Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #391 of 1,416
This is pretty awesome. 

I'd love to compare the D2 to my just arrived Calyx 24/192. Someone send me theirs. :D

Quote:
Quote:
Oh come on, get the kid accustomed to good music at a young age! Regards

Ha!

It actually doesn't take long though... My 7 year old has his own playlists in Foobar2000 (he is into Kraftwerk right now), and my 2 year old daughter is a big fan of the HDtracks release of Nancy Bryan's album Lay Me Down. She always asks "can we listen to the lady?" which is how I know what she wants. Funny stuff.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #392 of 1,416
Hi,

For those of us who have been "out of the loop" for 15 minutes, or living under the proverbial technological rock, could someone
please explain all the acronyms, what they mean, what this is all about? Is all this based on Linux or helpful to PC or Mac based?
I have a mac mini, but I am certainly becoming curious about a stripped down Linux based computer. Yes, I have much to learn. Thank you.

LogitechMediaServer (formerly SqueezeServer) and Voyage MPD are based on Debian Squeeze

With EDO plug-in on SBT, it is no longer the case. It is now running the kernel with RT patch with high resolution timer. I'm pretty sure it'll beat other Linux variants unless that variant is also running on a realtime kernel.

Anyone here has MBP or MBA + Amarra wants to have a shoot out with SBT+EDO connection to D2?

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #393 of 1,416

Quote:
Hi,

For those of us who have been "out of the loop" for 15 minutes, or living under the proverbial technological rock, could someone
please explain all the acronyms, what they mean, what this is all about? Is all this based on Linux or helpful to PC or Mac based?
I have a mac mini, but I am certainly becoming curious about a stripped down Linux based computer. Yes, I have much to learn. Thank you.

LogitechMediaServer (formerly SqueezeServer) and Voyage MPD are based on Debian Squeeze

With EDO plug-in on SBT, it is no longer the case. It is now running the kernel with RT patch with high resolution timer. I'm pretty sure it'll beat other Linux variants unless that variant is also running on a realtime kernel.

Anyone here has MBP or MBA + Amarra wants to have a shoot out with SBT+EDO connection to D2?

Hope this helps:

1) Let Google be your friend for:
- Logitech Media Server
- Voyage MPD
- Debian "squeeze"

2) EDO plug-in on SBT
SBT == Squeezebox Touch
EDO == Enhanced Digital Output app
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

3) RT patch == "Real-Time" kernel changes (Google: "Linux Real-Time patch")

4) MBP or MBA + Amarra
MBP == MacBook Pro
MBA == MacBook Air
Amarra == audio software for Mac's (Google: "Amarra software")

5) For background on computer-based audio:
The Well-Tempered Computer
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Computer Audiophile
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #394 of 1,416
Is anyone else having problems with their USB input? I recently tried the USB input after using a Sonicweld Diverter>S/Pdif for the last 3-4 days. I plugged it into the same port the Diverter was using and got nothing. Tried restarting and plugging/unplugging the USB but with no luck. I then tried the other USB port on the other side of my Macbook Pro and had a similar experience. So I guess this means I have a bad USB board or something else screwy is going on. Weird.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #397 of 1,416

Quote:
Anedio said the D2 have a issue. It can not be used with more than 1 digital input at the same time.
It means that if you connect SPIFF and USB at the same time, it may caused problems.

Yes, they made me aware of that before they shipped the unit to me, in case I wanted to back out.

It seems my problem was the cable I was using, for whatever reason. I pulled out a spare Wireworld USB that I had sitting around and the  DAC is now functioning perfectly.

Side note-Anedio has mentioned that the speed in which the cable gets inserted, could effect things. Apparently, USB protocol dictates that the cable has to be plugged in within a certain amount. Here is a quote from Anedio:

Quote:
(The USB 2.0 spec requires that the insertion be completed within 100 ms.)

I will say this DAC continues to impress me. It's giving my Audio Research a run for it's money, and sounds pretty darn good as a preamp to.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #398 of 1,416
Santacore,
Have you ever heard the Bryston BDA-1? Im wondering if the Anedio would be an upgrade or just a side grade... heh.

How is the USB vs coaxial inputs? Does one sound significantly better?
Thanks
Mike

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #401 of 1,416

Quote:
Santacore,
Have you ever heard the Bryston BDA-1? Im wondering if the Anedio would be an upgrade or just a side grade... heh.

How is the USB vs coaxial inputs? Does one sound significantly better?
Thanks
Mike

I have not heard the Bryston, but based on feedback  I would guess they are more similar, then different.

Because I had to use a different USB cable then I'm used to, I haven't done a USB vs. coax. comparison. Maybe after I get more familiar with the Wireworld, I can do it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #402 of 1,416

Quote:
Thats crazy... So I can't have a SB Touch USB connect and say a Bluray coax connected? Seems standard to me. Will the issue be fixed?

I think you can have multiple sources connected, as long as only one of them is active at a time.
(E.g., when using SBT via USB, make sure the Blu-ray player is turned off... so that the S/PDIF connection does not have a "live" signal to the DAC)

As for a "fix"?... Good question; I suppose we'll have to ask Anedio about that.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #403 of 1,416
Thats crazy... So I can't have a SB Touch USB connect and say a Bluray coax connected? Seems standard to me. Will the issue be fixed?

Doesn't it say "active" inputs cause the problem? So as long as the devices are powered off, you can have multiple things plugged in at the same time. Just only power up the one you are using.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #405 of 1,416

Well, this might be kind of a deal breaker for me...personally.  I operate my Peachtree iDecco (home rig) with no less than 3 active digital inputs running constantly - iPod digital direct, USB from laptop and optical in from an AirPort Express.  I can just sit there and punch source buttons like a silly monkey - giving me instant access to 3 massive "jukeboxes", if you will.  In two years of use that way I've never had an issue with it.  My hope (actually, my assumption) was that I'd be able to do the same with my new D2 (office rig).....and it's not looking like that's going to be the case.  :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back