Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #7,816 of 9,526
So I saw some dude on YouTube named Dale doing some pretty cool video reviews. I think he might be on Headfi, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, he had this really cool EQ program that he used to "correct" the EQ on his headphones to compensate for weird peaks and valleys in the FR.

This program was way more sophisticated than the EQ apps we see on the Google Play Store.

Does such an pseudo-professiin app exist for Android? This would definitely be the kind of thing I'd be willing to pay for.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #7,818 of 9,526

Anyone have a link to OTG Y-cables on Amazon that allow for USB power source to be plugged in to help power the DAC? I know these came up before, and hubs can sometimes confuse the host device so I'm avoiding those; I searched on this thread but all the results I've seen seem to show only the cables that enable charging the phone, not for sending power to the DAC.

Delock USB Y-Cable (Power/Data)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Delock-data-power-cable-65306/dp/B001BHVMIU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453717097&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Delock+y+cable+usb

Actual

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #7,820 of 9,526
So I saw some dude on YouTube named Dale doing some pretty cool video reviews. I think he might be on Headfi, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, he had this really cool EQ program that he used to "correct" the EQ on his headphones to compensate for weird peaks and valleys in the FR.

This program was way more sophisticated than the EQ apps we see on the Google Play Store.

Does such an pseudo-professiin app exist for Android? This would definitely be the kind of thing I'd be willing to pay for.

Thanks!

Viper4Android ?

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #7,821 of 9,526

It's all done within UAPP.

Open UAPP, tap the orange music selection icon. drop down the "Artists/Albums/Songs" list and near the bottom there's an option for Tidal.

I think the first time you use it it asks for your Tidal username and password, if not there's an 'Account' option at the top to enter your details.

Once you enter your password, a Tidal menu appears to select playback from.

You can select the bitrate from the settings menu (three vertical dots top right).

That's great, thanks.  I've done this and it's working.  Sort of.  The volume is now just too low.  Any suggestions? 

I'm not outputting to an external DAC at the moment as my OTG cable has just broken and I'm waiting for another to wind its way from Hong Kong.  Are there any advantages to using UAPP for Tidal if not using an external DAC?  Tidal has been working fine into a DAC (HRT microstreamer) without UAPP, so I don't need to use UAPP just to make it work. I presume I can expect to hear some improvement in sound quality?

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #7,822 of 9,526

I am using a otg usb adaptor connected to a male to mini y cable cable and can't get the phone to charge at all via the otg usb cable let along get the dac to function simultaneously. However the dac functions perfectly fine until I plug in the other usb end into a charger the dac immediately stops working. What should I do? 

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #7,823 of 9,526
  It charges on my nexus 4. But on my Galaxy Tab 4, it doesn't charge it. I think it depends on the device, but nevertheless here's the link 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281839256083?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Imeem,

Are you saying this cable powers 2 devices at the same time.or are you saying you are using this cable as an OTG usb data cable to a DAC and powers the source (phone) device at the same time?   I think you referred to former.  I just want to be sure before I buy it.   

If not, has anyone had success finding a OTG Usb Data cable that also powers the source phone (with a third adapter dongle, likely a female mico-usb)?  

Thanks in advance.   

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #7,824 of 9,526
  Imeem,

Are you saying this cable powers 2 devices at the same time.or are you saying you are using this cable as an OTG usb data cable to a DAC and powers the source (phone) device at the same time?   I think you referred to former.  I just want to be sure before I buy it.   

If not, has anyone had success finding a OTG Usb Data cable that also powers the source phone (with a third adapter dongle, likely a female mico-usb)?  

Thanks in advance.   

I think a guarantee way that will work for the latter is with a powered usb hub by instead plugging the usb end that goes the computer usb port into a standard micro to female usb otg cable and then the charger to the hub. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #7,825 of 9,526
Thank you for the response Fungus.   

"plugging the usb end that goes the computer usb port into a standard micro to female usb otg cable and then the charger to the hub. "

Do you mean this:  Phone OTG cable coming from phone, with female usb open -to -male normal USB (into the female USB of OTG) -to- male USB into USB powered hub.   
Then...normal (male) usb from powered hub to micro SD into DAC with separate cable.   

The question is will phone be charged in this instance, back through the OTG cable?   If not exactly, what Y cable are you suggesting I should use.  I don;t think you mean this one.   
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281839256083?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thanks...

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #7,826 of 9,526
  Imeem,

Thanks in advance.   

i think the former too. However, I only experience this with my nexus 4. I tried it with another android device and it doesn't charge it, it only provides additional power for the usb dac. 

So with my nexus 4, the cable I link is able to charge my phone and at the same time, allow additional power to be send to my usb dac. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #7,827 of 9,526
  Thank you for the response Fungus.   

"plugging the usb end that goes the computer usb port into a standard micro to female usb otg cable and then the charger to the hub. "

Do you mean this:  Phone OTG cable coming from phone, with female usb open -to -male normal USB (into the female USB of OTG) -to- male USB into USB powered hub.   
Then...normal (male) usb from powered hub to micro SD into DAC with separate cable.   

The question is will phone be charged in this instance, back through the OTG cable?   If not exactly, what Y cable are you suggesting I should use.  I don;t think you mean this one.   

thanks...

You just need a female usb otg cable and a usb powered hub depending on the dac port either a micro or mini male usb into any of the available port on the powered hub. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #7,828 of 9,526
  That's great, thanks.  I've done this and it's working.  Sort of.  The volume is now just too low.  Any suggestions? 

I'm not outputting to an external DAC at the moment as my OTG cable has just broken and I'm waiting for another to wind its way from Hong Kong.  Are there any advantages to using UAPP for Tidal if not using an external DAC?  Tidal has been working fine into a DAC (HRT microstreamer) without UAPP, so I don't need to use UAPP just to make it work. I presume I can expect to hear some improvement in sound quality?

I normally use an external DAC, but I've just listened to Tidal from the headphone socket on my S3 and the volume is more or less the same via UAPP and via the Tidal app. I can't think why it should be any different.

To my mind the sound quality via UAPP was slightly better. I don't know enough about the internals of the apps to understand why that is. UAPP has some options to control the Android sample rate conversion. I have it left at "device native".

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #7,829 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a otg usb adaptor connected to a male to mini y cable cable and can't get the phone to charge at all via the otg usb cable let along get the dac to function simultaneously. However the dac functions perfectly fine until I plug in the other usb end into a charger the dac immediately stops working. What should I do? 

What I'm looking for is a Y-cable to send power to the DAC from a powerbank or a USB charger, but AFAIK, there's no way to charge the phone and power the DAC simultaneously, and in most cases, charging the phone and using OTG just doesn't work at all. In the reviews of those cables from Amazon some claim to have made it work but I got a technical note that it doesn't, so there's a possibility that the reviews were fluff from the seller.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #7,830 of 9,526
Different types of USB OTG-Y cable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5280#post_10829881

Information search:
1. Click on the following link
https://www.google.fr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22XY%22+site:http:%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F595071%2Fandroid-phones-and-usb-dacs

2. Replace XY by your search keywords: ACA or Elijah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back