 10:00 pm EDT!) that my D2 is ready to be shipped.  They must be working hard to fill the pre-orders.  I placed mine on March 2.  I'm surprised to hear from them so soon--the previous communication I received from Anedio was that they expected to ship the end of April.  Anybody else who pre-ordered in March hear from Anedio?
Rich

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #293 of 1,416
I placed my pre-order on 2/19 and my unit is inbound for delivery this coming Monday.
popcorn.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #294 of 1,416

Quote:

Just wanted to post my experience so far with Anedio.  I placed a pre-order for the D2  in mid-February and about 2 weeks ago was told the unit would likely go out the end of last week.  
It shipped on March 23 and I received it today.   Customer service was very helpful in answering several questions that I had.  

Fist impressions - the D2 is  quite attractive, it has simple clean lines with the right amount of styling.  This is my first stand alone dac, any ideas on how long it needs to burn in? 

Please tell me there is some type of padding on the bottom of that big headphone stand.... 

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #295 of 1,416
Got a note from Elisabeth @ Anedio explaining that a couple of folks cancelled their orders freeing up a D2 from batch 1 and I was assigned one of them.  My D2 was in QC testing yesterday and will be shipped Monday.  I'll likely get it Tuesday since I live in Maryland only a few hours away from Anedio.  I'll burn it in and try to post my impressions comparing it to my Lavry DA-10 (now sold) and a Lynx Hilo, which I'm now listening to.  I've got to say that the Hilo is the best DAC I have heard in my system, so the D2 will have some serious competition. Next Monday, I'll also be able to compare the Hilo and D2 to a buddy's Dangerous Dac, which is hightly regarded by audio pros.
Rich

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #296 of 1,416
My LCD2 headphones just came back from the factory for the drivers upgrade.  Audeze was kind enough to give me the upgrade for free.  I now have the rev 2 drivers.

When paried with the D2, they are indeed less dark than the rev 1 drivers and the transients are faster.  Vocal is also smoother.  Some how I feel that the sound stage is not as wide as the rev 1 drivers.  Now the mid-band sounds very close to my HD800.  HD800 is still a tad brighter and the bass is less powerful and less rich compared to LCD2.

BTW, I think D2 does take 4 weeks for full break-in.  Initial sound can be a bit harsh for vocal and on the high freq end.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #297 of 1,416
Just got it a this saturday, and I've got to say it's very good for its price. Clean, transparent and have a lot of power to drive headphones with ease. very neutral.

My w3000anv need just around 35/100 in the low gain to the normal listening level in the market pop song recording.

I've changed the fuse to the hifi-tuning one.

Some cons, the treble is not smooth as I expected and the overall sound is a little bit thin due to the very wide soundstage. 

I hope these issues will be better with further burn-in.

Btw, the best dec is this price range I have ever tried.

Thanks project86 to lure my money out of the wallet!

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #298 of 1,416
Could someone compare it to lets say Benchmark DAC1 USB or CA DacMagic Plus? I am more interested in DAC section comparison, not so much in built-in amp output quality.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #299 of 1,416
Quote:
Some cons, the treble is not smooth as I expected and the overall sound is a little bit thin due to the very wide soundstage. 

The treble harshness will go away in about a week, and becomes very smooth in 2-4 weeks.

Quote:
Could someone compare it to lets say Benchmark DAC1 USB or CA DacMagic Plus?

I once had Benchmark DAC1 USB for about a year.  There is no comparison to Anedio D2.  Completely two different classes altogether.  Score of 3 vs a score of 9.  Benchmark DAC1 is muffled, lacked of details/nuances/reverbs/decays, flat sound stage, bright with less than optimal recordings, lack of textures in bass, dry and lack of harmonic richness.  So long as Benchmark continues to use the AD1896 ASRC, that will be their 'house' sound.

D2 has none of that weaknesses, vocal is lush, and is really up there with DACs that are 3-5x the price.  Of course, it does demand proper equipment to reveal its true capability.

I doubt DacMagic Plus is anywhere near D2.

Some of the reference DACs that I've listened to are Sony DAS-R10, Stax X1t, Weiss DAC202, Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 2, etc.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #300 of 1,416

Quote:

Benchmark DAC1 is muffled, lacked of details/nuances/reverbs/decays, flat sound stage, bright with less than optimal recordings, lack of textures in bass, dry and lack of harmonic richness.  So long as Benchmark continues to use the AD1896 ASRC, that will be their 'house' sound.

I've had the opportunity to compare, almost "side by side", both the Benchmark DAC1-USB, the original Anedio D1 and now the Resonessence Invicta dacs, and I completely agree that the two latter dacs (and I'm sure the Anedio D2 as well) "smoke" the Benchmark in terms of detail retrieval, soundstaging and overall listenability.   The Benchmark may have been an excellent dac several years ago, but not now especially considering that dacs such as the Anedio are very competitive price-wise to the Benchmark.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back