Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #8,146 of 9,526
Hello!
I recently joined the party with some ATH-M50x, but I won't have much time to enjoy them with my laptop because I am going on a road trip across the US. I will still have my phone though, so I picked up a FiiO K1 DAC/Amp for my phone.

Unfurtunately when I plug it into my phone (Moto X Pure Edition), the LED turns on and everything seems fine, then I plug my headphones in (M50x) and my phone just restarts and won't boot up until I unplug the device. I am using the stock cable connected to a USB OTG cable. I am running Android 6.0 and my USB configuration is MTP (media transfer protocol). For some reason if I select anything except MTP, it sets itself to "charging only."

Is this a problem eith my phone or the DAC? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #8,148 of 9,526
Hello!
I recently joined the party with some ATH-M50x, but I won't have much time to enjoy them with my laptop because I am going on a road trip across the US. I will still have my phone though, so I picked up a FiiO K1 DAC/Amp for my phone.

Unfurtunately when I plug it into my phone (Moto X Pure Edition), the LED turns on and everything seems fine, then I plug my headphones in (M50x) and my phone just restarts and won't boot up until I unplug the device. I am using the stock cable connected to a USB OTG cable. I am running Android 6.0 and my USB configuration is MTP (media transfer protocol). For some reason if I select anything except MTP, it sets itself to "charging only."

Thanks!

probably with the dac.  I had issues with it connected to a computer.  Cheap crap!

@Catseyeguy
FYI:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/788198/fiio-k1-smaller-and-better-for-less/90#post_12188286

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #8,150 of 9,526
Hello!

Thanks!

FiiO tells people that the K1 wasn't actually designed and advertised for use with mobile phones, for all the good that'll do...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8,151 of 9,526
Jun 6, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8,152 of 9,526
FiiO tells people that the K1 wasn't actually designed and advertised for use with mobile phones, for all the good that'll do...

yes, they conveniently leave out any information about what OS it works with yet they put a handy clip on it so you can clip it to your shirt, belt or whatever as you lug your 14 inch laptop around in a messenger bag on your noon walk.  haha

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,153 of 9,526
Hi all,

New here. Searched this thread up and down, but can't find the answer to my problem. I have Moto X Play (running Marshmallow 6.0.1) and I'm trying to connect Meridian Explorer 2 to it. I got an OTG cable, but when I connect the DAC, it does not turn on.

The DAC works fine with my laptops. OTG cable works fine with the phone, I tested it with a USB stick. I also connected the DAC with the same OTG cable to my wife's Samsung Galaxy S4 and it powers on immediately. I tried connecting the DAC to my phone and restarted the phone, but it didn't help. Downloaded Onkyo HF Player, but it's not detecting the DAC and audio source remains on Phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
o2smile.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #8,156 of 9,526
  Hi all,

New here. Searched this thread up and down, but can't find the answer to my problem. I have Moto X Play (running Marshmallow 6.0.1) and I'm trying to connect Meridian Explorer 2 to it. I got an OTG cable, but when I connect the DAC, it does not turn on.

The DAC works fine with my laptops. OTG cable works fine with the phone, I tested it with a USB stick. I also connected the DAC with the same OTG cable to my wife's Samsung Galaxy S4 and it powers on immediately. I tried connecting the DAC to my phone and restarted the phone, but it didn't help. Downloaded Onkyo HF Player, but it's not detecting the DAC and audio source remains on Phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
o2smile.gif

Here you go another great example of spotty android support from another player in the digital audio space.  From another headfi member who posted this response from Meridian:

Hmm, just sent an email to Explorer support and here's their answer:

Hi there,

Sorry, Explorer2 can be used with only PC and Mac.

Regards,

Des Ford
Meridian Audio Support Team
support@meridian.co.uk

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #8,158 of 9,526

It should work (certainly when using UAPP).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2025#post_9322048

Nothing is playing for me here. I have a Moto E2 > ODAC > Vorzamp setup. What could be some troubleshooting I can do? 

Tried with my LG V10, works flawlessly. Maybe is it Motorola.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8,159 of 9,526
Yeah, they don't officially support Android. But I think the problem here is with Motorola, since it works with Samsung.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

You probably meant to say it works with your Samsung,  
wink.gif
since not all Android Samsung phones support USB audio dacs even current ones.  I just dumped a Samsung phone that did not support any manufacturers usb dac/ amps made to work with Android.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #8,160 of 9,526
I think that the whole notion of universal OTG dac support for Android to be a fantasy! 

I have used devices that work with some phones yet not with others.  I have used devices that work once then will not connect again.  I have used some that work with some programs yet not with other supposedly working programs.  I have read of these same issues about pretty much every little usb/dac amp even the hottest and newest.  Some work great with older Lolipop and some do not work reliably with Marshmallow. 

It behooves anyone who is going to shell out some cash for a new or used USB dac/device to get confirmation form several folks who have the same configuration as you do including the generation of phone and which sweet version of Android you have.

I have given up on the idea entirely!  I had far less interruptions, connection issues etc back when I had a iPod touch and ran it via line out to a nice amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back