Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 15, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #8,177 of 9,526

Did you change the default android up sampling ?
Android will pass usb audio @ 192 Khz irrespective of source input
frown.gif

No I didn't. I had no idea it does that :/ Why would it want to do that? How would I disable such nonsense?

Every one is trying to disable this, but till now no luck :frowning2:
Please let me know, if you get the solution :D

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #8,178 of 9,526
Did you change the default android up sampling ?
Android will pass usb audio @ 192 Khz irrespective of source input :frowning2:

No I didn't. I had no idea it does that :/ Why would it want to do that? How would I disable such nonsense?

It does this, because the system assumes there may be other audio streams from other apps running before / after / concurrently with the music you're listening to. If the DAC changes hardware sampling rate every time the input audio sample rate changes there would be breaks in the audio every time. And if two different rate streams are running concurrently the system must resample at least one of them.

To avoid these breaks in the audio the system sticks with one sample rate no matter what the input. In android 4/5 this was 44.1 or 48kHz, this was apparently too low-res for people so the new standard appears to be 192kHz.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 15, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #8,179 of 9,526
Android N preview 4 is out. Will install on Nexus 9 tonight and test USB audio out to the Mojo.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,180 of 9,526
I purchased a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-30 for $215 AUD recently for late night Netflix, I read it had OTG capabilities. I plugged my Tralucent DacAmp One in which worked immediately plug n play. Something to think about for home use.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #8,182 of 9,526
I don't know if others have a power drain issue with thier kit?
Picking the expert brains here.
I Run Audio pro from an S5 Sammy.
I run the chain to an IFI PURIFIER 2 Attached to an INTONA to my Oppo HA1.

I think the Intona is killing the battery. Would killing the power from the OTG and feeding the last part of the chain ifi intona work? Maybe a powered hub.

I get about an hour and a half tops. But it does sound good...Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #8,183 of 9,526
I purchased a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-30 for $215 AUD recently for late night Netflix, I read it had OTG capabilities. I plugged my Tralucent DacAmp One in which worked immediately plug n play. Something to think about for home use.

I have a Lenovo a10-70,and my recently acquired Zuperdac works beautifully :)

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #8,184 of 9,526
I have a Lenovo a10-70,and my recently acquired Zuperdac works beautifully
smily_headphones1.gif

Works out well for me because I sold my Galaxy Note 3 recently which I used mainly for external DACs.

Its a good deal, get a tablet for movies which doubles as my new transport around the house. :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #8,185 of 9,526
Works out well for me because I sold my Galaxy Note 3 recently which I used mainly for external DACs.

Its a good deal, get a tablet for movies which doubles as my new transport around the house. :)

I am new to DACs and AMPs.So technically an amp just amplifies the signal that is fed to it without changing the character of sound.Then why do people say they can hear different sound character after amping like wider soundstage or tighter bass.And my other question is about DAC.So technically when you connect a dac/amp to device it bypass the internal circuitry of the device and the device is then just used as a storage.So by this logic there should be no difference in sound using a dac/amp connected to a $3 chinese music player or a $1000 ak120 right?

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #8,186 of 9,526
1. Because some (hungry) headphones need more current (than what smartphones can provide) to really perform the best (wider soundstage/more powerfull bass/... it depends on the HP model). Some AMPs do also colour the sound (warmer sounding tube AMPs for example).

2. If your source outputs digitally the correct (error free) data to the DAC/AMP, no need to use expensive hardware (but this expensive DAP has other qualities : multi-microSD storage, battery life, screen and user interface quality, hardware buttons, internal quality DAC and opamps so you don't have to stack an external DAC-amp when you use portable headphones...)

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #8,187 of 9,526
  Yes! Got my Meridian Explorer 2 working with a smartphone!

It doesn't work with my Moto X Play, but works just fine with my old Oppo Find 7a (X9006) running ColorOS V1.2.7 (Android 4.3).

Now all I need is a big MicroSD card to keep the huge HiRes albums and an audio cable (3.5 mm to 3,5 mm) to connect the output of the DAC to the AUX input in my car. And voila! HiRes Audio on the go! :)

then the question is : does HD audio really enhance anything in a car audio system ?

maybe on a (silent) parking lot ?

(I guess you don't drive with Audeze or HD800 cans, do you ?)

ksc75smile.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #8,188 of 9,526
  then the question is : does HD audio really enhance anything in a car audio system ?

ksc75smile.gif

No, I don't drive around with headphones. 
ksc75smile.gif

My goal was to connect the phone through DAC to my car's AUX input. Meridian Explorer 2  has two outputs - one for headphones, another is line out to connect to external amps, etc.

My experiment hit a snag. I was able to connect the DAC to my car, but the sound is horrible. Really distorted. Not sure where the problem is - the 3.5 mm cable I bought, or maybe it's the car's AUX input. In my car (Mercedes Benz) there is no direct AUX input jack. It has a special connector port (they call it media interface) that is used to connect different devices with special cables that came with the car. One of the cables has an AUX input socket. I haven't had the time to experiment with this and find out where the problem is - the 3.5 mm cable or the car's AUX cable and/or media interface.

I know the DAC's line out is not the problem, as I connected it to my home A/V receiver with a 3.5 mm to RCA cable and it plays just fine.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #8,189 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not necessarily a silent parking lot, but a proper system with:

1. Properly mounted drivers especially the tweeters, with toe-in that manages glare/relative gain on the nearside unit as well as reflections off the windshield, in order to center the soundstage (this also assumes quality drivers were used to begin with)

2. Proper electronics that allow for custom time alignment on each driver relative to the driver seat (ie the downside is that this screws up the sound on every seat) - DSP with 5(front high + front mid/bandpass + mono sub, except the sub out still has two RCA sockets) channel outputs that has crossovers to split the signal, time delay on each driver, plus one amplifier channel on each driver (since the crossovers are applied in the digital stage, the passive crossovers are rendered useless)

3. Proper sound dampening - even a Japanese or Korean sedan can have a noise floor almost at the same level as a BMW cabin using sound dampening materials around the cabin, including the floor and on the interior side of the wheel arches. Also (relatively) silent running touring tyres vs whatever the factory or the boy racer next door usually uses

---

Still, even all these are just meant to deal with the actual issues of listening in a car, and even though such a system will make for a better platform to appreciate any difference in file formats, at the end of it all it's still a car. I'd rather have thousands of 320kbps in a thumb drive as long as I have the hardware above, which again deals more with the cabin than the idea of GIGO (when 320kbps isnt even "garbage" really), which is easier to use. DSPs for cars have long taken into account how some people are averse to taking apart stock systems (particularly with factory GPS and such), and in most cases the amp is built into the stereo console (other cars have RCA outputs and an amp hidden somewhere), so they take high-level (speaker amp) outputs as inputs, run the signal through an ADC which enables the use of the DSP, which allows for time alignment that deals with the fact that most people don't own a Maclaren F1. Not only are the innate features of all cars besides the Maclaren F1 or Alpine show cars the bigger issue, but using the stock stereo player avoids having cables everywhere and an interface that stll has hardware buttons and knob that you can feel without looking, and no cables either.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #8,190 of 9,526
I've done last night the following set-up: LG G4 with a 200Gb 90Mbps Micro SD card -> OTG USB Cable -> USB Cable -> Burson Conductor with the PCM DAC board with also using the Headphone Amp output -> Audeze LCD 2 & Sennheiser HD800. Initially I was using FLAC Files through the default Android music player, but the audio was very choppy and full of artifacts. So I've downloaded the USB Audio Player Pro trial and tried their many USB tweaks and with USB Tweak 1 everything worked flawlesly :) great fix as I've been trying for months to get something working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back