Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #7,786 of 9,526
  Only tried the Mojo with my Z3c, but I think Sony Z phones sound very good on their own and many DAC/Amps just screw up the sound. The only models I've tried that enhance the sound are Sony's PHA1A (more powerful presentation) and PHA2 (more power, details, soundstage). So far I've tried Chord Mojo, Oppo HA2, IFI Nano, Yulong D200, Aune S16, Sony PHA3.

thank you. but how does the sq get exacerbated by the mojo? i mean what aspects of sound do you feel is getting affected to make it sound worse?
would be really helpful if you could reply.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #7,787 of 9,526
  thank you. but how does the sq get exacerbated by the mojo? i mean what aspects of sound do you feel is getting affected to make it sound worse?

The key aspect I don't like is that the sound is less immediate via the Mojo, so less enthralling. It may be the Mojo doesn't work so well with my Sony.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #7,788 of 9,526

I visited a local shop specialized on audio to try Chord Mojo with my Sony Z5 (Dual-Sim) yesterday. I couldn't hear any difference in sound quality. I tried it with Shure 1540 headphones. I use Tidal, Spotify, MP3 320kbps and some lossless flacs which gave me the shop assistant because he told me if there was a differenc, I would hear it with this flac files. Even he did not hear any difference. We tried another headphones just tu be sure. Some opened-back AKG for more than $1,200. The headphones sounded better than Shure 1540 but no difference with Mojo and withnout. We tried it also with special hify set for more than $4,000 and again no difference. Maybe some marginal but not noticable for me and him. We agreed on the phone has really good DAC. Not so power when it comes to amplifier but for big cans like Shure 1540 it is enough. There were more than 30 different headphones and some of them was high-end so I suppose the guy should know.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #7,789 of 9,526
  The key aspect I don't like is that the sound is less immediate via the Mojo, so less enthralling. It may be the Mojo doesn't work so well with my Sony.

interesting. thanks.

I visited a local shop specialized on audio to try Chord Mojo with my Sony Z5 (Dual-Sim) yesterday. I couldn't hear any difference in sound quality. I tried it with Shure 1540 headphones. I use Tidal, Spotify, MP3 320kbps and some lossless flacs which gave me the shop assistant because he told me if there was a differenc, I would hear it with this flac files. Even he did not hear any difference. We tried another headphones just tu be sure. Some opened-back AKG for more than $1,200. The headphones sounded better than Shure 1540 but no difference with Mojo and withnout. We tried it also with special hify set for more than $4,000 and again no difference. Maybe some marginal but not noticable for me and him. We agreed on the phone has really good DAC. Not so power when it comes to amplifier but for big cans like Shure 1540 it is enough. There were more than 30 different headphones and some of them was high-end so I suppose the guy should know.

that is helpful. thank you.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #7,790 of 9,526
  what's the absolute cheapest compact android phone that supports otg usb? 
Needs to have micro sd expansion slot and good batter life.
I don't care about any think else like connectivitiy, display or performance because I'm onlly going to use it as transport, a music player. 

Many have good experiences with Galaxy S3

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,796 of 9,526
Help.

I have LG G3 running Droid 5.0.1 to OTC cable to FIIO X5 (in DAC Mode) to external vorzuge amp to HD650's headphones.  I am looking to stream TIDAL hifi but can only play FLAC via USB AUdio PLayer Pro right now- cannot get sound from my usb port for any other app (including TIDAL).  

I have been doing some reading on this thread and appears I may need to downgrade my droid OS version? Seems messy but may have to do it (it's a work phone). 

Is there another item I could try? 

IF not what version of droid should I revert to and best link to action. 

Thanks in advance all. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #7,797 of 9,526
Jan 22, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #7,798 of 9,526
How about using UAPP to access to the Tidal music streaming service?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7350#post_12061822

Contrary to UAPP, the TIDAL music player uses the native USB audio service which currently resamples / "molests the bit rate".
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6270#post_12135360

Tidal does work via UAPP but you can't acces your 'offline' downloaded music which is a pain. As far as devices that work with the Tidal app via OTG you need one that is running Kitkat 4.4, the only only I've tried is the SonyZX2 DAP. Maybe the next Android update will fix this?

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7,799 of 9,526
Thank you both for the replies. I looked around for my old phone- a nexus 5-and found it. Great thing about google phones, as you know, is they get the latest droid os first. Droid 6.0 was available immediately after i revived the phone and checked for updates. After downloading and intsalling-it worked.. audio via usb worked natively (no uapp). Looks like droid 6.0 is a go...which is goods for all of us. sometime this year we should get 6.0 on our non google phones.

So in the meantime i am going to use my nexus as my portable rig where i have wifi, and try out the uapp with tidal as per your suggestion when away from wifi with my LG G3.

It appears, based on the molestation tidal does to the audio stream i should use tidal with uapp on my nexus even though it will work nativtly? Do you guys agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back