An Ultrasone Comparison
Jan 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acix,
Here I am, your worst nightmare! I'm just kidding.
Ladies and gentlemen, Acix and I have an "agree to disagree" arrangement pertaining to one particular subject: The bass frequencies of the AKG K 701 as compared to those of the Ultrasone Pro 750. His opinion, as I understand it, is that the bass frequencies of the AKG K 701 are "just right" and the Ultrasone Pro 750's bass frequencies are slightly exaggerated. My opinion is that the AKG K701 has sllightly weak bass frequencies and the Pro 750's bass frequencies sound "right on". So, there you are.

LMAO!!! Peter, you're actually the golden angel of my dreams...wearing the 750s, of course...and in this dream you're sitting in the green bus on a blue chair and you're listening to Barbara Streisand in an acoustically controlled room.
regular_smile .gif
Man, one thing I know for sure is that this would be an awfully boring forum without your presence. After all, it's a place to have fun and share our knowledge and experiences.

My original post was meant as a comparison between Ultrasone models...my K702s have nothing to do with this review. But I have an idea, since you live in Southern California, you're probably not far from the Ultrasone Headquarters, and since you travel a lot, maybe you can go there and do your own comparison. I'm sure Ultra Paul will be happy to help and assist you. They are a great family there at Ultrasone. Then you'll have an opportunity to have a great time while gaining more empirical knowledge between the Ultrasone headphones.

I look forward to hearing your review!

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #17 of 78
Yes, come back with some proof why the Pro900 sounds better than the ED9, what went wrong, hahaha.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #18 of 78
how on earth can you proof something with audio lol

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Ultra Paul will be happy to help and assist you. They are a great family there at Ultrasone.

Although I am a big Ultrasone headphone fan, I am less than enamored with the "new" Ultrasone USA support network.

First of all, getting clarifying information on ad copy from Paul has been just about impossible. In fact, he has been shown to be downright wrong in the forums here, basically spewing out the same (incorrect) ad copy we all can read ourselves.

Secondly, I recently attempted to get information on ordering a set of replacement pads from Paul. Two days later he replied with an email address to forward my inquiry, which I did. Why he couldn't tell me himself, I don't know. What exactly does he do?

Anyway, two days after that I received a reply from Jeanice asking where I lived to "move the process forward". What process? I was just asking how to order a pair of replacement pads, and how much. The former American Ultrasone distributors website had a provision to do this easily. Why is it so difficult under this new distributorship? What does my address have to do with it? They already knew I was in the US.

Regardless of these questions, I replied as requested. Yet, three days after that I have yet to get any reply, nor answers.

Is this the new corporate face of Ultrasone? If this is where support is going nowadays, it may spell the deathknell for this brand in the US. I miss the old Nashville crew.

frown.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij
HF-780 is definetly not closer to the ED9, a recabled HF780 is though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij
I can't comment on the ED9 since I haven't heard it.

How would you know the former, if the latter is true?

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you know the former, if the latter is true?

This thread kinda gave it away:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ul...1/#post3852673

Multiple people that imo are trustworthy commented on te HFI780, the HFI780 Alo'd, and the ED9. That is about as much 'proof' as I need.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 78
Nice summary, thanks.

I definitely want to try a pair of Ultrasones, I read a lot about them here and they have intrigued me. Next time I see a Guitar Center, I'll have to stop by . . .

Based on what you said Acix, the best model for me would probably be the PL750 though I need to listen for myself. You wouldn't by any chance have listened to the Denon D2000s? If so, how is the bass of the Ultrasone PL750 in comparison?

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice summary, thanks.

I definitely want to try a pair of Ultrasones, I read a lot about them here and they have intrigued me. Next time I see a Guitar Center, I'll have to stop by . . .

Based on what you said Acix, the best model for me would probably be the PL750 though I need to listen for myself. You wouldn't by any chance have listened to the Denon D2000s? If so, how is the bass of the Ultrasone PL750 in comparison?

Hehe, Looks like you've already decided on a model.
In the bass department, all Ultrasone models are predators.
Sorry...No experience with Denon.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I am a big Ultrasone headphone fan, I am less than enamored with the "new" Ultrasone USA support network.
frown.gif

Hey Jpelg, Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know you are a big fan of Ultrasone. For customers and especially for huge fans like us, excellent customer service is incredibly important. But there is also the other side of the story and that is: they are salesmen, and this is important to remember. Apparently, because we spend so much time on the forum, we end up gaining more knowledge than they have. So these days, I'm relying more on the forum members than the salespeople for my information. Sad, but true.

I hope Paul reads this and understands that they need to start stepping up to the plate and stand behind their products and support their customers...especially their big fans.

I'm lucky to have had a nice experience with Paul and I'm grateful for that.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO!!! Peter, you're actually the golden angel of my dreams...wearing the 750s, of course...and in this dream you're sitting in the green bus on a blue chair and you're listening to Barbara Streisand in an acoustically controlled room.
regular_smile .gif
Man, one thing I know for sure is that this would be an awfully boring forum without your presence. After all, it's a place to have fun and share our knowledge and experiences.

My original post was meant as a comparison between Ultrasone models...my K702s have nothing to do with this review. But I have an idea, since you live in Southern California, you're probably not far from the Ultrasone Headquarters, and since you travel a lot, maybe you can go there and do your own comparison. I'm sure Ultra Paul will be happy to help and assist you. They are a great family there at Ultrasone. Then you'll have an opportunity to have a great time while gaining more empirical knowledge between the Ultrasone headphones.

I look forward to hearing your review!

Acix,
Just how long have you been having these detailed fantasies about me? A "Golden Angel" no less. And, what's more you saw me in your dreams sitting on a bus (green with blue chairs), listening to Barbra Streisand over the Pro 750.
Are you all right?
LOL!
And now, back to reality.
The reason I wrote what I did in my post was because it would give the other members reading this thread a perspective that some of them may not know. In your original post in this thread, you mentioned about the Pro 750, "if you listen to them without an amp and with music that doesn't have a strong bass, like classic, acoustic, and some rock they'll be just fine...the boost on the bass shouldn't bother you. It could work out. Now for music that has more emphasis on bass, like electronic music, they can be a bit heavy on the bass. If you consider yourself a basshead, they'll probably be your best choice."

This won't be news to you but it might be to some other members that I don't agree that the Pro 750 is bass heavy. And, as I mentioned in my previous post you are of the opinion that the bass frequencies of the Pro 750 are somewhat heavier than they should be and I think they are mostly accurate sounding and you also think that the K701's bass frequencies are mostly accurate and I think they are "weaker" than they should be. From this way of thinking on your part comes the idea that the Pro 750's bass frequencies would sound to "heavy" on "Electronic" and other what you might call "techno" types of music. And, I understand that you also think that the K701's bass frequencies sound accurate for this type of music. I disagree that the sound of the Pro 750's bass frequencies are too "heavy" for this type of music and I also disagree that the sound of the K701's bass frequencies are accurate for this type of music. IMO, the sound of the K701's bass frequencies for this type of music is "weaker" then it should be as is the case with some other types of music as well.
That is the reason I wrote what I did in my previous post. I wanted the other readers to be aware of what I have come to understand is your perspective in this matter and what your "standard" is for making this particular analysis.

I want to make it clear that I am not saying you are wrong or right. Your hearing perception is what it is and your opinion is based on that hearing perception. Apparently you and I do not have the same hearing perception, at least not in this regard.

One more thing: A bus that has an acoustically controlled room?!!!!!

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 78
if i tune the EQ in software to flat the Pro 750 can be fairly "lean" and not entirely satisfying bass in Hip-Hop / R&B where i expect alot of bass. But when i tune EQ around the 100Hz mark, and now they have alot of nice bass, never overpowering (i dont use an amp which probably give full bass definition)

if everything is flat. the Pro 750 should be more accurate? Exactly how the SE/Mixer wanted it to be.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i tune the EQ in software to flat the Pro 750 can be fairly "lean" and not entirely satisfying bass in Hip-Hop / R&B where i expect alot of bass. But when i tune EQ around the 100Hz mark, and now they have alot of nice bass, never overpowering (i dont use an amp which probably give full bass definition)

if everything is flat. the Pro 750 should be more accurate? Exactly how the SE/Mixer wanted it to be.

I can answer "yes" (with qualifications) to your question IF I change the word "be" to the word "sound" making your question, "If everything is flat, the Pro 750 should sound more accurate?" The next question is compared to what? This is a rather involved topic. And, I can't think of any topic on Head-Fi that is more opinion based than this one. IMO, of the headphones I've heard, the Pro 750 has the closest similarity to the sound produced by neutral monitor speakers in an acoustically controlled room. Not everyone agrees with this statement.

If you think the bass doesn't sound heavy enough on your "Hip-Hop" recordings, there are possible explanations for this none of which fault the Pro 750:

There could be something else wrong in your audio chain;

You and the original sound engineer do not agree on how "strong" the bass should be on these particular recordings;

Maybe you've been spending too much time in dance clubs, sitting on top of the big "sub-woofers" and that has affected (degraded) your hearing perception while at the same time reducing the body fat on the backs of your legs.
cool.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 78
Peter, i said when the EQ is tuned then the bass is perfect only for HipHop/Rap/R&B music.

I dont go out to dance clubs. Im just using my standard computer onboard HD audio card (which alot of people would be). But for music like Hip hop, there should definately be a bass presences first and foremost, but it doesnt grab my attention on Flat EQ and that annoys me alot, but when i tuned the EQ... it then have a presense, so it sounds good. Also dance club music sounds fantastic on the Pro 750 the bass is perfect even on Flat EQ. Just different musical genre.

Might have used the word "lean" bit incorrectly there... :p Just found it light/not the centre of attention, all i can hear are the vocals and treble, while the bass is a small unsatisfying thump. Which word can i use for that?

EDIT: weird it also largely depends on the recordings, some songs have no issues some do. Definately its NOT the headphone which i never said it was.. if anyone have problems with the bass, its the recording / setup.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter, i said when the EQ is tuned then the bass is perfect only for HipHop/Rap/R&B music.

I dont go out to dance clubs. Im just using my standard computer onboard HD audio card (which alot of people would be). But for music like Hip hop, there should definately be a bass presences first and foremost, but it doesnt grab my attention on Flat EQ and that annoys me alot, but when i tuned the EQ... it then have a presense, so it sounds good. Also dance club music sounds fantastic on the Pro 750 the bass is perfect even on Flat EQ. Just different musical genre.

Might have used the word "lean" bit incorrectly there... :p Just found it light/not the centre of attention, all i can hear are the vocals and treble, while the bass is a small unsatisfying thump. Which word can i use for that?

EDIT: weird it also largely depends on the recordings, some songs have no issues some do. Definately its NOT the headphone which i never said it was.. if anyone have problems with the bass, its the recording / setup.

I was actually joking about the dance clubs and your sitting on the "subwoofers". Actually, I have found that the Pro 750 sounds best with no EQing (flat response) when listening to commercial recordings. AFAI am able to discern, the Pro 750's give a mostly accurate sounding representation of what the producer and/or sound engineer wanted the listener to hear.

Where the Pro 750 is concerned, I agree with your statement in the "EDIT" part of your post.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #30 of 78
Also important to know is that alot of studio's use 'exciters', little plugins or hardware chains at the end to boost the treble and bass a little, to compensate for people's bad speakers/earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back