Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,651 of 9,526
Quote:

Be sure to download the trial version first so you don't get disappointed if the playlist functionality is not sufficient. The link is in the app's description.

Thanks for the tip.

Downloaded the trial and everything worked without issue. Being able to play multiple tracks in sequence is a useful step forward. From a playback perspective it's a shame that you can't lock the device to turn the screen off and run the app at the same time (to preserve battery power). Greater playback functionality would obviously make the app a lot more useable for music listeners too.

I bought the app anyway in the hope it encourages development of a 'USB Playback Pro' version. I would be happy to pay again for that and I'm sure others would too.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,652 of 9,526
Quote:

<snip>

I bought the app anyway in the hope it encourages development of a 'USB Playback Pro' version. I would be happy to pay again for that and I'm sure others would too.

+1. Count me in as another buyer for a Playback Pro version that allows expanded playback options, ESPECIALLY if it can be set up as a service to work with existing players! Kudos to Davy for staying on top of adding to the functionality of the app!!

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,653 of 9,526
Has anyone successfully gotten an AudioQuest DragonFly to work with Android natively without USB Audio Recorder PRO?

I'm having a similar issue with my Ayre QB-9. It works with USB Audio Recorder Pro with the default settings, but there is no sound with any of the Nexus 7 kernels I've tried (Trinity, Faux, Timur, jacknorris). While the QB-9isn't a portable headphone dac, it does use the Streamlength async usb protocol, so I'm wondering if this is the problem. I'm also using a regular usb otg cable and not a Y cable.

Has anyone got a DAC using Streamlength async usb to work with an android device?

For what it's worth, the QB-9 works with my linux music server which has a 2.6.35 kernel.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,655 of 9,526
The CablePro Horizon USB micro to USB micro from TTVJ:
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Connect_your_Galaxy_S3_to_the_Glacier_p/the0000104.htm

"This is the cable that makes your Galaxy S3 phone connect and work with the digital out to our Apex Glacier! Extremely well built and sharp looking, this give you one of the finest portable rigs using your Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Apex Glacier. Of course having a pair of JH13 or JH16 IEMs doesn't hurt either!
The cable is marked with red on the GALAXY side and black on the GLACIER side. It is directional!"

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,656 of 9,526
Quote:
The CablePro Horizon USB micro to USB micro from TTVJ:
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Connect_your_Galaxy_S3_to_the_Glacier_p/the0000104.htm

"This is the cable that makes your Galaxy S3 phone connect and work with the digital out to our Apex Glacier! Extremely well built and sharp looking, this give you one of the finest portable rigs using your Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Apex Glacier. Of course having a pair of JH13 or JH16 IEMs doesn't hurt either!
The cable is marked with red on the GALAXY side and black on the GLACIER side. It is directional!"

Any ideas what it's made out of, out of curiosity? TTVJ doesn't say much but $119 is quite a bit to pay for a cable with little info on it's construction.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,658 of 9,526
Quote:
You can get virtually the same cord drom hakshop for $5. That ones a joke for $119.

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't mind paying for good cables (even for digital - despite what others may think), however I'd at least like to know what I'm paying for if I pick one up.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,659 of 9,526
Quote:

Any ideas what it's made out of, out of curiosity? TTVJ doesn't say much but $119 is quite a bit to pay for a cable with little info on it's construction.

+1

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,660 of 9,526
So, is there any way to get a USB dac working that will also charge the phone? I'm thinking of finally dumping my Zune HD and using my S3 full time, but what I'd want is to be able to get into my car, plug my phone in and have audio out work while the phone charges. All solutions I see here have the DAC being powered by the phone? Or do I misunderstand?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,661 of 9,526
Quote:
Hi people,

By popular request, I have have added very basic playlist functionality to USB Audio Recorder PRO. Don't get your hopes up too much, as I said, it's very basic! You can select a folder and it will play the wav/flac/ogg files in the folder (no mp3!). Your device still needs to be turned on and the app running in the foreground, but I see it as a bonus, since it's really a recording app.

Enjoy (if you can live with the limitations!),

Davy
eXtream Software Development

Wow, it's awesome that you made an account here and using it!!!
Is there any way you would consider some sort of app that lets you use USB audio throughout the whole device itself? Like some sort of kernel patcher or something like that?

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,662 of 9,526
So, is there any way to get a USB dac working that will also charge the phone? I'm thinking of finally dumping my Zune HD and using my S3 full time, but what I'd want is to be able to get into my car, plug my phone in and have audio out work while the phone charges. All solutions I see here have the DAC being powered by the phone? Or do I misunderstand?

Thanks!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1953061

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,663 of 9,526
Quote:
Wow, it's awesome that you made an account here and using it!!!
Is there any way you would consider some sort of app that lets you use USB audio throughout the whole device itself? Like some sort of kernel patcher or something like that?

There is a way in Android 4, but it would still be limited to 16-bit and the sample rate that your Android device's internal audio chip can handle. I am not interested at all in kernel patching since the majority of users do not run modified devices. And if you are kernel patching, you can just as well enable USB audio when you're at it...

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,664 of 9,526
hi just downloaded the app and it works perfect with my Transformer prime and centrance dacmini,  , with the asus usb adaptor plugged directly into the tablet. doesnt seem to work via the keyboard dock though.
also can anyone tellme how to exactly use the playlist feature ??

great effort with the app btw :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,665 of 9,526
Quote:
hi just downloaded the app and it works perfect with my Transformer prime and centrance dacmini,  , with the asus usb adaptor plugged directly into the tablet. doesnt seem to work via the keyboard dock though.
also can anyone tellme how to exactly use the playlist feature ??

great effort with the app btw :)

Thanks!
If you haven't done so already, please press the 'Help' button, it has some information on the usage and limits.
Basically, it's just a matter of selecting an audio file in a directory using the PlayList tab and that file will be your starting point. Press play when still in the PlayList tab and there you go. When you don't press stop or adjust the playback slider then it will continue playing with the next song when it's finished. Nothing fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back