Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 113

post #1681 of 5748

Hey guys, I'm back. I have another question. How much juice do you think I need to power an amp and a dac? Assume im using an android mini pc. And the usb line out on it. I was thinking something like this. The company makes it in three sizes, that being the smallest. Do you think that will be enough, or do i need to get a more powerful one? And how long do you think it would last on something like that. Thanks so much. I really have no clue on this one so any help or personal experiences would be a great help.

post #1682 of 5748

Hey, I have just rooted my Nexus 7 and am able to get USB audio out! This is pretty good stuff. 

 

Unfortunately I have to reboot the Nexus each time I want to plug/unplug the DAC. Is there any way around this? If anybody can help me out with this, it would be great! I am too computer challenged to figure it out myself. ha ha

 

Also, the Nexus volume control affects the volume of the signal going to the DAC. Should I just leave it at 100%? Will that cause any clipping, or does lowering the volume affect the quality of the signal? Any advice is great.

 

I am running SmoothROM and Trinity Kernel. Thanks in advance

post #1683 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Hey, I have just rooted my Nexus 7 and am able to get USB audio out! This is pretty good stuff. 

 

Unfortunately I have to reboot the Nexus each time I want to plug/unplug the DAC. Is there any way around this? If anybody can help me out with this, it would be great! I am too computer challenged to figure it out myself. ha ha

 

Also, the Nexus volume control affects the volume of the signal going to the DAC. Should I just leave it at 100%? Will that cause any clipping, or does lowering the volume affect the quality of the signal? Any advice is great.

 

I am running SmoothROM and Trinity Kernel. Thanks in advance

 

Haven't found anyway around the plug/unplug issue, the nexus volume should be left at 100% and use your amp to control the actual volume to the headphones

post #1684 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NehPets View Post

Please could you explain a little more about how your DragonFly is connected to your Galaxy Note 2? What version of Android are you running? What version of USB Audio Recorder Pro are you running? Is the DragonFly powered from the Note 2 or are you using a powered USB hub or USB Y-cable and external power supply?

I'm running USB Audio Recorder Pro 1.0.8 on my Galaxy Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105), which is running Android 4.1.1 and it can't initialize the USB device (DragonFly). I've tried powering the DAC directly from the phone, via the USB-OTG cable and also using a USB Y-cable and USB power supply, but neither of these works.

Thanks.

 

 

Usual question: Are you sure of your USB OTG cable?

You could test it using a simple USB mouse.

 

Otherwise, may be you should PM to the following guys:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1035#post_8959237

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1515#post_9101416

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

Hey guys, I'm back. I have another question. How much juice do you think I need to power an amp and a dac? Assume im using an android mini pc. And the usb line out on it. I was thinking something like this. The company makes it in three sizes, that being the smallest. Do you think that will be enough, or do i need to get a more powerful one? And how long do you think it would last on something like that. Thanks so much. I really have no clue on this one so any help or personal experiences would be a great help.

 

 

5V/1A or 5V/3A, it depends on your Android mini PC, your bus-powered (i.e. 5V/0.5A) or self-powered USB DAC, and other USB peripheral.

 

Minix NEO X5 Android mini PC:

"DC 5V Power-in jack

Connect the 5V power adapter supplied in the package to this port.

MINIX NEO X5 requires less than 1A to operate however we have supplied a 5V 3A adapter with consideration that you need to connect to other power-drawing external devices such as an external hard drive."

http://www.minix-tech.de/download/MINIX-NEO-X5-quick-setup-guide.pdf

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Hey, I have just rooted my Nexus 7 and am able to get USB audio out! This is pretty good stuff. 

 

Unfortunately I have to reboot the Nexus each time I want to plug/unplug the DAC. Is there any way around this? If anybody can help me out with this, it would be great! I am too computer challenged to figure it out myself. ha ha

 

 

"This program should enable USB audio support on your Nexus 7 - that means you are able to plug and unplug a USB sound card without having to reboot in order for it to work."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=67d6d18ebc93a1617203c54b76f87b5d&t=2029728


Edited by DanBa - 2/11/13 at 3:45am
post #1685 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NehPets View Post

Please could you explain a little more about how your DragonFly is connected to your Galaxy Note 2? What version of Android are you running? What version of USB Audio Recorder Pro are you running? Is the DragonFly powered from the Note 2 or are you using a powered USB hub or USB Y-cable and external power supply?

I'm running USB Audio Recorder Pro 1.0.8 on my Galaxy Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105), which is running Android 4.1.1 and it can't initialize the USB device (DragonFly). I've tried powering the DAC directly from the phone, via the USB-OTG cable and also using a USB Y-cable and USB power supply, but neither of these works.

Thanks.

make sure you connect the dragonfly before opening 'recorder'.  you may have to kill some lingering processes to make sure it is completely unloaded.  then connect the DF and give it a go

post #1686 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post

DragonFly uses a **** tons of power so you need external power to run it

My T-Mobile S3 runs the DF, but i can;t say for how long, as I have only connected it long enough for proof of concept that it works with 'recorder'

post #1687 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz View Post

 

Haven't found anyway around the plug/unplug issue, the nexus volume should be left at 100% and use your amp to control the actual volume to the headphones

even on XDA I'm fishing for an answer to this as well

 

I'm on an AOSP based ROM and it works (just no hotplugging).  I'm forced to reboot the device every time I want to swap between using the internal or external DAC

post #1688 of 5748

Asus Essence One Amp/DAC not working with Note 2, or Audio recorder pro.

 

The problem is that the Dac is defaulting to 192, sound is coming using Note 2 (without Audio recorder pro) but its messed up due to the 192...

 

With Audio recorder pro, the phone is freezing and even loosing mobile signal, and I had to restart it to get the signal back.

 

edit:

 

update: I stopped "Force 1 packet" in "Audio Recorder pro" and Voila its working......


Edited by turokrocks - 2/11/13 at 8:53am
post #1689 of 5748

Thanks for the advice. My OTG cable seems to be working OK; I can connect a USB storage device and access the files on it without a problem.

It sounds as though I need the external power source, based on what others are saying; my existing battery pack is supposed to output 5V@500mA, which should be more than enough, but maybe I should try something that can output 1A instead...

post #1690 of 5748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz View Post

 

Haven't found anyway around the plug/unplug issue, the nexus volume should be left at 100% and use your amp to control the actual volume to the headphones

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

"This program should enable USB audio support on your Nexus 7 - that means you are able to plug and unplug a USB sound card without having to reboot in order for it to work."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=67d6d18ebc93a1617203c54b76f87b5d&t=2029728

 

Good info, Thanks very much for the replies. I will look into that other thread as well, maybe get that plugging issue worked out.

post #1691 of 5748

i can't see the point of android mini pc as a portable device with a usb dac/amp.

Is just useless.
 

post #1692 of 5748

Superceded post


Edited by analogue 3 - 2/12/13 at 3:32pm
post #1693 of 5748

My E07k and OTG USB cables (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FCQDZS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01) just arrived and I immediately hooked them up to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  Regardless of what order I plug the cables in, the phone recognizes the OTG cable being plugged in but won't pass audio to the E07k.  No matter what audio/video source I use, the player plays in fast forward without audio.  I previously purchased USB Audio Recorder Pro but it won't recognize the E07k.  I have tested the OTG cables by using a wireless mouse with my phone and the E07k works perfectly with my work laptop.  My Note 2 is stock, on Sprint's network and is as updated as offered to this point.  I've seen other folks with this exact same issue on this site, but have yet to discover a resolution.

 

The MAIN reason I purchased this unit was for use with my Note 2.  I spent hours researching and decided I'd try one out (due to so many success stories) and I'd upgrade when the E18 comes out this summer.  Anyone find any resolution for this?  I've searched through these threads and others and as of now it simply seems that this works for some and not for others...even though the electronics are technically the same.  The E07k firmware can't be updated, can it?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #1694 of 5748

I'm fairly new to testing external DACS with Android devices and can only suggest the usual ideas I've come across:

 

Does booting the Note 2 up while connected to the DAC via your OTG cable make any difference? What about connecting the DAC and Note 2 via a powered hub. Perhaps other people are using a different Note 2 firmware to yours? I'm not sure how quickly Sprint release updates compared to other network providers or whether others are using OEM models with custom ROMS instead.

 

If a powered hub does help, maybe you can cobble together a more streamlined portable setup like in the picture posted by DanBa above:

www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1680#post_9151414

 

Good luck
 


Edited by analogue 3 - 2/12/13 at 3:31pm
post #1695 of 5748

Just now tried to boot up the Note 2 after the DAC was already connected and powered on, still no luck.  I don't currently have a powered USB hub for testing.

 

I am curious about the phone's carrier for the folks that have had success with the E07k and Note 2.  There are plenty of people, James from Fiio included, that have had success.  Maybe they are all using similar versions of the phone and Sprint users are just SOL for the time being?

 

Regardless, I need a solution until the E18 arrives.  DanBa's big list doesn't list the E7 as being compatible with the Note 2, but he also says the following after listing out Note 2-compatible DACs:

 

 

 

Quote:
So far, like the quad-core Exynos powered Galaxy S III, the new quad-core Exynos powered Samsung Galaxy Note II can work with the FiiO E7, the iBasso D12, Leckerton UHA-6S MKII, the ODAC, …

 

 

Does anyone know if the E7 is a safer bet than the E07k?  Or...should I just go with the iBasso D-Zero?

 

Thanks again for your help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs