An 11 Years Late Review: Audio Technica W11R review vs Beyerdynamic T1 vs W11JPN/W2002/W1000 The Best of Audio Technica's Woodies
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #151 of 164
Seem i'm still looking the W11R seem no one selling it. hehe...i'm really thinking and suspicious about the sounding, anyway i'm still listening my stress relief headphone W2002 hehe..i guess this headphone is indeed good. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #152 of 164
Quote:
Seem i'm still looking the W11R seem no one selling it. hehe...i'm really thinking and suspicious about the sounding, anyway i'm still listening my stress relief headphone W2002 hehe..i guess this headphone is indeed good. 

The W2002 is awesome! I hella miss mine's. I'm REALLY digging these L3000 leather ear pads though.
jecklinsmile.gif
I looOooOove the feel of leather.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #154 of 164
wind, are you ready to compare the W3000ANV to the other woodies in your collection?
(i'm still digging that megathread, pg.24/145)

May 25, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #155 of 164
Today finally I have chance to listen W11R

Actually I think this headphone is sounds so damn good, I prefer the "R" than any other modern W-Series (well, perhaps except the W5000).

It sounds balance through high mid low, but with a bit more emphasis in midrange. I think the closest sounding from modern W-Series compare to W11R is the W5000.

W11R has little more spacious, fuller bodied sound, better bass impact, warmer midrange, little more forward presentation, both still sound as smooth as butter, no sibilance.

W5000 has more neutral presentation (still colored like any other Woodies though) with better imaging than the "R". The W5000 has weaker bass and overall presentation is more laidback and less warm. (No, it's not bright like W1000)

Hopefully next week I will have a chance to compare them to W2002 :D

May 28, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #156 of 164
So, today I've compare 2002 and 11R.

I simply prefer W11R indeed.

W2002 is a little bit reminds me of W3000ANV, it's not really melow sounding, with nice sparkle at high, but unfortunetly doesn't have nice punch bass like W3000 ANV.

Compare to W11R, I think W2002 is slightly brighter sounding, more laidback and less warm mid, weaker bass punch (and body). In W11R I can feel the singer emotion better, perhaps due the melower sounding and more intimate presentation. Also in a song with sibilance, the W11R sounds smoother to my ears.

W2002 has pros in term soundstage and tonality. W2002 has better imaging than W11R, also for some instument like saxophone or flute will sound more lifelike in W2002.

If I have to rank them, i think it will become like this:
1. W11R
2. W3000ANV
3. W2002

Now I really wonder how W11JPN will perform compare to them :D

May 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #157 of 164
Quote:
wind, are you ready to compare the W3000ANV to the other woodies in your collection?
(i'm still digging that megathread, pg.24/145)

Wow, sorry for the late reply, haha. I've been away from the forums for awhile. Been enjoying my Zana Deux SE and W3000ANV combo. I definitely feel the W3000ANV is the best of the bunch. They all have their advantages. I prefer W11R with rock, W2002 with pop, and W3000ANV as more of an all rounder.

Quote:
So, today I've compare 2002 and 11R.

I simply prefer W11R indeed.

W2002 is a little bit reminds me of W3000ANV, it's not really melow sounding, with nice sparkle at high, but unfortunetly doesn't have nice punch bass like W3000 ANV.

Compare to W11R, I think W2002 is slightly brighter sounding, more laidback and less warm mid, weaker bass punch (and body). In W11R I can feel the singer emotion better, perhaps due the melower sounding and more intimate presentation. Also in a song with sibilance, the W11R sounds smoother to my ears.

W2002 has pros in term soundstage and tonality. W2002 has better imaging than W11R, also for some instument like saxophone or flute will sound more lifelike in W2002.

If I have to rank them, i think it will become like this:
1. W11R
2. W3000ANV
3. W2002

Now I really wonder how W11JPN will perform compare to them :D

Wow! You finally got one! I've been thinking about getting another pair of W11R recently. I miss the W11R with rock. However, for me, I still have to prefer the W3000ANV, but the W2002, W11R, and W3000ANV are 3 of my favorite headphones of all time. The W3000ANV has a bit less congestion and graininess overall than the W11R from what I recall, which is why I sold the W11R and settled with the W3000ANV as my only headphone. 

I got the Zana Deux SE specifically for the W3000ANV and got a Brimar driver tube. What a great match! I wonder how it could have been with the W11R and W2002 on this amp. I may see those headphones again one day. However, for now, I'm kind of eyeing the HD800 and wondering about a new DAC. I may be more active in the hobby again, but there's really no reason for me to be. The W3000ANV + Zana is as perfect as it gets for me right now and I've been so anal about sound.

EDIT: I pretty much agree with your assessment of the headphones. The W2002 is definitely brighter, but something about it makes it so much fun for pop. I suspect it's due to the chamber design. You can't really hear the bass, but you feel it. It's weird. The W11R is so impactful with rock. The mids are so rich and clear with guitars and vocals.

Even with all that, I feel the W3000ANV has the fewest flaws. When paired with the Zana, it doesn't feel like there is weak bass or brightness as compared to me just plugging the W3000ANV straight into my Anedio DAC. I felt the W11R sounded just fine through my Anedio though, so I again I wonder how the W11R and W2002 could have sounded through a Zana.

May 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #158 of 164
Yes I agree with you, technically speaking, W3000 Any is the best among them. the ANV sounds clearer, with better detail but still being sweet just like any other ATH Woodies. Also W3000ANV definitely the most all rounder compare to any woodies ATH I ever tried. I like the ANV also, but, unfortunetly, the TH900 exsist in this world 
tongue.gif

Even that so, the "full-emotion-midrange" from W11R is still the one that appeal me the most.

Now I really wonder how W11JPN compare to them (I already can imagine its sound base on your review though), seems like I already love W11R and ESW11LTD, I think the "11's" sound signature is really suit me the most.

May 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #159 of 164
Quote:
Yes I agree with you, technically speaking, W3000 Any is the best among them. the ANV sounds clearer, with better detail but still being sweet just like any other ATH Woodies. Also W3000ANV definitely the most all rounder compare to any woodies ATH I ever tried. I like the ANV also, but, unfortunetly, the TH900 exsist in this world 
tongue.gif

Even that so, the "full-emotion-midrange" from W11R is still the one that appeal me the most.

Now I really wonder how W11JPN compare to them (I already can imagine its sound base on your review though), seems like I already love W11R and ESW11LTD, I think the "11's" sound signature is really suit me the most.

Interesting. Do you think the TH900 is better? How does it compare? 

I'm sure you'll be able to find a W11JPN eventually. I'm not sure how you managed to find a W11R! Did you buy it?

I have the ESW10JPN. I've been wondering about the new ESW11LTD. I'm not going to run out to buy another $700 portable, but does it sound like a better ESW9A?

May 29, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #160 of 164
For me it's easy to say that TH900 is the best close headphone that still on production. So, yes, the Fostex is better than the ANV. The TH900 has "far" bigger soundstage, cleaner sounding (currently the cleanest dynamic headphone), but still remain full bodied bass. Though you can't really get the sweetnes feeling from ATH. 

Nay, I don't have that 11R and 2002, it's my friend that bring them from japan to here. Not really in a very good condition though.

Oh i see, I think you more like the slight bright sound, wherea I prefer slight dark sound. The more I read your review the more I think ESW11 has similiarity to W11JPN. You can looks at ESW11's thread to find more info between ESW10 and 11.

For me, I think ESW9 has closer sound sig to ESW10 than the 11.

May 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #161 of 164
Quote:
I'm glad you liked it
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been awhile since I've had the W5000, but I honestly could not get a good fit with them. They were too big. The bass was lacking probably due to the fit and they just didn't impress me very much sonically. They may technically have faster drivers than some of the headphones I mentioned, but I didn't care for the sound character. I can't remember the specifics of what I didn't like though. But what I remember was that both my friends and I did not like the W5000 with my music as much as my other headphones at the time, such as the W1000.

Some tips on achieving better fit with W5000 I've learned on this board.
- 99% of folks would need to bend wire headband to make them tighter (some use rubber band stretched over wing supports)
- After positioning phones on the head, rotate them slightly forward so the earpads sort of "lock" on ears achieving the best seal (that tip was from bizkid who learned it from L3000 user manual)
- The earpads rotate on their own, spin them so the seam is aligned with the screw on the cup at 5'oclock (this is stock position)

I've also recently switched to L3000 earpads, the difference from stock is not day and night but they do help with the seal as well.

May 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #162 of 164
Quote:
For me it's easy to say that TH900 is the best close headphone that still on production. So, yes, the Fostex is better than the ANV. The TH900 has "far" bigger soundstage, cleaner sounding (currently the cleanest dynamic headphone), but still remain full bodied bass. Though you can't really get the sweetnes feeling from ATH. 

Nay, I don't have that 11R and 2002, it's my friend that bring them from japan to here. Not really in a very good condition though.

Oh i see, I think you more like the slight bright sound, wherea I prefer slight dark sound. The more I read your review the more I think ESW11 has similiarity to W11JPN. You can looks at ESW11's thread to find more info between ESW10 and 11.

For me, I think ESW9 has closer sound sig to ESW10 than the 11.

Interesting. If it sounds similar to the W11JPN, I think I'd prefer the ESW10JPN. But, the W11JPN and W11R do sound pretty similar. But I'm not sure I'd say I prefer a brighter sound, since I'm kind of a basshead as well. :)

Quote:
Some tips on achieving better fit with W5000 I've learned on this board.
- 99% of folks would need to bend wire headband to make them tighter (some use rubber band stretched over wing supports)
- After positioning phones on the head, rotate them slightly forward so the earpads sort of "lock" on ears achieving the best seal (that tip was from bizkid who learned it from L3000 user manual)
- The earpads rotate on their own, spin them so the seam is aligned with the screw on the cup at 5'oclock (this is stock position)

I've also recently switched to L3000 earpads, the difference from stock is not day and night but they do help with the seal as well.

I did bend the W5000s and way too much so. There was simply too much wire and I could not get them near a decent fit. Bending it any further would have probably damaged the headphones.

May 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #163 of 164

один из моих любимых наушников.

P. S.
I'm the last couple of years, slowly gathering his collection of wooden headphones AT. And in the end I have a nearly complete collection, except for L3000. As well as portable models ath-esw10jpn and ath-esw11ltd.
I believe that these headphones are worth to pay attention to them in spite of the age.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #164 of 164
I had 10jpn and liked them much - mostly for sweet women vocal and jazz. Sold them for feeding other projects.
Last year I've got my dream - W3000ANV. I was amazed how they perform sound of the genres. Definitely, it is worth to listen to!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back