An Ultrasone Comparison
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Acix

Headphoneus Supremus
Members of the forum have asked me about the differences between the Ultrasone models, so I hope this post will help you decide which model would be most suitable to your needs.

My experience with Ultrasones began with the HFI 550, which were great headphones for me. Big punchy bass that emphasized but in a very fun way, best DJ cans that I've encountered yet. Then I decided that I wanted to upgrade my setup, so I went for the Pro 750. I checked the 750s several different times and when I compared them with the 650s, I decided to go with those for my musical needs. The PL650s have less bass and high end than the PL750s. To me, the sound is more balanced overall and more open, as if they have a bigger sound stage. Now here is the trick with the 750s, if you listen to them without an amp and with music that doesn't have a strong bass, like classic, acoustic, and some rock they'll be just fine...the boost on the bass shouldn't bother you. It could work out. Now for music that has more emphasis on bass, like electronic music, they can be a bit heavy on the bass. If you consider yourself a basshead, they'll probably be your best choice.

One possible flaw I encountered with the PL650s is that occasionally you can hear some hollowness, especially when they're new. But this disappears after 500 hours burn in time. The PL650s also have a cut on the low mid, so I would not recommend them for the studio. But for listening, they're a great experience, especially with electronic music or other music that is more bass drive oriented. Another problem I encountered is that after hours of use, my ears started to sweat due to the insulation. This can probably be solved with the Pro 900 pads, which are the best ones in the Pro series. The PL750s are a little more easy to drive 40 Ohm than the 75 Ohm of the PL650s.

Maybe here is the place to mention the HFI series, they're probably related to the "T-Rex" ED9. I consider the ED9 the best one from Ultrasone yet. Huge bass, big low mid and yet still somehow sounds balanced. It must be the magic of Ultrasone.They're audiophile headphones, for sure. So, the HFI are pretty much the same cans with different drivers, less expensive version of the ED9. They have a smaller sound stage than the Proline, which isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a matter of preference. I think Ultrasone headphones have a lot to offer. They sound really natural and they have the S-Logic, which works really well and gives the listener a super fun experience.

Regarding the Pro 900, they're more smooth and balanced especially in the high end than the 750. They have practically the same boost as the 750, the best pads and new connectors. They are the evolution of the 750. Members say that they're close to the ED9, or better, for some members, which is fine with me.

Each one of you who is interested in trying Ultrasone headphones needs to decide which would be the best model for your particular needs. Try them out at Guitar Center or any audio store that carries the line and compare them to see what fits you best. There's no problem to buy them second hand, as well. Either way, they need to be burned in for a very long time. In my experience, it's a minimum of 300 hours. They're very sturdy. They come with 2 sets of cables and 2 sets of pads, and if you want new pads, you can order them online directly from the Ultrasone store.

Now, I don't mean to offend anyone here...after all, we need to put all the cards on the table, right? Please understand, this is just my perspective, and I hope you have the opportunity to go out and create your own experience.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 78
Thanks for the overview. Every bit of information helps, at lest for me all these models seem very confusing and there's no store around here where I could try them.

Already bought me a HFI-780 based on the hype I was reading though and hoping i didn't make a mistake.. They are at s² audio for recabling atm and can't wait to try them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 78
Can´t you please bash the 900 a bit more so I can resist getting them
wink.gif
. A bit to late because either I have one enroute or I am getting conned or I will get another set used lol. I wonder why you need so long burn in time. Maybe you have better ears then me but after 200h I couldn´t detect any changes in my PROLINE 750s
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I used pink noise as well as regular music...

But is the HFI-780 closer to the edition 9 then the PRO 900? Isn´t it said that the PRO 900 is the T-Rex what now that means for the edition 9. Meaning it has the same drivers just built in Korea and have some cheaper materials?

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 78
I think the 900 gets plenty of bashing around here. HF-780 is definetly not closer to the ED9, a recabled HF780 is though. I'm gonna write a review on the ALO-780J vs modded Pro900 in the next couple of days. I can't comment on the ED9 since I haven't heard it. I do know however its miles away from being the holy grail under dynamic headphones, and 'being like the ED9' shouldn't be a headphones (or buyers) goal
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can´t you please bash the 900 a bit more so I can resist getting them
wink.gif
. A bit to late because either I have one enroute or I am getting conned or I will get another set used lol. I wonder why you need so long burn in time. Maybe you have better ears then me but after 200h I couldn´t detect any changes in my PROLINE 750s
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I used pink noise as well as regular music...

But is the HFI-780 closer to the edition 9 then the PRO 900? Isn´t it said that the PRO 900 is the T-Rex what now that means for the edition 9. Meaning it has the same drivers just built in Korea and have some cheaper materials?

The ED9 is the T-Rex .

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 78
ED9 T-Rex, Pro900 Giganotosaurus, SR-007 Spinosaurus? Ok this is getting ridiculous.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 78
im very happy with my choice of hfi 780s but have no interest in a recable as i think they are fine as they are (with the sorces i use),the build quality is exellent and they sound amazing (early spitting vocals went away) also as easily driven as px100s by a portable device . also very pleased with the £110 new i paid (they seem to be £150 now)

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 900 gets plenty of bashing around here. HF-780 is definetly not closer to the ED9, a recabled HF780 is though. I'm gonna write a review on the ALO-780J vs modded Pro900 in the next couple of days. I can't comment on the ED9 since I haven't heard it. I do know however its miles away from being the holy grail under dynamic headphones, and 'being like the ED9' shouldn't be a headphones (or buyers) goal
wink.gif

I have hard time finding those posts could you help me lol. Most seem to favour them over the 750s and some even over the ED9.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 78
Nice summary. It might be worth adding that some of the re-cablers also pad the cups a bit to reign in the bass on some models, such as the 780s.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have hard time finding those posts could you help me lol. Most seem to favour them over the 750s and some even over the ED9.

Just search for any post made by 'Big-ban' about the Pro900

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice summary. It might be worth adding that some of the re-cablers also pad the cups a bit to reign in the bass on some models, such as the 780s.

Good call. Maybe you can get more into the details and explain more about the padding the cups???

That was my impression after listening to the ED9.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 78
Acix,
Here I am, your worst nightmare! I'm just kidding.
Ladies and gentlemen, Acix and I have an "agree to disagree" arrangement pertaining to one particular subject: The bass frequencies of the AKG K 701 as compared to those of the Ultrasone Pro 750. His opinion, as I understand it, is that the bass frequencies of the AKG K 701 are "just right" and the Ultrasone Pro 750's bass frequencies are slightly exaggerated. My opinion is that the AKG K701 has sllightly weak bass frequencies and the Pro 750's bass frequencies sound "right on". So, there you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back