Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 30, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #7,636 of 9,526
  just because the sdxc format supports it doesn't mean it will work with the phone. for example the s5 can take 128 but not 256

Even my old (very old) Sansa Clip+ can handle this 256 GB SD card (with the SD to microSD adapter) and this old device was built in a time with SDHC standard, which is up to 32 GB, but it works fine too with the 256 GB card, look funny since the card + adapter are the same size as the player itself.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #7,637 of 9,526
that does not necessarily mean anything
case in poin
t
I know the s4 could take 256gb

I also know the s5 COULD NOT, I can personally vouch for that
therefore age is irrelevant

what i'm asking is if anyone has actually hooked 512gb to an s4 via sd to microsd adapter,
not conjecture based on 256gb working, as that could be the s4's limit, . 

remember, the limits all depend on how the individual device indexes the info, other devices are not relevant, not even newer ones. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #7,638 of 9,526
Please explain in technial detail why the S4 can have limit above 256 GB? My Samsung S4, my Motorola Moto G 2014 and my Sony Z1 all can handle this 256 GB SD card. Confusing why a Samsung S5 should not work with 256 GB. Other example a Note 4 can easy handle 512 GB SD card: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/551961-512gb-microsd.html or http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/general/half-terabyte-phone-tank-phone-550gb-t2987826

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #7,639 of 9,526
I don't know the precise details, perhaps a different indexer, perhaps a firmware change is the cause. It's not as though they test for this unsupported stuff. could be a new hardware limitation. 
all i know is that my s4 worked with 256gb and when I upgraded to my s5 it didn't take it. it would conk out
first i used the same adapter and card. then I tried different ones, same problem, they work on the s4 but not the s5

which is why I'd like to know for sure that 512 works with the s4 before I spring for one and switch back  

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #7,640 of 9,526
That's sad to hear, did you tried to re-format the SD card with tools like http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm with different cluster size to test? On what ROM / version is your S5? I bought a cheap used S4 in the past, to use it as transport source for my USB dac/amp since the S4 has a still a really good custom ROM support and a lot of different 3rd party batteries (I use 7200 mAh Anker S4 battery).

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #7,643 of 9,526
Ok than I'm sorry no idea left in this case. In the next months (I want a price below 200 Euros) I will buy the 512 GB SD card to verfiy if it will work on my Samsung S4 and my iBasso DX50. Maybe a other user has already the 512 GB SD card, we will see.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #7,644 of 9,526
Oh believe me, I tried it all. this is most likely a hardware limitation

I don't believe it. My Galaxy S1 works with a Fat32 formatted 200gb card, heck even my N82 does. I would guess your card is faulty or fake, it's not the S5.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #7,645 of 9,526
The card is absolutely fine. I got it directly from the manufacturer. Clearly you don't know much about phones if you think being newer means better in every single area.

After more reasearch its been narrowed down to an exynos limitation
It might have worked with a snapdragon variant of the s5
So yeah...
Hardware limitation
Also we are talking about 2 different scenarios
One is a macro sd through an adaptor the other is a micro sd with a smaller capacity using a perpendicular architecture variant and a different index system.

Also its a different phone

not comparable.
So no the 200 working with an s1 is meaningless

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #7,646 of 9,526
Yeah, I know nothing. I was only the first person in the world to demonstrate a 64gb microSD card working with an S2 (when according to Samsung it only took up to 32gb) and I've tried more new highest capacity cards with more phones than virtually anyone else... Formatted Fat32 literally none of the phones (or tablets) have not worked with the cards, including nearly every Samsung flagship from the S1 onwards. Even the Exynos Note 4 of the same year works, it'd be beyond strange if the S5 is the only phone from almost any manufacturer in the 8 years that didn't work with them.

Oh, and for reference I have that adapter and a 256gb SD card, confirmed that with a number of devices also. I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't work with the S5, despite your experience.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7,647 of 9,526
None of which is relevant because none of them are the s5 which has several limiting factors not present in older phones

Each phone is different. One environmental trait may not be present in another.

I've been proffessionally developing for android for many years. Trust me when I say extrapolation or assumptions based on other devices regardless of chronology is a mistake when dealing with functionality that isn't even supposed to exist.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #7,648 of 9,526
Also we were discussing using a MACRO sd via sd to sd micro adapter. As in a full size sd card in a micro sd slot via adapter, macro and micro index differently sometimes

Big difference

If it was the card it woulf not have worked on the s4 either but it did. Also i tested numerous cards

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #7,649 of 9,526
Also we were discussing using a MACRO sd via sd to sd micro adapter. As in a full size sd card in a micro sd slot via adapter, macro and micro index differently sometimes

Big difference

If it was the card it woulf not have worked on the s4 either but it did. Also i tested numerous cards

I mentioned I have one of those ribbon adapters and a 256gb SD card - I have personally confirmed that card works with that adapter with the S4 (both variants), Note 3 and Note 4, so it works with every other Samsung flagship for the two year period around the S5, but not the S5?

(also, no need specify "macro", there is no such designation as a 'macro' SD card, full size cards are simply SD cards)

...anyway, the 512gb card *is confirmed* to work with the Note 4, so you may want to look at the Note 4?

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #7,650 of 9,526
Yes it does not work with the s5
Why is that so hard to believe
The other phones are irrelevant
It is a logical fallacy to assume that the other devices are comparable just because they were all similar to each other until now. There is no reason it cant change with a new advancement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back