Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #377 of 1,416
Just a quick update on D2. A couple weeks ago, I reported that D2 doesn't sound as good as my main 2-ch speaker rig.  Now it is no longer the case.  It is made possible by upgrading my LCD-2 to Stax SR-407 Lambda Signature electrostatic headphones.  I'm using an old SRM-1/Mk2 P.P. driver amp with a small modification in the power supply rectifiers. The other piece that makes this happen is SBT with EDO plug-in.

Now D2 sounds very natural with the fastest transients I've ever heard. My 2-ch speaker rig is now the 2nd best sounding system at home.

Next week I'll bring SBT+D2 to my friend's place for a shootout. It'll be compared to his Sony R10 reference DAC. And one more shootout coming up, and that is SBT+D2 vs Weiss Medea+. Medea+ is roughly 10x the cost of D2.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #378 of 1,416
Just a quick update on D2. A couple weeks ago, I reported that D2 doesn't sound as good as my main 2-ch speaker rig.  Now it is no longer the case.  It is made possible by upgrading my LCD-2 to Stax SR-407 Lambda Signature electrostatic headphones.  I'm using an old SRM-1/Mk2 P.P. driver amp with a small modification in the power supply rectifiers. The other piece that makes this happen is SBT with EDO plug-in.

Now D2 sounds very natural with the fastest transients I've ever heard. My 2-ch speaker rig is now the 2nd best sounding system at home.

Next week I'll bring SBT+D2 to my friend's place for a shootout. It'll be compared to his Sony R10 reference DAC. And one more shootout coming up, and that is SBT+D2 vs Weiss Medea+. Medea+ is roughly 10x the cost of D2.

Yep those Stax are killer. I need closed phones the the next year or so, and I'm considering selling a bunch of gear to go for a Stax 4070 powered by a relatively modest amp like the Woo GES. But I like to have a bunch of headphones and amps around for review purposes, so people can relate to them.... So I haven't decided.

I recently compared the D2 to a Perfectwave mkI unit with a group of friends. We all found the D2 superior. Frankly, I'm not that impressed with the PS Audio unit. I may be the first person ever on the Internet to say that.... But it just didn't do that much for me.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #379 of 1,416
I'd recommend getting the SRS-4170 kit, which consists of SR-407 headphones and SRM-006tS tube driver.  It is best to start with a full Stax setup, get to know the "house" sound before changing amp.  I did compare the sound of my friend's SRM-006t and my SRM-1/Mk 2 P.P.  The former has a warmer and rounder character.  Bass was not as impactful.  The same headphones on my Stax class A amp has a very impactful bass, but the sound was brighter.  I won't call it bright, neutral is perhaps the better word for it.

My friend also auditioned the Perfect Wave Mk I.  He too was not impressed.  He is a Berkeley Alpha user.  Now he has Alpha 2.

Quote:
Yep those Stax are killer. I need closed phones the the next year or so, and I'm considering selling a bunch of gear to go for a Stax 4070 powered by a relatively modest amp like the Woo GES. But I like to have a bunch of headphones and amps around for review purposes, so people can relate to them.... So I haven't decided.
I recently compared the D2 to a Perfectwave mkI unit with a group of friends. We all found the D2 superior. Frankly, I'm not that impressed with the PS Audio unit. I may be the first person ever on the Internet to say that.... But it just didn't do that much for me.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #380 of 1,416
It does mean nothing if something cost 10x more. Many many products is overpriced 
wink_face.gif
 . More Interesting would be if someone will compare it with truly approciate dacs like Meitner MA-1, Forsell MDAC-2, both is expensive but not unaffordable and right up in top. Interesting looks also Casea Orion Lite, AMR-DP-77.. which could be excelent as well and of course can not forget on top (but expensive ) Esoteric K-01, Emm Labs XDS1 etc..  

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #381 of 1,416
I'd recommend getting the SRS-4170 kit, which consists of SR-407 headphones and SRM-006tS tube driver.  It is best to start with a full Stax setup, get to know the "house" sound before changing amp.  I did compare the sound of my friend's SRM-006t and my SRM-1/Mk 2 P.P.  The former has a warmer and rounder character.  Bass was not as impactful.  The same headphones on my Stax class A amp has a very impactful bass, but the sound was brighter.  I won't call it bright, neutral is perhaps the better word for it.

My friend also auditioned the Perfect Wave Mk I.  He too was not impressed.  He is a Berkeley Alpha user.  Now he has Alpha 2.

Quote:

I'd love to go 4170 but I have a new baby in the house, so closed back headphones or in ear monitors are essential. Open headphones won't get much use which is why I sold most of mine recently. So the Stax SR4070 closed back model is the one I would go for. I've heard it before and it is very close to the Omega models I compared it to.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #383 of 1,416
The SR-407 is surprisingly quiet even when I played "Poem of Chinese Drums" at volume 81 on the D2.

Quote:
I'd love to go 4170 but I have a new baby in the house, so closed back headphones or in ear monitors are essential. Open headphones won't get much use which is why I sold most of mine recently. So the Stax SR4070 closed back model is the one I would go for. I've heard it before and it is very close to the Omega models I compared it to.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #385 of 1,416
Oh come on, get the kid accustomed to good music at a young age! Regards

Ha!

It actually doesn't take long though... My 7 year old has his own playlists in Foobar2000 (he is into Kraftwerk right now), and my 2 year old daughter is a big fan of the HDtracks release of Nancy Bryan's album Lay Me Down. She always asks "can we listen to the lady?" which is how I know what she wants. Funny stuff.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #386 of 1,416
The SR-407 is surprisingly quiet even when I played "Poem of Chinese Drums" at volume 81 on the D2.

Quote:

Leakage is less than LCD-2 for example? It's been a while since I owned the old Stax rig.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #387 of 1,416
Quote:
Viper2001 said:

Quote:
project86 said:

"Leakage is less than LCD-2 for example? It's been a while since I owned the old Stax rig."

Obviously with a new baby entering your life you're looking to keep the sound in but don't underestimate the phone's ability to keep the outside world out as a important factor.

My Senn HD-650's are terrible in this regard and I find them almost unusable when the family is watching TV in the next room.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #388 of 1,416
I'd say leakage is worse with Stax. I consider them zero-isolation headphones. Audeze headphones are only marginally better in that regard, if at all. 

I'm pondering sometime in the next year getting a D2 for my living room system, along with active speakers. What I have there now is heavy, bulky and annoys my wife. 
smile.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #389 of 1,416
I'd say leakage is worse with Stax. I consider them zero-isolation headphones. Audeze headphones are only marginally better in that regard, if at all. 

I'm pondering sometime in the next year getting a D2 for my living room system, along with active speakers. What I have there now is heavy, bulky and annoys my wife. 
smile.gif

Thanks. Maybe I'll PM you later about the 4070 since I recal you had them for a while.

Annoying the wife for long term is bad all around.... I had the Emotiva airmotiv5 setup in the living room for a while, in a way too obvious area. She didn't like that at all. Now moved them and things are much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back