Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,666 of 9,526
i jave just got my Nexus 7 rooted and running USB audio and can confirm that my MyST PortaDAC 1866 work amazing with it in USB and BT and my Fiio E17 also works. My Hippo CriCri+ and GoVibe VestAmp + had no luck however which is odd. My xDuuo XP-1 is also faulty not working with a S3, my mac, my pc and my N7.

​
This is an amazing rig. PortaDAC 1866 to MySt Port Amp to MyST Nail 2 V2 IEM which are amazing IEMs if anyone needs new ones. Review here:

[REVIEW] MyST Nail 2 V2 - Have I Finally Found a Heir 4.Ai Successor?

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,669 of 9,526
Hello all, I'm new here and I just recently started my journey on the road to being an audiophile. I was wondering where I could find some reliable information on unlocking the audio potential of my Samsung galaxy S? I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,670 of 9,526
Quote:
Hello all, I'm new here and I just recently started my journey on the road to being an audiophile. I was wondering where I could find some reliable information on unlocking the audio potential of my Samsung galaxy S? I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks!

Hey man! There are a bunch of places to look, but you've already found one of the two most important. Head-Fi tends to focus more on what headphones sound better from the S3, what external solutions one can use for it, what applications perform better, etc. XDA Developers is the other biggie, and they tend to dig into the software side of things, going as far as replacing the kernel of the operating system for another that is optimized for audio. As far as which specific threads, that depends more on what your specific question or area of interest is. 

As an off-the-cuff recommendation, I'd say check out Neutron Media Player (if you haven't already), and if you don't have a pair of decent headphones, definitely look into that first. You can then look into an external DAC and/or amp (which is the point of this particular thread), which can also provide a large improvement in the quality of the sound you're getting. 

Personally, if I had somebody with a budget around $200 looking for a starter system that should utterly decimate the audio quality of the S3 stock, I'd say Klipsch X10 and iBasso D-Zero. But that's based on MY preferences, which may have absolutely nothing to do with yours. And figuring out what brings you closer to the music is a big part of the fun of this whole endeavor :wink:

Take a look around man, and if you need help, people are here for you. I would caution, however, against posting at XDA without doing a significant amount of searching for your answer first... Those guys are super knowledgeable, and they have a markedly low tolerance for questions they don't think they should have to re-answer. Just a heads-up!

And just to be the first to say it: Welcome to Head-Fi!! Sorry about your wallet 
size]

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,671 of 9,526
Android phones, VentureCraft Go-Dap X USB DAC/amp, AKG K3003 hybrid IEM:
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=180&t=3140430&last=41454967

HTC Butterfly > digital USB audio out >> VentureCraft Go-Dap X >> AKG K3003

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > digital USB audio out >> VentureCraft Go-Dap X >> AKG K3003

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,672 of 9,526
Quote:

Hey man! There are a bunch of places to look, but you've already found one of the two most important. Head-Fi tends to focus more on what headphones sound better from the S3, what external solutions one can use for it, what applications perform better, etc. XDA Developers is the other biggie, and they tend to dig into the software side of things, going as far as replacing the kernel of the operating system for another that is optimized for audio. As far as which specific threads, that depends more on what your specific question or area of interest is. 

As an off-the-cuff recommendation, I'd say check out Neutron Media Player (if you haven't already), and if you don't have a pair of decent headphones, definitely look into that first. You can then look into an external DAC and/or amp (which is the point of this particular thread), which can also provide a large improvement in the quality of the sound you're getting. 

Personally, if I had somebody with a budget around $200 looking for a starter system that should utterly decimate the audio quality of the S3 stock, I'd say Klipsch X10 and iBasso D-Zero. But that's based on MY preferences, which may have absolutely nothing to do with yours. And figuring out what brings you closer to the music is a big part of the fun of this whole endeavor :wink:

Take a look around man, and if you need help, people are here for you. I would caution, however, against posting at XDA without doing a significant amount of searching for your answer first... Those guys are super knowledgeable, and they have a markedly low tolerance for questions they don't think they should have to re-answer. Just a heads-up!

And just to be the first to say it: Welcome to Head-Fi!! Sorry about your wallet 
size]

Thank you, I actually rooted the phone and got Poweramp. I will check out the Neutron Media player, I recently bought the ATH-M50s this past week and I'm in love. I'm looking into getting an amp/dac combo. I have my eye on the O2 paired up with a Hippo cricri+(Can use as a dac for the O2 as well as my phone for portability). I'm going to be buying the V-moda M100s soon and I wanted to have an amp before hand. Thanks for the welcoming!

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,673 of 9,526
Quote:
Thank you, I actually rooted the phone and got Poweramp. I will check out the Neutron Media player, I recently bought the ATH-M50s this past week and I'm in love. I'm looking into getting an amp/dac combo. I have my eye on the O2 paired up with a Hippo cricri+(Can use as a dac for the O2 as well as my phone for portability). I'm going to be buying the V-moda M100s soon and I wanted to have an amp before hand. Thanks for the welcoming!

The M50s seem to be pretty well liked around here, so it's good to hear you enjoy 'em! I'd mention that the O2 is more transportable than portable-- you won't be just slipping one into your pocket and going for a jog or anything 
size]
. And as far as the V-Moda goes, I've heard the M80, and I think that Val has absolutely set the bar for exceptionally well thought-out design and fun (if not particularly accurate) sound. I ended up buying two sets of M80 cans for music lovers in my family, if that says anything :wink:

Good luck on the DAC/amp combo, and let us know if you find any interesting combinations! 

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,674 of 9,526
Quote:
You can get virtually the same cord drom hakshop for $5. That ones a joke for $119.

based on your x-ray vision, psychic ability or both?  
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,675 of 9,526
Quote:
You can get virtually the same cord drom hakshop for $5. That ones a joke for $119.

X-ray vision aside (ha ha) Would that cable work the same as my eforcity OTG to USB adapter cable plus the USB  cable that came with my Nexus 7? That setup is too long, I need something a few inches instead. Thanks
Edit: The $5 one...

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,676 of 9,526
X-ray vision aside (ha ha) Would that cable work the same as my eforcity OTG to USB adapter cable plus the USB  cable that came with my Nexus 7? That setup is too long, I need something a few inches instead. Thanks
Edit: The $5 one...

I imagine it would. I do believe thoufh that the $119 cable is that price cos they know they can sell it for that much, not necessarily because its actually worth that much.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #1,677 of 9,526
USB audio & iMito MX1 Android mini PC:
http://www.squidoo.com/imito-mx1-android-mini-pc-bluetooth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23We_hkIgI
http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=669&start=10

iMito MX1 > digital USB audio out >> Behringer UCA222

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,679 of 9,526
Please could you explain a little more about how your DragonFly is connected to your Galaxy Note 2? What version of Android are you running? What version of USB Audio Recorder Pro are you running? Is the DragonFly powered from the Note 2 or are you using a powered USB hub or USB Y-cable and external power supply?
I'm running USB Audio Recorder Pro 1.0.8 on my Galaxy Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105), which is running Android 4.1.1 and it can't initialize the USB device (DragonFly). I've tried powering the DAC directly from the phone, via the USB-OTG cable and also using a USB Y-cable and USB power supply, but neither of these works.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back