Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #7,756 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Note3, and on a horizontal dock, it's kind of like a Squeezebox. It's feeding a D-Zero which feeds the DAC via line out - the HP101's USB DAC requires a Windows/Mac driver. In any case, if you're planning on using it desktop, try to go for any used unit that has sync docks available for it (unless you can use a 3D printer) as keeping it upright like that helps with the ergonomics. If anything, some docks tend to be too light (especially if the phone fits with a case on), so some Blutack on it will help. I used those with my S3 but this time I just use the S-Pen.

If however you find something new but cheap that has sync docks available for it, go for it.

Update on this: tonight my phone's USB OTG was malfunctioning, so I got a different OTG adapter, and before hooking it up to the D-Zero, I hooked it up to the HP101, on a hunch tat when I tried it, the cable was just malfunctioning. Lo and behold, it worked! Android USB audio drivers are working better than Windows (installing it into my Win7 laptop took several attempts, and now, only Foobar works - ie, YouTube and streaming sources do not).

Well, it did for about a few minutes and then the signal started stuttering. I put it back on the D-Zero and the problem wasn't there. I'm still not sure if it's just the cable again, but if I get to borrow a powered USB hub, I'm going to try it again. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #7,757 of 9,526
Is Chord Mojo suitable for Shure 1540 or is it better to use iFi Micro iDSD? I have portable Cozoy Aegis but I can't hear any difference comparing Sony Z5 headphones output. And it really drains phone's battery. So I consider something with built-in battery. I read somewhere iFi Micro iDSD is better for big cans and Mojo for IEM. But I don't like size of iFi. I want to use it as a portable DAC to my pocket with smartphone. Or is there something better? But not more expensive.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #7,758 of 9,526
I reckon that is about the best option for a modern phone.

I would still rate a good second-hand Galaxy S3 highly. Coupled with the Anker 7200 mAh battery it can last up to a week between charges (although it does make for a heavy stack).

I just picked up a Galaxy S4 and a new battery last week. It's bulky, but less bulky than my all-aluminum, rounded-back HTC One M8.

If I can get all the utility of the S4 (sans removable battery) at a lower price, and smaller form factor, I'm in.

Are all those Moto phones solid via OTG because they run stock Android?

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #7,759 of 9,526
Galaxy s4 mini?
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9190_galaxy_s4_mini-5375.php

Quote:
I just picked up a Galaxy S4 and a new battery last week. It's bulky, but less bulky than my all-aluminum, rounded-back HTC One M8.

If I can get all the utility of the S4 (sans removable battery) at a lower price, and smaller form factor, I'm in.

Are all those Moto phones solid via OTG because they run stock Android?

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #7,760 of 9,526
Is Chord Mojo suitable for Shure 1540 or is it better to use iFi Micro iDSD? I have portable Cozoy Aegis but I can't hear any difference comparing Sony Z5 headphones output. And it really drains phone's battery. So I consider something with built-in battery. I read somewhere iFi Micro iDSD is better for big cans and Mojo for IEM. But I don't like size of iFi. I want to use it as a portable DAC to my pocket with smartphone. Or is there something better? But not more expensive.

The Mojo has plenty of power for full sized cans, it has the exact same output power as the Hugo, no idea where you heard that but it isn't accurate.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #7,761 of 9,526

Copied my post from Mojo thread:

Super happy with my super cheap transport stacked with my Mojo using the slimmer dual lock. 

I purchased this Sprint Moto E 2nd Gen with a microsd slot. It has NATIVE Android USB audio so you don't need UAPP to listen from the Mojo. Google Music works just perfectly like on my Nexus 6. It's on sale right now too for $39.99 shipped:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-prepaid-motorola-moto-e-4g-with-8gb-memory-no-contract-cell-phone-black/2729581.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

]

Do you use  wifi or 3G/4G while connectong Moto E to mojo? did you experience any interference , RF , or whatever? 

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #7,762 of 9,526

Bass test is ready to play.

roughly 680mW into 16ohm ...plenty of juice

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #7,763 of 9,526
  Do you use  wifi or 3G/4G while connectong Moto E to mojo? did you experience any interference , RF , or whatever? 

I am using it strictly as a music player with airplane mode and wifi on. I don't have Sprint as my carrier so I can't test 3g/4g. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #7,764 of 9,526
The Mojo has plenty of power for full sized cans, it has the exact same output power as the Hugo, no idea where you heard that but it isn't accurate.

Ok, I may have misunderstood it. It was from this discussion http://www.head-fi.org/t/789009/chord-mojo-vs-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-m9xx-optional-vs-audeze-deckard-lcd-3-or-sony-xba-z5. So do you mean there is no differenc as for Chord Mojo vs iFi micro iDSD?

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #7,767 of 9,526

Yes.
The Mojo is the dominant force. Buncha fanboys hyping the **** out of it but it is in fact an amazing item. ( I just kinda hyped and fanboy'd right there)

i saw u entering the headphone store in one of your videos, and you keep going back to the sony a2, did u try those expensive iems like rhapsody solar or jhaudio roxanne or angie, or k10u

i am happy u like the mojo like me, i guess in the beginning you were bit skeptical, but with android and v4a and mojo its end game setup

by the way since u like to other types of music that are not bass oriented what headphones do u use for metal or progressive rock

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #7,768 of 9,526
  i saw u entering the headphone store in one of your videos, and you keep going back to the sony a2, did u try those expensive iems like rhapsody solar or jhaudio roxanne or angie, or k10u

i am happy u like the mojo like me, i guess in the beginning you were bit skeptical, but with android and v4a and mojo its end game setup

by the way since u like to other types of music that are not bass oriented what headphones do u use for metal or progressive rock

The 800ST are amazing with the Mojo (vent covered) for all my genre' (Hip Hop, Reggae, R&B, Classic Rock,  some metallica too)

Balanced Armature bass is not for me.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #7,770 of 9,526

The 800ST are amazing with the Mojo (vent covered) for all my genre' (Hip Hop, Reggae, R&B, Classic Rock,  some metallica too)

Balanced Armature bass is not for me.

i have the sony z5 i know u tried it in the store so how is the 800st different than z5 if u remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back