Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 17, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #7,591 of 9,526
64gb Mate 8 finally tracking now, should be here Monday. Going to be so disappointed if they haven't resolved the USB audio issues I had on the P8Max/Kirin 935 SoC.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7,594 of 9,526
Dec 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,595 of 9,526
Mate 8 arrived today, happily USB audio is working well, which is just as well, as that was the deal-breaker with the P8Max. Mate 8 --> Chord Mojo --> MrSpeakers Ether C sounding too good. I got the 64gb Mate 8 to use with my 200gb card, but 128gb internal storage version also available for audiophiles looking to carry even more aboard their phone-as-transport.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #7,596 of 9,526
Is there any general consensus on which Android phone is relatively cheap (used) and supports OTG (for USB audio out). What options would one consider if they wanted to pick up a smartphone dedicated for this purpose and nothing else?

Surely as this threads grown to such size we have an idea what's cheap can be purchased used and works well?

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #7,597 of 9,526
Is there any general consensus on which Android phone is relatively cheap (used) and supports OTG (for USB audio out). What options would one consider if they wanted to pick up a smartphone dedicated for this purpose and nothing else?

Surely as this threads grown to such size we have an idea what's cheap can be purchased used and works well?

Define cheap? Agree, must be some options. I've not seen confirmation that the Zenfone 2 supports usb audio, that'd be a reasonable candidate if it did. The Xiaomi Note 3 I think has an SD slot, again, if it works a good candidate there. Secondhand the LG G4 can be had at pretty good prices, it works. The Note 4 secondhand also a solid option, but probably getting a bit pricier there.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #7,598 of 9,526

Depends what you mean by cheap. I would recommend the Galaxy S3 used from say eBay. I use mine as a dedicated source after being upgraded by my carrier. I was going to sell it as I usually do with upgraded handsets but decided jump on this train.

I have rooted it, uninstalled everything except the necessary using titanium backup pro and I am very happy with the performance of it as a source. The only drawback is according to specs is it only supports up to 64Gb MicroSD but not sure if anybody has tested any higher capacity cards. In addition it's not slated for any updates after Android 4.3 AFAIK.

I have tested it with UAPPro, Hiby and Onkyo and they all worked flawlessly though now I only use UAPPro as it supports Tidal. I have never had any issues with it connecting to my oppo or my 4 year old iBasso D6 which was a pleasant surprise.

Edit: Just looked on XDA Forums and it does support 128gb FAT32.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #7,599 of 9,526
Define cheap? Agree, must be some options. I've not seen confirmation that the Zenfone 2 supports usb audio, that'd be a reasonable candidate if it did. The Xiaomi Note 3 I think has an SD slot, again, if it works a good candidate there. Secondhand the LG G4 can be had at pretty good prices, it works. The Note 4 secondhand also a solid option, but probably getting a bit pricier there.

Depends what you mean by cheap. I would recommend the Galaxy S3 used from say eBay. I use mine as a dedicated source after being upgraded by my carrier. I was going to sell it as I usually do with upgraded handsets but decided jump on this train.

I have rooted it, uninstalled everything except the necessary using titanium backup pro and I am very happy with the performance of it as a source. The only drawback is according to specs is it only supports up to 64Gb MicroSD but not sure if anybody has tested any higher capacity cards. In addition it's not slated for any updates after Android 4.3 AFAIK.

I have tested it with UAPPro, Hiby and Onkyo and they all worked flawlessly though now I only use UAPPro as it supports Tidal. I have never had any issues with it connecting to my oppo or my 4 year old iBasso D6 which was a pleasant surprise.

Edit: Just looked on XDA Forums and it does support 128gb FAT32.

I think between $150 - $200, we need to keep things realistic.

Something which can be purchased on eBay second hand. I have used the Galaxy S3 and its a great option however have you tried it with many other dac/amps oldmate? I have had some flawsess sucess with some dac/amps using the S3 but others have been problematic.

Unfortunately the dac/amp I want to use (Tralucent DacAmp One) is one which causes glitches with Galaxy S3. Galaxy S4 however has been the most compatible smartphone I have tried to run natively without the help of any apps, just its price is right on the border of our set budget. Used, they're around $200 AUD, however for US residents that might be the best option.

Note 3 seems to (so far) work natively without a problem, but the idea of this search is to find something cheap which supports OTG and can be strapped to a dac/amp, ultimately create a full portable rig. I DO think as oldmate mentioned Galaxy S3 is probably the best contender in size and pricing, I"m just not sure on its complete compatibility.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #7,601 of 9,526
  When you say natively you mean within the android framework right and using apps like Poweramp or Neutron for example.

Yes, without the help of any apps is what I meant.

Its not a priority in my situation, if we can settle on a player that needs USB Audio Player Pro to run, that's not a problem. (I would just be playing FLAC files)

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #7,602 of 9,526
Regards S3 and microSD size - it'll work with 200gb cards formatted to Fat32 also.

Regards working with a wide variety of DACs natively without UAPP or similar, I think pre-Note 3 you might be struggling.

Someone needs to buy a Zenfone 2 and/or Xiaomi Note 3 I think!

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #7,604 of 9,526
(I might pick up a Xiaomi Note 3 out of curiosity when I sell some other gear, obviously will report back if so)

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #7,605 of 9,526
I have had my S3 working with Cozoy Aegis and Astrapi natively, so its quite user-friendly. (I think it was ok with HA-2 as well?) Just my dac/amp (the Tralucent) is slightly problematic, I did have it working with Hiby (Galaxy S3) but it crashed after a few tests. USB Audio Player Pro would freeze and require a reset.

S4 however never missed a beat with the Tralucent DAC, not one crash (but I sold my Galaxy S4) 

Anyway, if other members think they have a good option of cheap smartphone fire away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back