Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #7,606 of 9,526
Ah, no card slot in the Xiaomi Note 3, thought it did have one. Damn, for the money that's a whole lot of phone otherwise! Research continues.

Meizu M2 Note perhaps?

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #7,607 of 9,526
Ok @H20Fidelity I just tested the S3 hooked up to my HA-2 and used Poweramp which is a stock android app that does not utilize any special drivers to talk to it - just stock Android 4.3. I'm pretty sure and if I'm not someone please correct me that if Poweramp works your stock android player will as well. Bear in mind you are restricted to the android framework as far as audio goes but as you are only playing flac.

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

You know if you stretch your budget out a little you could get a new S3. I would.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #7,608 of 9,526
  Ok @H20Fidelity I just tested the S3 hooked up to my HA-2 and used Poweramp which is a stock android app that does not utilize any special drivers to talk to it - just stock Android 4.3. I'm pretty sure and if I'm not someone please correct me that if Poweramp works your stock android player will as well. Bear in mind you are restricted to the android framework as far as audio goes but as you are only playing flac.

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

You know if you stretch your budget out a little you could get a new S3. I would.

Galaxy S3 is looking the best option...for every dac/amp expect mine. 
tongue.gif

Thanks for trying mate! 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #7,609 of 9,526
Oldmate - quite correct that if PowerAMP works the stock player will also (as well as Tidal etc). PowerAMP does not supply it's own USB audio drivers.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #7,611 of 9,526
  I have had my S3 working with Cozoy Aegis and Astrapi natively, so its quite user-friendly. (I think it was ok with HA-2 as well?) Just my dac/amp (the Tralucent) is slightly problematic, I did have it working with Hiby (Galaxy S3) but it crashed after a few tests. USB Audio Player Pro would freeze and require a reset.

S4 however never missed a beat with the Tralucent DAC, not one crash (but I sold my Galaxy S4) 

Anyway, if other members think they have a good option of cheap smartphone fire away. 

Sony Xperia Z family. I have a Z2 myself and am very satisfied with it. Enormous battery,  SD Card. What more can you ask?

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #7,612 of 9,526

Galaxy S3 is looking the best option...for every dac/amp expect mine. 
tongue.gif

Thanks for trying mate! 

Get a Nexus phone, or anything with vanilla Android on it.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #7,613 of 9,526

S4 however never missed a beat with the Tralucent DAC, not one crash (but I sold my Galaxy S4) 

Anyway, if other members think they have a good option of cheap smartphone fire away. 

After thinking about your problem overnight I think the only solution is to buy another S4. Over your budget yes but only 33% and for that you get a new one. If you want to save more from HK only $220.00 with free postage. If I was in your situation I would be like, screw it, I'm gonna buy a new S4 and then I know it works.

You obviously know how good this Android USB DAC/AMP solution is so why not??

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #7,614 of 9,526
Kind of off-topic though I have come up with a solution for using my Tralucent DAC atm.

Because the dac/amp has optical in I'm able to feed it directly from my iBasso DX80 optical out which makes a great source for this application.

I think like oldmate said I'll keep my eye out for an S4. Sometimes you can find them with small problems like not reading sim cards or faulty headphone jacks at a decent price. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #7,616 of 9,526
I checked AliExpress and they are selling there for like $118-149usd all the time. Done.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #7,617 of 9,526
Just saw an S4 USED ON EBAY in very good condition for $89 buy it now. Add a memory card and your in!

Does anyone know if the S4 plays nicely with the Oppo HA-2?

I was leaning toward an LG G3, but the S4 seems to be a better deal since it was so popular and there are so many of them in the wild. And it's smaller.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #7,618 of 9,526
SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD at $79.99:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ
http://camelcamelcamel.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/product/B00V62XBQQ

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #7,619 of 9,526
Does anyone know of a micro sub OTG hub which allows me to not only power the USB DAC, but to also charge the phone?
I use a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS with my LG G3 and there is definitely an improvement in sound, but it drains the battery much quicker, the existing hubs only allow me to power the usb devices but do not charge the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back