Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #406 of 1,417
From what I know, not everyone is affected by Anedio's advisory.  I tried to unlock my D2 and I couldn't make it happen.  I was running USB connection to my PC and a Logitech Duet connected to Toslink and playing some music both at the same time.

I have seen my D2 losing lock when PC was playing high-res file while Toslink was connected to the Duet (on, but not playing).  But I have not been able to reproduce that problem again.  D2 may have problem locking onto the incoming signal when the unit is cold from an initial power on.  It may take 10-15 mins for it to settle down and locking properly from power on.

[EDIT]
I've seen unlock problem with high-res playback when the unit is cold from initial power on.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #407 of 1,417
from my understanding of Anedio's advisory only few people are affected, most people should be fine.

For USB only, I have 3 Windows PCs, and tried several cheap usb cables, and they all work fine with D2.
At one moment one of the PC no longer able to recognize D2 after I installed a special USB driver (custom usb driver for special camera).  After I uninstalled that driver D2 works again.   So you might want to see if that's due to driver conflict, or try it on another computer.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #409 of 1,417
Dear Shameless: It is improved isn't it! I have been listening to BBC webcasts thru the D2. Excellent SQ for streaming audio. Go direct to their site and use their streamer-no other. I have been working on amps these past couple of weeks, thus the late review. I think the D2 is improved in three areas-soundstage replication, transient response, and dynamics. With all of my comments based on classical CDs from a modified Tascam CD200(excellent cheap transport BTW) and speaker listening only-as I no longer have world class HPs- the Staxes went many moons ago, I find a new sense of layering and depth depiction, correct timbre, and wonderful PRAT. I think I have found a DAC to live with for many years or until James comes up with a new design. I cannot imagine it being beaten, without spending insane amounts of money. One question, thought, when you speak of the Squeezebox reproduction beating SPDIF, are you speaking of hirez downloads or CDs transferred to hard drive. Thanks and regards

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #411 of 1,417

Quote:
Santacore,
Have you ever heard the Bryston BDA-1? Im wondering if the Anedio would be an upgrade or just a side grade... heh.

How is the USB vs coaxial inputs? Does one sound significantly better?
Thanks
Mike

I heard both in my setup but not at the same time (but I have my Yamamoto dac as reference).
I put both of them very similar. Both are very neutral, detailled and transparent. Both have less ambiance and are less alive compared to my Yamamoto (probably more colored).
Anedio not need preamp ... it's a nice feature !

My friend (the owner of the anedio) prefer my Yamamoto and find it more enjoyable to listen.

Matching gear together is the clue ... Anedio is probably a better dac but on my system, it's not the ideal match. If I had that DAC, my choice of interconnect, transport will be probably different to try to match better.
Having the good balance between analytical and musicality is not easy to get.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #412 of 1,417
Does the EDO on the SBT just for the USB (so the FCC won't let me be, or let me be me, so let me see...sorry ahem), or the 2 SPDIFs as well? I just downloaded the app but don't currently have my dac to test with it. Thanks.

-Daniel

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #413 of 1,417
It allows 24/192 on both USB and S/PDIF outputs.  That's the beauty of this free plug-in!
Quote:
Does the EDO on the SBT just for the USB (so the FCC won't let me be, or let me be me, so let me see...sorry ahem), or the 2 SPDIFs as well? I just downloaded the app but don't currently have my dac to test with it. Thanks.

-Daniel

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #415 of 1,417
So that the 'enhancement'? That's it?  Does it atumatically send that sampling out, or is it selectable in the menus?

-Daniel

It's an enhancement because the USB port is normally only for plugging in a flash drive. In stock form it can't make any sort of connection with a computer. Yet many new DACs do their best over USB (and some DACs these days have no other option but USB).

The Touch aimed to replace your computer as a frontend for music playback. Then async USB DACs came along and made the computer essential again. This mod puts the Touch back where it used to be as a viable replacement for a computer. Some people even believe it sounds better than their regular PC or Mac over USB.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #416 of 1,417

Quote:
One question, thought, when you speak of the Squeezebox reproduction beating SPDIF, are you speaking of hirez downloads or CDs transferred to hard drive.

I think the comparison that is being made is for the Squeezebox Touch (SBT) outputs: S/PDIF (coax or optical) vs USB (with EDO app), connected to the D2. And the observation being that: SBT+EDO over USB (Async USB) to D2, sounds better than SBT over S/PDIF to D2 (for same source material, regardless of format).

Basically, it seems like the "Async USB" implementation in the D2 allows for optimal performance.
In theory, "Async USB" should eliminate transport-induced jitter, with the DAC providing the clock; but a real advantage depends on the DAC implementation of "Async USB"... and indications are that the D2 has done a good job with it.

USB versus SPDIF
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

The advantage of asynchronous USB is that due to this protocol the DAC is independent of the source as far as the timing is concerned. This allows for using a high quality fixed clock inside the DAC. Often asynchronous USB is combined with other measures like galvanic isolation to shield the DAC as much as possible from the electrical noise of the PC.

Technically both SPDIF and USB are capable of bit perfect transmission with low jitter.
As usual the result will be dependent on the implementation.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #417 of 1,417
Unfortunately, Anedio's D2 USB implementation is not in a true sense of async USB implementation.

In the true async implementation, the connection of the XMOS chip and ESS9018 should be done via I2S.  There should be two low jitter master clocks that are tethered to the XMOS chip.  These two master clocks are for 44.1K and 48K based sampling rates.  One should run the ESS9108 in synchronous mode so as to bypass the internal ASRC (upsampling engine) and get the low jitter I2S output from the XMOS/clock combo.  In this implementation, one can even get the 9018 to support DSD playback.

In the case of D2, the XMOS chip is merely converting the data obtained from the USB port to S/PDIF.  It is then passed to the Wolfson WM8805 8:1 S/PDIF selector IC.  The other S/PDIF inputs are also routed to this Wolfson IC.  The Wolfson IC actually does jitter cleanup using its internal PLL.  It is not reclocking with a buffer as Anedio was saying.  Since it is using PLL for jitter cleanup, the input cleaniness (ie: jitter) to this Wolfson chip will determine the ultimate sonic quality that can be achieved with D2.  U2 having a low jitter design (10ps RMS period jitter) and in such close proximity will beat most transports with coax connection.  I think this is how D2 managed to get USB sounding better than conventional S/PDIF connections, even for CD rips.

Another thing about the WM8805 is that the intrinsic jitter is listed as 50ps RMS on the datasheet.  This means the jitter output of this Wolfson chip is higher than the output of U2!  If D2 were designed as a USB only DAC, it is conceivable to have U2's output connected directly to the ESS9018.  One should get even better sound that way.

There are pros and cons in each method of implementation.  Anedio get an easy way out on achieving galvanic (ground) isolation between the PC's USB port and D2 by using a digital pulse transformer on the S/PDIF line.  They actually use the one from Scientific Conversion that has a shield to help reduce common mode noise from the output of U2.  This is a very important point as ground noise transmitted from the PC can induce more jitter on an ultra low jitter clock used in D2, making the output of the clock less optimal (ie: higher in jitter).  In the true async implementation sense, galvanic isolation would be rather difficult to do.  One can do a lot of filtering on the power coming in from the PC's USB port, etc.  So one has to weight the benefit of using I2S/sychronous operation vs ground noise contamination.

Another thing I discovered is that the RCA and BNC coax inputs do not use the same pulse transformer as the one used internal to the U2 connection.  Presumably, these pulse transformers are cheaper to save cost.  So there is a potential sonic difference right there at the inputs.

Now, if you have a USB to S/PDIF converter that has lower than 5ps RMS jitter (Audiopilleo, Legato), it is likely that you will get better sound out of the coax connections.  I actually have the Legato on order.  The RMS jitter output is 0.5ps integrated from 1Hz-10KHz.  It should readily beat the U2 in sound.

Quote:
The advantage of asynchronous USB is that due to this protocol the DAC is independent of the source as far as the timing is concerned. This allows for using a high quality fixed clock inside the DAC. Often asynchronous USB is combined with other measures like galvanic isolation to shield the DAC as much as possible from the electrical noise of the PC.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #418 of 1,417
we still haven't read a single opinion on Anedio U2 vs any converter

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #419 of 1,417

Quote:
Unfortunately, Anedio's D2 USB implementation is not in a true sense of async USB implementation...

Thanks for the insightful observations Viper.

It would interesting to compare the D2 (via USB) to other properly executed "Async USB" DAC's.
But, I don't know which those would be?... Maybe: Ayre QB-9, Resonessence Labs Invicta, dCS, Wavelength?

Here's a list of Async USB DAC's:
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #420 of 1,417
Nice post Viper. One minor quibble - the WM8805 does in fact have an elastic buffer. It contains a PLL for metering the data, deciding when the buffer is too full or when to release bits. But it is not a common PLL in the basic meaning of the term - here the PLL is part of a larger design. I've heard plenty of other designers use the same description as James from Anedio.

Here is a link to an interesting AES paper that describes this More in depth.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/misc/en/A_high_performance_SPDIF_receiver_Oct_2006.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back