Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5,311 of 9,526
Also, I have successfully used the network folder browsing in UAPP to wirelessly play files from a 1TB external hard drive via the Ravpower. (I have it playing right now, basically just as a victory lap after all the trouble I've gone to today to make everything work). Once you've downloaded the MobileFun app and connected to the Ravpower via wifi (see previous posts), plug in USB DAC, open UAPP, and set UAPP to play through the USB DAC. In UAPP, select the "Add Music" button (plus sign and music note), select "Network" from the options on the left, hit the green plus sign beside "Network Shares," and you get the four fields I've listed below. Here are the settings that worked for me:

1. Name: [the name you gave your Ravpower wifi network]
  2. Address (URL): smb://10.10.10.254
  3. User name: [the user name you set up on Ravpower, which is admin by default, I believe]
  4. Password: [the wifi password, which can rather confusingly be different than the password you set up to use the device]

This means that if you have albums sorted into folders (as I do), you can now direct UAPP to the folder you want to listen to and it plays the whole folder instead of one song at a time... this is HUGELY useful, and a terrific enhancement!!

Don't know if anyone cares about this, but I found it really great, and it's going to allow me to wirelessly supply multiple devices with access to a 1TB hard drive, so I'm pretty stoked about it :wink:.

Thanks!

I didn’t know the RAVPower Filehub can be used as:
http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd02-filehub-6000mah-power-bank.html

. a wireless (DLNA /) Samba-compliant NAS server:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5220#post_10808222
music files stored on a (2TB) USB HDD connected to a RAVPower RP-WD02 File hub via its USB port >> Wi-Fi link >> Android device using UAPP >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

. an external battery:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5280#post_10834766
Android device >> USB OTG-Y cable powered by a RAVPower RP-WD02 File hub >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,312 of 9,526
  Hey Theogenes, great to hear that you have successfully managed to get the Ravpower to serve attached music to UAPP over wi-fi, I may just venture down that same road myself now.  

Awesome! Let us know how it goes for you if you do! Also, there's a newer version of the FileHub out there now, so you might want to check that one out too and see which one you like better :wink:.

Thanks!

I didn’t know the RAVPower Filehub can be used as:
http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd02-filehub-6000mah-power-bank.html

. a wireless (DLNA /) Samba-compliant NAS server:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5220#post_10808222
music files stored on a (2TB) USB HDD connected to a RAVPower RP-WD02 File hub via its USB port >> Wi-Fi link >> Android device using UAPP >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

. an external battery:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5280#post_10834766
Android device >> USB OTG-Y cable powered by a RAVPower RP-WD02 File hub >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

No problem! I knew about the external battery thing (that's how it can power the hard drives, and the newer one has greater capacity, if memory serves), but I'm not sure I knew it was a Samba server either. Pretty handy though.

Also, just confirmed that the following works:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SCH-I925) w/ UAPP > Samsung USB Adapter > standard USB type A cable > USB type A to micro USB adapter > USB OTG mini-to-micro cable > iBasso D-Zero > HP Out = GOOD
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SCH-I925) w/ UAPP > Samsung USB Adapter > standard USB type A cable > USB type A to micro USB adapter > USB OTG mini-to-micro cable > Meier PCSTEP > HP Out = GOOD
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SCH-I925) no UAPP > Samsung USB Adapter > standard USB type A cable > USB type A to micro USB adapter > USB OTG mini-to-micro cable > iBasso D-Zero > HP Out = GOOD
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SCH-I925) no UAPP > Samsung USB Adapter > standard USB type A cable > USB type A to micro USB adapter > USB OTG mini-to-micro cable > Meier PCSTEP > HP Out = GOOD

I was surprised that this worked without UAPP, but it does, no problem. Also, since DanBa likes the pics (and since all the adapters and cables sounds more awful than it is), here's a visual aid:

Please ignore the poor photography, toes, etc. :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #5,314 of 9,526
It seems though that we won't be able to use RAVpower in both ways (as a power source and connect to HD) at the same time simply because it doesn't have enough usb ports. Or we ll need one more Y-cable....

Haven't tried, but you're right, there's only one powered USB connection. I kinda doubt it would have enough juice to sustain a hard drive and recharge something at the same time without running dead pretty quickly though, although I obviously don't know that for sure.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5,316 of 9,526
  Dan, do you have info on current/power output limits on the micro USB of different smartphones?

Good luck with that. I've never seen a smartphone OEM specs on that. At best you can find the official USB and OTG specs, that's not the same as a specific implementation.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,317 of 9,526
Do any of the USB diagnostic apps provide that info? Wouldn't mind knowing that myself...

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #5,318 of 9,526
Guys I have searched through this thread and cannot find an answer to my worry. I have an LG G3 (with latest Android KK build). I have an E07K purchased and on its way to my house. I have also purchased a USB OTG Y-Cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261396799419). Obviously, the USB female is used to plug into the E07K, the micro USB male plugs into the phone and the USB male is used to plug into a battery bank. My question is will the power used by the E07K be taken from ONLY the battery bank, or will it still pull power from the phone?

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #5,319 of 9,526
  Dan, do you have info on current/power output limits on the micro USB of different smartphones?

Current flagship smartphones, like Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 / S5, or other smartphones reportedly working with an ODAC or a FiiO E17, can output 500 mA; because the ODAC or the FiiO E17 requires drawing a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5250#post_10816688

And according to a Sony engineer, the smartphones should cut off power when the drawing current exceeds 500 mA and put up the message "The connected device requires too much power" in accordance with the USB 2.0 specification.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4215#post_10312409

The maximum of unit loads, i.e. MaxPower, required by a USB peripheral device, like a USB DAC, is documented in its Configuration Descriptor.

FiiO E18
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0110
bDeviceClass:         0x00
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x08 (8)
idVendor:           0x1852
idProduct:          0x50D2
bcdDevice:          0x0001
iManufacturer:        0x01
0x0409: "FiiO"
iProduct:             0x02
0x0409: "FiiO USB DAC-E18"
iSerialNumber:        0x00
bNumConfigurations:   0x01

Configuration Descriptor:
wTotalLength:       0x00C4
bNumInterfaces:       0x03
bConfigurationValue:  0x01
iConfiguration:       0x00
bmAttributes:         0x80 (Bus Powered )
MaxPower:             0x32 (100 mA)

The descriptors of a USB peripheral device can be get using the free Microsoft USBView:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5,320 of 9,526

Current flagship smartphones, like Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 / S5, or other smartphones reportedly working with an ODAC or a FiiO E17, can output 500 mA; because the ODAC or the FiiO E17 requires drawing a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5250#post_10816688

Thanks!  I have the S4 and at one time wanted to power the ODAC portably, and you covered those two devices.  Since the S4 lets the device draw what it needs(in the case of ODAC, .5A), an external supply is not required to provide more power since the device will provide what the DAC needs.  Useful for longer battery life though.z

What about the Geek Out devices?  the 1000 needs 1W.  

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,321 of 9,526
  Thanks!  I have the S4 and at one time wanted to power the ODAC portably, and you covered those two devices.  Since the S4 lets the device draw what it needs(in the case of ODAC, .5A), an external supply is not required to provide more power since the device will provide what the DAC needs.  Useful for longer battery life though.z

What about the Geek Out devices?  the 1000 needs 1W.  

The GO1000 does not need 1 watt, you are confusing it's maximum output power rating with it's consumption/input power requirement.

The GO1000 requires 500mA if I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure if the other lower output power Geek Out models might possibly draw less current than the 1000 does. I'd guess the 450 and 720 probably also need 500mA, but the low powered GO100 (IEM) version might draw less.

I'm also pretty sure thats just what the devices report themselves as needing in the initial USB handshake process, actual current draw during use will vary and can be lower depending on what volume you are attempting to produce.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5,322 of 9,526
LH Labs Geek Out 450
Device Descriptor:

bcdUSB:             0x0200
bDeviceClass:         0xEF
bDeviceSubClass:      0x02
bDeviceProtocol:      0x01
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
idVendor:           0x2522
idProduct:          0x0007
bcdDevice:          0x1002
iManufacturer:        0x01
0x0409: "LH Labs"
iProduct:             0x03
0x0409: "Geek Out HD Audio 1V0"
0x0409: "Geek Out HD Audio 1V0"
iSerialNumber:        0x00
bNumConfigurations:   0x02

Configuration Descriptor:
wTotalLength:       0x00E7
bNumInterfaces:       0x03
bConfigurationValue:  0x01
iConfiguration:       0x00
bmAttributes:         0x80 (Bus Powered )
MaxPower:             0xFA (500 mA)

The MaxPower of the Geek Out 1000 should also be 500 mA, i.e. max of unit loads from a port in USB 2.0.

As far as I know, the native USB audio feature of the S4 is currently the worst among the Samsung flagship smartphones.
By the way, I'm wondering why the Samsung flagship smartphones don't have the same native USB audio implementation.

USB Audio Player PRO "working audio devices":
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
LH Labs Geek Out 1000   ONLY using very specific Android devices. Try before you buy! Supports DSD.

I don't quite understand the warning "ONLY using very specific Android devices."
As far as I understand, using UAPP, every USB host-enabled smartphone able to provide 500 mA, like the S4, should work directly, i.e. not using a hub or a USB OTG-Y cable powered by an external battery, with the UAPP-compatible Geek Out 1000:
Galaxy Note3 with or without UAPP >> Geek Out 1000 USB DAC/amp >> headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4695#post_10542803

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #5,323 of 9,526

The GO1000 does not need 1 watt, you are confusing it's maximum output power rating with it's consumption/input power requirement.

The GO1000 requires 500mA if I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure if the other lower output power Geek Out models might possibly draw less current than the 1000 does. I'd guess the 450 and 720 probably also need 500mA, but the low powered GO100 (IEM) version might draw less.

I'm also pretty sure thats just what the devices report themselves as needing in the initial USB handshake process, actual current draw during use will vary and can be lower depending on what volume you are attempting to produce.

Yup, it depends on the load and USB 2.0 standard is .5A max and the draw depends on the power consumption of the usb device and the usage of the headphone load.  Just poor wording on my part.  I was just wondering what the max current output limit for 1000 would be, but likely it's the usb 2.0 limit of .5A 

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #5,324 of 9,526
How about Intel CPU Phones and USB audio out?

I'm looking into getting a midrange device with my next contract as I don't play games on my phone anymore and the Zenphones look really nice but how about the audio quality of Intel chipsets and the possibility of USB audio out?

Cheers,

MoWe

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5,325 of 9,526
  Guys I have searched through this thread and cannot find an answer to my worry. I have an LG G3 (with latest Android KK build). I have an E07K purchased and on its way to my house. I have also purchased a USB OTG Y-Cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261396799419). Obviously, the USB female is used to plug into the E07K, the micro USB male plugs into the phone and the USB male is used to plug into a battery bank. My question is will the power used by the E07K be taken from ONLY the battery bank, or will it still pull power from the phone?

If your OTG Y-cable retains the 5v line between the micro-USB and female USB ends, then your E07K may well draw power from the phone. If you connect the E07K to the battery bank and switch it on BEFORE connecting it to the phone, it might force the DAC to only draw power from the battery bank.
The only way to guarantee that your DAC doesn't draw power from your phone is to remove the 5V line between them. The simplest (but fiddly) way to do that is to stick a small piece of Kapton tape over the two power contacts inside the female USB connector. If you look inside the connector, you'll see 4 gold contacts - the 2 at either end carry the power, but be careful, the 2 pads in the middle carry the data and you don't want to accidentally cover those or you won't hear anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back