Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 23, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #7,801 of 9,526
HiFime 9018D USB DAC: http://hifimediy.com/9018D-dac

Works fine with my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.1.1:

With UAPP native playback up to with 24bit/192 and DXD up to 384 kHz. DSD without DoP support (don't work if I enable DoP in UAPP), but still playback up to DSD256, the DAC is showing 384 kHz instead.

Only con of this USB DAC it drains battery hard, but my Samsung S4 has a 7200 mAh battery inside, I don't care the battery drain.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #7,802 of 9,526
Yes. I've noticed these setups allows power to move from the phone to the dac (otc cable?)... draining the phone quicker.

I may source out one of those otc cables that has a third adapter that allows one to power the phone at the same time. I noticed them on the web the other day.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #7,803 of 9,526
My Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch running Android 4.4.2  (SM-T330NU) works with my Fiio E17 without additional power. It also works with spotfiy. However, i head not all Galaxy Tab 4s support usb otg. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #7,804 of 9,526
The usb otg y cable i bought from ebay powers my usb device and charges my phone/tablet at the same time. I don't think the seller knows that either. 

Yes. I've noticed these setups allows power to move from the phone to the dac (otc cable?)... draining the phone quicker.

I may source out one of those otc cables that has a third adapter that allows one to power the phone at the same time. I noticed them on the web the other day.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #7,805 of 9,526
I'm confused. Does an android phone that supports otg usb native means it will work with any dac no exceptions without replying on drivers supported within dedicated music player like usb audio player pro? So far the only dac/amp combo that seems to work with any otg usb supported android phone is the Fiio E18, Centrance hifim8 and other certified dacs. 
Reading through this thread, it seems native otg support is dependent on the type of dac. 
I'm currently using my lg g3 and only supports otg usb via usb audio player pro with a dacport lx. Tidal doesn't not work. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #7,806 of 9,526
I'm confused. Does an android phone that supports otg usb native means it will work with any dac no exceptions without replying on drivers supported within dedicated music player like usb audio player pro? So far the only dac/amp combo that seems to work with any otg usb supported android phone is the Fiio E18, Centrance hifim8 and other certified dacs. 
Reading through this thread, it seems native otg support is dependent on the type of dac. 
I'm currently using my lg g3 and only supports otg usb via usb audio player pro with a dacport lx. Tidal doesn't not work. 

1. Not all DAC's will work via OTG
2. As stated a few posts earlier, Tidal app only works via OTG on Andoid 4.4 or 6

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #7,807 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. Does an android phone that supports otg usb native means it will work with any dac no exceptions without replying on drivers supported within dedicated music player like usb audio player pro?

No, all Android devices generally work with OTG, but not always digital audio output. You can use OTG to hook up a USB drive or a mouse to a Galaxy S, but only the S3 and later will output audio natively; I'm not even sure if the S2 can do so with UAPP.

Quote:

So far the only dac/amp combo that seems to work with any otg usb supported android phone is the Fiio E18, Centrance hifim8 and other certified dacs. 

Apart from all Android devices technically supporting OTG function (except, again, not all support audio as they would a USB drive), in some cases, certified devices don't even need a USB-OTG connection. Some cars and HT receiver for example just need the data cable, and they act as a host device, relegating the Android to storage; in dedicated DACs, it's basically the same thing except the GUI on the phone remains active.

It's similar to how some DACs work with iDevices if you use the camera connection kit USB adapter, but only DACs with the "Made for i(Device)" badge will do so with just the data cable.

Quote:

It is. Primary consideration is software - if the DAC needs particular drivers then it cant work with generic USB drivers. In some cases, thsoe specific drivers are necessary to transmit high-res files, but the USB receiver chip still wouldn't work even if you're using regular 16/44.1 tracks. Surprisingly, I have a Pangea HP101 that won't work properly with Windows - ie, only Foobar and MediaMonkey works on it, but streaming services and other sound on the browser along with XBMC all don't work on it, but my Note3 does. Except I get low volume static and pops.

The other concern is power - the USB receiver and other chips past it, like the DAC chip itself, may require power through USB that cannot be supplied by a mobile device, but a computer can. In such cases it simply won't produce any sound, but I suspect this to be the problem with my Note3 and HP101.

In your case though it's the software.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,809 of 9,526
I saw the link the showed the various ways to connect android device to use tidal.  Thank you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7350#post_12061822

The option for tidal via uapp, does not include instructions.   Can anyone advise (or send link) on how to use tidal with uaap?  

Thanks

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #7,810 of 9,526
  great.   can you post the link or description of the one you purchased?  

It charges on my nexus 4. But on my Galaxy Tab 4, it doesn't charge it. I think it depends on the device, but nevertheless here's the link 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281839256083?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #7,811 of 9,526

The option for tidal via uapp, does not include instructions.   Can anyone advise (or send link) on how to use tidal with uaap?  

Thanks

It's all done within UAPP.

Open UAPP, tap the orange music selection icon. drop down the "Artists/Albums/Songs" list and near the bottom there's an option for Tidal.

I think the first time you use it it asks for your Tidal username and password, if not there's an 'Account' option at the top to enter your details.

Once you enter your password, a Tidal menu appears to select playback from.

You can select the bitrate from the settings menu (three vertical dots top right).

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #7,812 of 9,526

My humble rig.
LG G4-Fiio E07k andes- DT 770's 250 ohm- Atrio mg7
Need help upgrading, should i get new cans like hd 25 II or denon 7000 or upgrade my dac/amp to mojo. Budget is 500$.

Regards,

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #7,813 of 9,526
There are three ways to use the Tidal music streaming service with an Android device at least:

1. TIDAL music player & native USB audio
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aspiro.tidal&hl=fr

Like the stock music player or other generic music players (Spotify, YouTube, BubbleUPnP, Kodi, Poweramp …), the TIDAL music player uses the native USB audio service.
As the USB specification allows some variability and some Android USB audio implementations are in their infancy, a given native USB audio is or isn’t compatible with a given USB DAC.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUea3U3aTJ1RkpQdW8/edit?pli=1

Apparently the native USB audio of the Galaxy S3 can’t work with the Chord Mojo.
Apparently the native USB audio of the Galaxy Note4 can work with the Chord Mojo (i.e. the TIDAL music player running on the Galaxy Note4 is fully functional).
"Works with Note 4 here, I always power on USB DACs and attach to the OTG cable before connecting to Android devices. It upsamples in apps that don't provide their own USB audio drivers though, but then I only need UAPP, so no problem for my use."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4065#post_12055086

It is worth noting that the third-party USB audio driver of UAPP (USB Audio Player PRO) is compatible with the Chord Mojo.

2. TIDAL music streaming service & USB Audio Player PRO
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=fr

The latest version 2.2.5 of UAPP with Tidal API support allows to access to the Tidal music streaming service.

3. TIDAL music streaming service & UPnP/DLNA with BubbleUPnP & USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.unlocker&hl=fr

The UPnP/DLNA media controller performs actions to create a link between the UPnP/DLNA media server and UPnP/DLNA media renderer enabling the UPnP/DLNA media renderer to playback the selected media stored on the UPnP/DLNA media server.

UPnP/DLNA media controller: UAPP

UPnP/DLNA media server: BubbleUPnP with Tidal API support + Tidal music streaming servers on the cloud
UPnP/DLNA media renderer: UAPP

It is worth noting that BubbleUPnP also allows to access to the hi-res featured Qobuz music streaming service and the Google Play Music streaming service for the time being.

I don't quite follow this. What's the best way to play Tidal via my Galaxy S4 and Oppo HA-2?

I have the USB Audio Pro app, but it only plays music from my SD card.

What am I doing wrong?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #7,814 of 9,526
It's all done within UAPP.

Open UAPP, tap the orange music selection icon. drop down the "Artists/Albums/Songs" list and near the bottom there's an option for Tidal.

I think the first time you use it it asks for your Tidal username and password, if not there's an 'Account' option at the top to enter your details.

Once you enter your password, a Tidal menu appears to select playback from.

You can select the bitrate from the settings menu (three vertical dots top right).

Nevermind, I found this super helpful post. But how do you access your offline albums?

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #7,815 of 9,526
Anyone have a link to OTG Y-cables on Amazon that allow for USB power source to be plugged in to help power the DAC? I know these came up before, and hubs can sometimes confuse the host device so I'm avoiding those; I searched on this thread but all the results I've seen seem to show only the cables that enable charging the phone, not for sending power to the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back