An 11 Years Late Review: Audio Technica W11R review vs Beyerdynamic T1 vs W11JPN/W2002/W1000 The Best of Audio Technica's Woodies
Feb 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #61 of 164
Quote:
So far last two months i only saw one L3000 is on sale in ebay. W11R is really rare people gonna sell it. Kuboten Auction has it but the condition of the wood is pretty bad. So i just give up. Now is W11JPN is on sale...

If only the wooden cups are worn, I think you should grab it. It's much better than the W11JPN on a well matching system, though the W11JPN is good out of almost any system.

After replacing my Woo's Sophia with my new EML 5U4G, it is fantastic. Very balanced sound, but mids remain detailed and crisp. The Sophia's were simply too bright. The EML sound similar but have far better low end response. It's also more detailed. With the EML I can enjoy pop/trance music just as much as I do with the W2002, so making it incredibly versatile.

Add my new DAC and the W11R then sounds very very spacious. Like an open headphone. With good binaural records, I feel like I'm wearing a spacious AKG open headphone. With common recordings, the spaciousness is on par with AD2000 sound stage. I'm even craving orchestral music with my W11R. There really isn't any genre that it can't do well in.

There's no strong weaknesses that's apparent to me except it's congestion. I will venture further into top tier open headphones and see what will captivate me.

But as far as closed headphones go, I think you can get the W11R and be done as I am. It's the best I've ever heard.

Quote:
I agree that the W1000 is picky when it comes to pairing it with the right source or amp. I had my pair of W1000 paired up with a Headamp GS-X and they still sounded too bright to my ears. It also didn't have the lush mids that I was looking for. When I had the W1000 paired with the Stealth, the sounded much better. They didn't sound as bright and the mids sounded fuller. My other woodies are a bit more forgiving when it come to match and amp or source with it.

IME, the W1000, W2002, and W11R are all very system picky. However, I think if you have a system that works well for one of these headphones, then you have a system that will work for all three. Tubes seem the safe choice since it seems that W1000 was voiced to the Yamamoto HA 02 tube amp. I've also read that Yamamoto made the cups for the W1000 too. I could be wrong however, but the similarities are uncanny.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #62 of 164
PS: I don't think the W11R are that picky about system actually. I actually really like them straight out my Anedio D1 with a bit of adjustments on my Foobar linear phase equalizer at around the 1K frequency region. I'm starting to even prefer it through it just my Anedio.

EDIT: I'm kind of having a revelation again
eek.gif
I really like it through just my Anedio!

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #64 of 164

Quote:
I've been really enjoying my W11R with my new Anedio D1 DAC. The W11R sounded very spacious before even on the lowly Ibasso D10, but now I feel the Anedio D1 has brought up into a completely different level. First of all, the soundstage. It has gotten so wide, that the W11R truly sounds like an open headphone. The only thing keeping the W11R from sounding open is the fact that there is isolation. It is very very spacious. On my W2002, it has gotten more spacious, but it definitely hasn't felt open. The resolution I get now is phenomenal. Cymbals have so much more accurate timbre. The music has become more dispersed and distant on the Anedio D1, but most of the impact is still there. It's just easier to listen to. Also, the Anedio powers these Audio Technicas very well. It's a nice all-in-one compact solution for low impedance headphone.

just ordered my apple mbp which will eventually become a music server, and am interested in more impressions of your new dac. what about other aspects of its sound signature-- is it analytical, warm, lush, neutral? does it emphasize any segments of the sound spectrum such as the highs, mids, or lows? if yes, in what manner? has it solved any of your issues with high frequencies?

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #65 of 164
Quote:
just ordered my apple mbp which will eventually become a music server, and am interested in more impressions of your new dac. what about other aspects of its sound signature-- is it analytical, warm, lush, neutral? does it emphasize any segments of the sound spectrum such as the highs, mids, or lows? if yes, in what manner? has it solved any of your issues with high frequencies?

I find the Anedio to be very neutral. Through the Anedio, I feel like I'm hearing my W11R the way it is naturally. The W11R has a relatively balanced sound with a bit of boost at 1K and 8K and listening through the Anedio I could adjust those areas and get a very balanced sound with a linear phase equalizer. I actually prefer the W11R the Anedio sometimes because I find it more spacious and resolving through just the Anedio.

I definitely won't describe the Anedio as musical, but that doesn't mean the bass is lacking. There's no added warmth that I can perceive on jazz tracks, but the extension is clear. I hear exactly as the music is produced and what I hear matched what appears on my spectrum analyzer. I don't hear a sub-bass warmth when there is only mid bass shown on the analyzer. With pop music like Lady Gaga's "Telephone" there is zero lack of bass. It's incredibly spacious sound on top of the very resolving sub bass really makes a club experience. XD The bass just feels more distant and dispersed through a space. The song "Orchestras. Spotlights. Turntables" by Epik High have insane amounts of sub-bass. I hear and feel all of it. As a basshead, I definitely fulfill my cravings from the Anedio without even needing the extra warmth provided from the Woo. So the bass sounds very accurate with the recording. I also hear the sub-bass clipping on low quality MP3s.

To get my basshead cravings satisfied through the W11R and the Anedio is saying alot. The W11R would in no way be considered a basshead headphone and the Anedio isn't warm. The bass doesn't run through the vocals. The accurate reproduction through the Anedio and the W11R is phenomenal. Sadly, the Youtube version doesn't do the recording justice. There is definitely clipping.

Screenshot of the input/output signals in this song. EQ adjustments can also be shown.

As for the highs, I can not notice any boost in it that the Ibasso D10 didn't show with my W11R. If anything, the highs have become more accurate and resolution has increased dramatically. Cymbals sound more distant than before, but everything sounds more distant too. I suppose this is what happens with a more accurate sound. If there was a boost in highs, I would certainly notice with the W11R as further boosts in the highs would make it sound unnatural. Cymbals would no doubt sound more metallic, but they simply sound more accurate. The highs are also not recessed as the W11R doesn't sound any less bright.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #67 of 164
Quote:
Does anyone here know where I can go online to get replacement earpads for my W10VTG?

Audio Cubes II sells them (look under headphone accessories). Note that the W11 pads will also fit the W10VTG nicely, and they can be had for the same price.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #69 of 164
I just got the Beyerdynamic T1 and I feel underwhelmed...

First impression is that the W11R is definitely warmer. I have read that the T1 has really great mids, but it sounds very dry in comparison. The T1 has very sharp treble...  Mids lack warmth and low end lacks punch...  It seems a tad more spacious, but it seems to be due to the treble emphasis and weaker bass...

I'll give it more time...

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #70 of 164
Ok,

I've been running my amp with a Brimar and EML 5U4G tube. 

I've had enough of the T1. I can't stand the treble boost. The W11R sounds almost just as resolving. It definitely extends just as far in the sub bass. Treble details are more clearly brought forward on the T1, but in an obviously extremely boosted way. However, the T1 seems to have slightly more resolution on the highest frequencies, though not much music sees much action that far up. The W11R already has excellent resolution in the high frequences.

Soundstage is almost the same except I prefer the W11R in that the vocals are upfront. The T1's more lax bass response makes it seem airier as I can get the same spacious sound by rolling down the W11R's lows to the same level with my Foobar's Voxengo linear equalizer. The vocals on the T1 are pushed back vs. the W11R, but the treble boost doesn't help. The treble just makes the vocals annoying and sibilant.

I'll be selling them back out. It's not that the Beyerdynamic T1 is bad. All the details I heard from the W11R can be heard on the T1 and I consider that a good thing. The T1 is certainly more resolving than the other woodies. However, in the case of the W11R, I didn't hear anything new that I've never heard before and the dry sound was not natural even with the aid of tubes.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #71 of 164
Thanks for the impressions of the W11R vs. the T1...my wallet would disagree, because now this means I'm going to have to try an AT woodie
biggrin.gif

While I haven't yet heard an AT woodie, I do have to agree with a lot of your impressions of the T1.  I also found the T1 to have a treble boost -- in fact, I thought its treble boost was even more fatiguing than the DT880 and HD800, although many would probably disagree...maybe it's just an effect of my individual HRTF.  I also thought that the DT880 presented bass a little bit more robustly than the T1 as well.

The way you describe the W11R as having more up-front vocals reminds me of the bass-light R10 -- if they are similar in that respect, then that is very high praise for the W11R indeed.  Somehow, the R10 has a large soundstage, about the same size as the T1, and yet vocals seem much closer and more intimate.  I'd be very impressed if the AT woodies can accomplish this as well.

Just out of curiosity, whenever a W11R does happen to come up for sale (which I gather is very infrequently), what kind of price does it typically go for?

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #72 of 164
No problem. What got me interested in the Sony R10 was all the reviews and impressions of the R10 made it seem like it would sound like my W11R but with orthodynamic/Stax resolution. I don't know whether that is exaggerated though. However, your impression of the R10 sounds exactly as I have experienced with the W11R. I will most likely compare the W11R and the R10 at the Bay Area head-fi meet.

Purchasing an W11R doesn't seem like a wallet breaker at all. They will probably sell probably under $700 (thanks to it's rather hidden status), making it seem like a total bargain over the R10 if the sound was certainly similar. Finding one is just going to be killer though. I searched several months and found nothing. CFabian sold his to me and it took him a year and a half of searching discontinued woodies to find one. Who knows? Like said before, maybe some more people will sell the W11Rs now because of this thread to see how much they can get for it. Surprisingly, a new Ebay auction popped up with one and only sold for $500.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #73 of 164
Has anyone else had both the W1000 and ATH-AD2000? Other than better vocals, is there anything else the W1000 does better than the ATH-AD2000? I imagine the W1000 might have more bass due to the closed design. The ATH-AD2000 fits OK on me, but the W1000 looks like it has a similar design as the AD700 and offers very little clamping force. I think if this is the case, the W1000 will be too big for my head. It's impossible for me to keep the AD700 on my head, so I imagine the W1000 is the same way.

The ATH-AD2000 sure is nice, but it's not very forgiving of badly mastered songs and at times it can be a bit "shouty" at times and tires out my ears. When I did a mod, it wasn't like this, so I may add in the mod again. Are the mids on the W1000 more forward than the AD2000? If so, I think I may pass.

These days, my HD-598 is on my head much more than my ATH-AD2000. AD2000 I prefer for gaming though. It just feels like a waste to keep a headphone I don't use as much. HD-598 isn't that much worse than the ATH-AD2000. The pads on the ATH-AD2000 are what ruin it for me. They go flat without a mod and the driver presses against my ear. Do the W1000 pads go flat?

Sorry to ask all this here, but I figure some of you might know. Right now the HD-598 and ATH-AD2000 are the best I've heard for vocals. Hopefully the W1000 will work for me. Tempted to try and trade away my ATH-AD2000 for a W1000, but it may be a mistake if they don't fit.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #74 of 164

Quote:
Has anyone else had both the W1000 and ATH-AD2000? Other than better vocals, is there anything else the W1000 does better than the ATH-AD2000? I imagine the W1000 might have more bass due to the closed design. The ATH-AD2000 fits OK on me, but the W1000 looks like it has a similar design as the AD700 and offers very little clamping force. I think if this is the case, the W1000 will be too big for my head. It's impossible for me to keep the AD700 on my head, so I imagine the W1000 is the same way.

The ATH-AD2000 sure is nice, but it's not very forgiving of badly mastered songs and at times it can be a bit "shouty" at times and tires out my ears. When I did a mod, it wasn't like this, so I may add in the mod again. Are the mids on the W1000 more forward than the AD2000? If so, I think I may pass.

These days, my HD-598 is on my head much more than my ATH-AD2000. AD2000 I prefer for gaming though. It just feels like a waste to keep a headphone I don't use as much. HD-598 isn't that much worse than the ATH-AD2000. The pads on the ATH-AD2000 are what ruin it for me. They go flat without a mod and the driver presses against my ear. Do the W1000 pads go flat?

Sorry to ask all this here, but I figure some of you might know. Right now the HD-598 and ATH-AD2000 are the best I've heard for vocals. Hopefully the W1000 will work for me. Tempted to try and trade away my ATH-AD2000 for a W1000, but it may be a mistake if they don't fit.

TDock, I don't think the W1000 will be for you. The mids on the W1000 are without a doubt more forward and there is less bass than the AD2000. The lowest sub bass frequencies on the W1000 are not reproduced well if at all. The W1000 is very shouty. Not as shouty as say the AKG K701 since it has more balanced mids, but still comparable. The pads are way more comfortable than the AD2000. I didn't like the AD2000 pads and the drivers touching either. The W1000 pads are leather, soft, and just stiff enough to be comfortable. For your situation, the W1000X is probably your best upgrade.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #75 of 164

Quote:

I have both.  In my system, the AD2000 is more transparent and neutral.  The W1000 is more cozy, vocals are just mesmerizing.

If you worry about the size, you probably check the W1000 beforehand.  It is a bit bigger and clamps harder than the W1000.

[]s
Walfredo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back