Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5,281 of 9,526

Can't see the pictured Y-cable on his website and, in any case, their cables are somewhat pricey.

You should contact Elijah Audio.
http://www.elijahaudio.com/contact.html

Do you know any cheaper ones anywhere and also what battery/ battery casing is that in the picture?  Thanks

Sorry, I don't know if there is another provider of such a USB OTG-Y cable (i.e. "Elijah Audio USB OTG-Y cable").

There are different types of USB OTG-Y cable:

. "Elijah Audio USB OTG-Y cable": no Voltage bus (Vbus) power line from Android device (i.e. USB host)

. USB OTG/ACA-Y cable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA/OTG software/hardware measuring the value of the ID resistance "R" of the USB interface.

According to the value of the ID resistance "R":

. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery or another external power supply.

". the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and supply power to the bus-powered USB DAC

. the Android device should act as a USB peripheral, interwork with a USB host, and draw power from an external power source

. the Android device should act as a standalone USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery."

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #5,282 of 9,526
  Today I bought a USB OTG cable and tried it on my Audinst HUD-mx1 (which supposedly does not work with DACs)

It worked amazingly with my LG Optimus G Pro

Excellent news that there's another option for the OGP!  The HUD-mx1 is now on my radar.  If you're looking for something more portable and don't use super sensitive IEMs, the HRT Microstreamer works marvelously as well. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #5,283 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally posted by BagelBadger
Hi guys, my current portable setup: HTC one (m7) paired with jds c5d, w4r iem. Sometimes I'd connect my c5d to my alienware laptop and I'd hear great improvement in the soundstage and music just sounds more engaging. Music is played via spotify premium, can anyone help me out to achieve similar sq as my computer setup? Thanks!

Perhaps you can try UAPP (trial version) on your phone and hear if it makes a difference.

Your post implies that the C5D doesn't work plug and play with the M7.  That surprises me.  Or are you just unsatisfied with the sound quality of the combo?

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #5,284 of 9,526

You should contact Elijah Audio.
http://www.elijahaudio.com/contact.html

Sorry, I don't know if there is another provider of such a USB OTG-Y cable (i.e. "Elijah Audio USB OTG-Y cable").

There are different types of USB OTG-Y cable:

. "Elijah Audio USB OTG-Y cable": no Voltage bus (Vbus) power line from Android device (i.e. USB host)

. USB OTG/ACA-Y cable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490

I am still, kind of confused, and need your guidance.
Which of the two configurations is most suitable for an Android Phone (in my list:. S4 or S5 or LG G3 or the future Note 4) and the Stoner Acoustics UD110V2 or the new UD120?  Is it the USB/OTG Y or the USB OTG/ACA-Y?

Thanks for your support

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #5,285 of 9,526
@indieman if you like the 7" form factor, get a Nexus 7 2013 and put the latest Cyanogenmod 11 on it. CM11 does USB Audio out System wide and it sounds very nice with my Fiio E07K and my V-Moda M100 played with Neutron.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #5,286 of 9,526
BTW, did anybody try the Wiko Highway? I looked at it the other day in a store and I feels really nice. I couldn't find anything about its sound or if it is possible to use an USB DAC with it.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #5,287 of 9,526
  BTW, did anybody try the Wiko Highway? I looked at it the other day in a store and I feels really nice. I couldn't find anything about its sound or if it is possible to use an USB DAC with it.

Wiko Highway only 16 Gb of memory WITHOUT extension (NO MicroSD card).  SO....not enough to store highres files :frowning2:

same for the Nexus 7 - 2013: NO expansion slot ...

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,290 of 9,526

I am still, kind of confused, and need your guidance.
Which of the two configurations is most suitable for an Android Phone (in my list:. S4 or S5 or LG G3 or the future Note 4) and the Stoner Acoustics UD110V2 or the new UD120?  Is it the USB/OTG Y or the USB OTG/ACA-Y?

Thanks for your support

It depends on your goals.

The "Elijah Audio" USB OTG-Y cable should enhance the sound quality thanks to the lack of the Voltage bus power line from the phone:
. clean 5V power from an external 5V battery
. reduction of EMI/RFI noises issued by the phone
. no cross contamination of the USB data lines by the USB Vbus power line
It also preserves the phone battery life.

The USB OTG/ACA-Y cable allows the Android device to interwork with a standard USB DAC while charging.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,291 of 9,526
Aug 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,294 of 9,526
  Hi guys,
Is there a way for me to connect my Audioquest dragonfly to my nexus 5? Most of the cables seem to be micro usb to mini usb.

Thanks in advance.

look for an otg usb cable, something like this: 

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B4GGW5Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back