Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 19, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #1,741 of 6,061
Quote:
Well...I do have the volume at 2 or 3 (1 is the lowest to have sound). I'm a pretty quiet listener though. I have no idea how high the volume can go, nor do I want to try.

Should be too much gain, nothing you can really do about it though. 

If the hiss really troubles you, just get a pair of -20db or -10db XLR attenuators to see how it goes.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,743 of 6,061
Quote:
Should be too much gain, nothing you can really do about it though. 

If the hiss really troubles you, just get a pair of -20db or -10db XLR attenuators to see how it goes.

Doesn't bother me much but I'd like to keep my options open in case I do want to fix it. Any certain brand or model of attenuators you would recommend?

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,744 of 6,061
Quote:
Doesn't bother me much but I'd like to keep my options open in case I do want to fix it. Any certain brand or model of attenuators you would recommend?

This is what I use (Rothwell).

Not like they're better or worse than other brands. Just a bunch of resistors afterall, the Rothwells are the most aesthetically pleasing so I pick them =p

The other extreme options for the gain problem include TVC between dac and amp; or solder some naked vishray resistors inside your amp 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,745 of 6,061
Quote:

Not like they're better or worse than other brands. Just a bunch of resistors afterall, the Rothwells are the most aesthetically pleasing so I pick them =p

The other extreme options for the gain problem include TVC between dac and amp; or solder some naked vishray resistors inside your amp 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,746 of 6,061
Quote:

Thanks!

For your ReplayGain question, I think that's really the only way to go around it since it is lossless. I think those attenuators + replaygain will provide what youre looking for. :)

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,747 of 6,061
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

For possible  future  reference, are you using these Rothwells in line with your headphone cable, or between your preamp or dac and your amplifier? I noticed on their website they offer an RCA version, but not sure it does what may be needed for this headphone hiss issue, if placed between source and amp as the site recommends.

thanks!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,748 of 6,061
Quote:
For possible  future  reference, are you using these Rothwells in line with your headphone cable, or between your preamp or dac and your amplifier? I noticed on their website they offer an RCA version, but not sure it does what may be needed for this headphone hiss issue, if placed between source and amp as the site recommends.

thanks!

I used it between the preamp and the power amp - on the input terminal of power amp.

For headphone amp and integrated amp, you'll still use it on the input terminal of headphone amp/integrated amp. The rca and the xlr version do the same thing, one for SE input and the other for balance input.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,749 of 6,061
@ ohhgourami

If you are using speaker output to HE-6, then I would try putting a 10 Ohm (10W) resistor in parallel on the speaker taps. This could lower the hiss (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and give you more room for volume adjustment. And it's cheap, easy and fully reversible
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,751 of 6,061
Quote:
Parallel won't lower hiss ,  only series but that opens up other issues.

Thanks for straightening this up ... too bad. It could have been a nice and easy solution.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,754 of 6,061
Quote:
I tried those RCA Rothwell in-line attenuators between my tube amp (Audio Research D70) and Oppo-95 player. They didn't work out for me. The sound took on a hardness. I returned them. But YMMV.

I used the XLR Rothwell attenuators between a Audio Research VT-70 tube amp and a RSA B-52. I heard no loss of sound quality and they worked well in my application. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back