Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 349

post #5221 of 6514

Which music player app for Android would you recommend? I am especially interested if there is one that could play music from a wireless USB HD like that one:

 

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2343544/seagate-outs-2tb-wireless-hard-drive-with-support-for-android-ios-and-windows-8

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-wireless-mobile-media-streaming-device/

 

I am happily using LG Nexu5 phone + HRT music streamer II USB DAC + Stax mk2 earspeakers. Haven't found a good app yet...

post #5222 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinvalley View Post
 

Which music player app for Android would you recommend? I am especially interested if there is one that could play music from a wireless USB HD like that one:

 

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2343544/seagate-outs-2tb-wireless-hard-drive-with-support-for-android-ios-and-windows-8

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-wireless-mobile-media-streaming-device/

 

I am happily using LG Nexu5 phone + HRT music streamer II USB DAC + Stax mk2 earspeakers. Haven't found a good app yet...

 

I've been using GoneMAD music player. Has good folder navigation. I suppose BubbleUPnP would also work - I don't really use it for local playback but it works well as a DLNA Renderer. No reason to believe it won't work well for local stuff as well!

post #5223 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post

I've been using GoneMAD music player. Has good folder navigation. I suppose BubbleUPnP would also work - I don't really use it for local playback but it works well as a DLNA Renderer. No reason to believe it won't work well for local stuff as well!
Thanks! Does it support usb dac?
post #5224 of 6514
Stoner Acoustics are shipping the new UD120 DAC.
Is there a chance it will pair with the galaxy s4 without the need for UAPP?


Thanks


UD120 specs:
-TRUE ASYNC
-USB Audio Class (UAC) 2.0
-16/24/32 Bit @ 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/352.8/384 kHz
-DAC PCM5102A
-ULTRA LOW NOISE TPS7A4700 LDO
-OUTPUT IMPEDANCE AT 470OHM
-$ USD69
-ATTENUATION, -6dB/STEP
-WINDOWS (DRIVER PROVIDED) | MAC | UBUNTU
-*THIS DEVICE RUN HOT, MAKE SURE THE SURROUNDING AREA IS VENTILATED.

Android Devices tested to work:
-Galaxy Note 3
Edited by zolom - 8/17/14 at 10:07pm
post #5225 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinvalley View Post


Thanks! Does it support usb dac?

It supports whatever the phone supports. If the phone supports you DAC, all audio should automatically be routed through it, including the audio from whatever music player it is you're using. If your phone DOESN'T support your DAC, USB Audio Player Pro (= UAPP) could provide support for it - but only for files that UAPP plays, not for any app on your phone. It's too bad that its interface is so crude.

post #5226 of 6514

USB Audio Player Pro 1.3.0 has been released with network support, new media selection user interface and album art for folder/network playback!

 

post #5227 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

USB Audio Player Pro 1.3.0 has been released with network support, new media selection user interface and album art for folder/network playback!




Awesome, looking forward to trying it out!! The network sharing is HUGE IMO... Hopefully it can play folders!
post #5228 of 6514

I'm not sure if this will help anyone (I'm sure it's probably been stated somewhere in the thread as I don't keep up a whole lot with portable audio), but my HTC One M8 works perfectly when an OTG Cable and the Schiit Bifrost (USB Revision 2). I've only tried the stock media player but it works fine and sounds good enough. Maybe this post will help someone who is Googling about this specific setup.

post #5229 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimunogora View Post
 

I'm not sure if this will help anyone (I'm sure it's probably been stated somewhere in the thread as I don't keep up a whole lot with portable audio), but my HTC One M8 works perfectly when an OTG Cable and the Schiit Bifrost (USB Revision 2). I've only tried the stock media player but it works fine and sounds good enough. Maybe this post will help someone who is Googling about this specific setup.

 

The M8 is pretty darned impressive of its own right, for a cellphone. Good to know it plays well with DACs too!

post #5230 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post
 

 

Regarding the Galaxy S3, are there any portable dacs that can be used safely without requiring a hub/ y-cable/ juice pack? eg Hifimediy?

 

Any other S3 users care to comment? :normal_smile : 

 

Ibasso D-Zero works.

 

post #5231 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolom View Post

Stoner Acoustics are shipping the new UD120 DAC.

 

Looks nice.

 

According to Stoner, the peak power consumption of UD120 is around 700mW due to the high speed asynchronous USB receiver.  No idea how that compares to the Dragonfly, E17, E18 and others.

 

 

Quote:
 

Ibasso D-Zero works

 

Thanks. Looks like there are many possibilities for the Galaxy S3

post #5232 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
 

USB Audio Player Pro 1.3.0 has been released with network support, new media selection user interface and album art for folder/network playback!

 

Many thanks! I recieved this update, but didn't pay attention to the smb funcitonality. Now, a dummy question: how to try and play some music using samba? how do I set up a shared folder from which I could play files?

post #5233 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post

 

Thanks. Looks like there are many possibilities for the Galaxy S3

 

Anything that won't need anywhere close to the 5v USB power (that even some motherboards don't send out on all USB ports) and don't require special drivers (usually the case with anything over 16bit/44.1khz o 48khz) works with the S3. On my reference system, the Meier Cantate.2 only needs enough juice to power the LED for the USB input indicator (that's the one on the right - the manual comes with instructions on how to disconnect the LED if anyone wants to for any reason).

 

post #5234 of 6514

A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with compatible USB DAC:
stock Android device > digital USB audio out >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/ksoF0d

 

A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the native USB audio of Android L:
Android device running on Android L > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/x3loEQ

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3:
stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/yBKivk

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note2:
stock Galaxy Note2 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/Ga1jYw

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samung Galaxy S4:
stock Samsung Galaxy S4 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/dIwrqp

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note3:
stock Samsung Galaxy Note3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/7Bvkhz

 

A list of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samung Galaxy S5:
stock Samsung Galaxy S5 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/zUjud0

 

A list of USB OTG cables:

http://goo.gl/4JyOe5

 

USB DAC descriptors:
http://goo.gl/pYJbTu

 

FAQ:
http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

 

The basics:
http://goo.gl/MCFY2x

post #5235 of 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinvalley View Post
 

Many thanks! I recieved this update, but didn't pay attention to the smb funcitonality. Now, a dummy question: how to try and play some music using samba? how do I set up a shared folder from which I could play files?

 

Wow! It finally happened! Thank you, Extream team, for listening to our prayers! Network support - WOW!!! 

 

larkinvalley, regarding your question: this functionality is usually built into the media storage features. I.e. in order to enjoy UAPP's network support, you'll first need a network-capable storage. 

 

This can be anything from a network-attached computer/laptop to a NAS, or a wireless hard drive. Or even an advanced router that can mound attached USB storage as Samba shares.

 

Depending on what you use, the procedure will vary, but basically this is similar to sharing a forlder/drive in Windows.

 

It requires a Samba service to be up and running + some basic configurtion.

 

I use a Seagate Satellite wireless hard drive with custom firmware, where I can mount a Samba share using the web interface.

 

Hope it helps!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs