Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 3, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #2,791 of 9,526
SV-huMMer, thanks for the reply to my question, Xperia TL via USB versus Clip Zip. After I posted it I realized the many variations of this, some using UARP, others using custom ROM's and kernels, etc. Anyway, I received my OTG cable today and my Xperia TL connected to my Audio GD NFB12 DAC/AMP, displayed the same USB power consumption error. I have read your various posts and analysis of the issue. Are you using the generic USB hub to fool your Sola or the small powered hub Danba suggested? BTW the link in his post for Dr. Bots T-3 doesn't work. I wonder if anyone has tried the hifidiy Sabre dac, perhaps its power consumption is low enough to work with the Xperia. Does the power consumption error indicate the TL will work in OTG if the power issue is resolved? Thanks for all your research. I love my Xperia TL, and would like to use it. satwilson

I use the generic hub, it's in the pic I posted. In fact, I have tried two generic USB 2.0 4-port non-powered hubs, and they both worked. I chose the one in the pic because of smaller enclosure that is easy to open and close, and I will do some resoldering to get rid of as many connectors as possible.

As for other dacs, it's a hit and miss, but remember that the important thing is not how much current the device really draws, but how much current it claims from the host.

My E17 and my Verizon GS4 get along in a stack. There is a very very slight bit of random noise when the phone is connected to wifi, but it is dead silent on 3g and 4g. Certain amps/DAC's will be better shielded than others.

True, and it alsp depends on the cellular network strength. If the network coverage is great, the phone does less seeking. The weaker the coverage, the more hunting and the more noise.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2,792 of 9,526
Checking the hifimediy page I found something interesting:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=124
Isn't that just the tiny DAC with an OTG cable attached? The description says, that you can control the volume with the volume keys of the phone. Does that also work with other DAC's? I'd like to buy the tiny DAC because it isn't limited to use with micro usb.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2,793 of 9,526
^pretty cool! ...wish they would've done the micro usb in a right or left angle though
size]

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,794 of 9,526
Quote:
Checking the hifimediy page I found something interesting:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=124
Isn't that just the tiny DAC with an OTG cable attached?

Yes.

The description says, that you can control the volume with the volume keys of the phone. Does that also work with other DAC's?

Yes.

The different HiFIMeDIY Sabre(s), the AudioQuest DragonFly, the Stoner Acoustics UD100 and the ODAC are based on the ESS Sabre ES9023 chip.
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20PB%20Rev%200.2aPB%20110117.pdf

As far as I know, the adjustable output level feature (i.e. analog volume control) of the ESS Sabre ES9023 chip is not implemented in the UD100 and the ODAC.
The DragonFly allows analog volume control from the player on the USB host (i.e. PC, Mac or Android device).

Without analog volume control, a player software can adjust the output level using the digital volume control "by multiplying the each successive word in the original signal data stream by a coefficient that is less than one. For example, if the incoming signal is multiplied by a coefficient of 0.5, the output will be half of the original value. This corresponds with a volume reduction of 6 dB. In a binary system, a reduction of 6 dB is the same as shifting the signal towards the least significant bit by one bit", hence a theoretical loss of resolution.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm

I don’t know if the different HiFIMeDIY Sabre(s) allow analog volume control.
According to HiFIMeDIY,  they "removed the analog volume control" in the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 External PSU.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,795 of 9,526
I've asked this in another thread before, but can anyone confirm or disconfirm whether the Audioquest Dragonfly dac is able to be used with the Samsung Galaxy S 3 phone via USB audio over an otg cable. This sort of setup would be almost ideal for portable use. Thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,796 of 9,526
Quote:
A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with standard USB DAC:

stock Android device > digital USB audio out >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Samsung Galaxy S3 (smartphone):
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/25/3042640/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

So far, like the quad-core Exynos powered Galaxy S3, the quad-core Exynos powered Samsung Galaxy Note II can work with the FiiO E7, the iBasso D12, Leckerton UHA-6S MKII, the ODAC, … ; had some issue with the HeadAmp Pico (bug fixed by HeadAmp); and doesn’t work with the FiiO E17 using the stock USB audio driver.

So, in regard to the USB protocol, the behaviour of the Galaxy Note II is likely identical to the behaviour of the Galaxy S3.

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3:

stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. AudioQuest DragonFly using USB Audio Recorder PRO:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1680#post_9151794

Quote:
I've asked this in another thread before, but can anyone confirm or disconfirm whether the Audioquest Dragonfly dac is able to be used with the Samsung Galaxy S 3 phone via USB audio over an otg cable. This sort of setup would be almost ideal for portable use. Thanks in advance.

Approximately every 5 pages in this thread (page 185 most recently), DanBa is posting an updated list of devices that work with the S3. It looks like the DragonFly works, but only when using UARP. If you're looking for a DAC that does not require UARP, take a look at the list he's compiled. Best resource available anywhere on USB DACs and Android devices!

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #2,797 of 9,526
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, DanBa! :) Hifimediy says, That the volume keys (Windows, Mac) don't work on the tiny DAC. On the other hand, they are supposed to work on android with the android DAC. Do the windows and android volune keys work in a different way?
I'll connect it to an amp so it doesn't really matter, anyways...I think I'll just buy & try it. You can't really go wrong at 23€.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,798 of 9,526

Yes and no. With UARP I managed to get 16/44.1 material played nicely, but anything above it caused heavy glitches with the Dragonfly.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,799 of 9,526
I would like to share my experience with my HiFimeDIY USB Sabre DACs, hopefully it useful. 
happy_face1.gif

Honestly I haven't read through all the 187 pages of this thread, so please pardon me if someone else has posted similar info :)

UAE Tiny : HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC, ES9023 + PCM2706
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=107

UAE23 : HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC, ES9023 + Tenor TE7022L
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

I've replaced the UAE Tiny USB cable with Micro USB cable for direct connection with Android phone.  Now they already have the Tiny that comes with Micro USB cable, so we can use direct without OTG cable.
I used several headphones and earphones, but mainly with Yamaha HPH-200 as my reference for loudness.
To me, UAE23 sounds better than UAE Tiny, I think due to different USB chip.  UAE23 sounds smoother and more musical, but both have similar tonal characteristic.  While the difference is not heaven and earth, but enough to be distinguishable.

I've tested UAE Tiny with the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.1.2) : Doesn't work with default audio player, only through USB Audio Recorder app
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Didn't take note android version) : Works with default audio player
Samsung Galaxy S4 (JB 4.2.2) : Works with default audio player
LG Optimus G Pro (JB 4.1.2) : Works with default audio player
Ainol Novo7 Fire / Flame (JB 4.2.2 Cyanogenmod CM10.1) : Doesn't work with default audio player, only through USB Audio Recorder app

While for the bigger brother, UAE23, I tested with the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.1.2) : Not compatible
Ainol Novo7 Fire / Flame (JB 4.2.2 Cyanogenmod CM10.1) : Not compatible
LG Optimus G Pro (JB 4.1.2) : Works with default audio player

Interestingly LG Optimus G Pro works with UAE23 Tenor USB chip :D  And it sounds good !!!

More on LG Optimus G Pro + UAE23:
Sound quality, very close as compared with playing UAE23 from notebook / PC.
Loudness, on G Pro with Yamaha HPH-200 I mostly played around 80-90% from the maximum volume. So loudness is sufficient.
Battery, with data and wifi OFF, I observe the following (battery was around 65% during the test):
  Screen constantly ON (brightness at 65%): Battery drop 1% approximately every 3 minutes
  Screen mostly OFF, only ON occasionally to check battery level: Battery drop 1% approximately every 6 minutes
All test above were using MP3 320kbps and AAC 512kbps (conversion using foobar with Nero AAC encoder).

Unfortunately so far I couldn't play FLAC 24/96, max playable only FLAC 24/48.
Players for testing: Default LG audio player, 'WinAmp', and 'Music Player for Android'.

Update on 20 Aug 2013:
Tested UAE23 with Samsung S3 and S4:
UAE23 : HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC, ES9023 + Tenor TE7022L
Samsung Galaxy S3 (MIUI ROM) : Not compatible with default audio player, didn't have the chance to test with the USB Audio Recorder.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (JB 4.2.2) : Not compatible with default audio player, didn't have the chance to test with the USB Audio Recorder.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,800 of 9,526
Quote:

I guess that requirement is not necessary anymore in the latest versions. ... Bottom line: just try and see if you can reach all buttons.

You only can try, if you have the smartphone already...

I intend to buy the Alcatel onetouch 997D
http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/products/smartphones/one_touch_997.html
which has a screen with 800x480 pixels, but because of the on-screen Back, Home and Recent
apps keys, you loose 65 pixels resulting in effective 735x480 pixels.

Is this sufficient for your USB Audio Recorder PRO?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2,801 of 9,526
And if eXtream does read this, I'd be interested in any updates on the USB audio service he's been working on... That sucker is going to be a game-changer, and I'm chompin' at the bit to get my grubby little paws on it 
size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,802 of 9,526
Quote:
I would like to share my experience with my HiFimeDIY USB Sabre DACs, hopefully it useful. 
happy_face1.gif

Honestly I haven't read through all the 187 pages of this thread, so please pardon me if someone else has posted similar info :)

Thanks for sharing.  I'm really curious to hear how these little Sabre DACs sound compared to my existing units.  Regarding the OG Pro battery: The screen on time probably isn't much different from the One or S4.  Screen off time, however, is probably best in class.  This comes in handy for music listening.  I only lose about 2 percent after listening to a whole album.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,805 of 9,526
Not sure if this has already been confirmed, but I got my Samsung Galaxy S3 to work with the Nova Tiny M DAC using any music playing app. Sounds superb too. A definite upgrade to the normal headphone out.

Samsung Galaxy S3>Poweramp>Nova Tiny M>Headphone>:)

http://www.mingo-hmw.com/home/goods.php?id=3040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back