Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #766 of 6,061
Yeah, the CAST connection, versus XLR, increased resolution but kept the same "musical" qualities. In some ways, the sound with ACSS had more ease to it making it more musical in a free flowing sense.

With the HE-6's, I would say that the Master 8 is definitely warmer than my DIY First Watt F3, which in turn is a bit more transparent but has piercing highs that left me quickly fatigued. I found the Master 8 to add more body to the highs compared to the F3 for a smoother and less fatiguing presentation. Both amps though have trouble taming sibilance on vocals, and vocals have a energetic quality that sound artificial/synthesized. The sibilance is less pronounced at lower volumes, but sometime I like listening loud.

After having had the privilege of hearing musicman59's TOTL Threshold amp system, I know the HE-6's are capable of lifelike and non-sibilant vocals while maintaining all its other wonderful qualities but IME the HE'6's are PITA to setup properly. I would have given up on them already if I hadn't heard them what they're capable of.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #768 of 6,061
Very helpful and very encouraging info !
Actually I was worried about the CAST connection probably could enhance the resolution and weaken the musical at the same time.
Because the treble of HE6 was a bit of bright ,and as far as I know the Master 7 is a very natural taste DAC, therefore the system maybe needs a AMP which not only could fully drive the HE6 but also could warm-up the Sounds
By the way , I had custom the Master 7 's CAST connections, I replaced the initial mini XLR into a pair of normal XLR and I will do the same to the Master 8 ,hope this way could enhance the sounds that I expecting for :rolleyes:

If you want to smooth HE6 treble EF6 is a very good choice. I find Master 6 to be extremely neutral and transparent but not harsh at all. Master 6 is technically better than the ef6 but not really designed for synergy with HE6 like the ef6 is. I have modified my HE6 to reduce the treble a couple of dB so i still get clear high frequencies but without fatigue. You could do the same with EQ i guess, but my favourite music software doesn't have EQ...

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #769 of 6,061
If you want to smooth HE6 treble EF6 is a very good choice. I find Master 6 to be extremely neutral and transparent but not harsh at all. Master 6 is technically better than the ef6 but not really designed for synergy with HE6 like the ef6 is. I have modified my HE6 to reduce the treble a couple of dB so i still get clear high frequencies but without fatigue. You could do the same with EQ i guess, but my favourite music software doesn't have EQ...

I am glad to hear that !

I have modified my HE6 by put three rubber ring into each side of the leather ear pads , I found this small change could enhance the body of imaging , the range of sound field both vertical & lateral way obviously and smooth HE6 treble at the same time.

Dont worry, they are perfect match and very comfortable :wink:

BTW I dont like EQ to color what I heard,my player doesn‘t have the function too(Jplay 4.3 and JEP2.4)

OK... to clearly what I am talking about....here are some photos for you guys, enjoy it :rolleyes:

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #771 of 6,061
I think the EF-6 was designed to complement the HE-6's and and work to its strengths and weaknesses whereas the Master-6 was just designed to be neutral to allow the inherent character of the HE6's to show through.
I have never considered the HE-6 bright even with underpowered amps. Even though I have all silver IC's I still replaced the HE6's lead with the Silver Poison to give it a brighter livelier sound. I love the Master-6 with the HE-6's and the silver poison has turned what was my 3rd favourite phone into probably my favourite.
Yes there can be sibilance but only when it's on the recording it certainly has nowhere to hide but it is not emphasized in any way and a recording with no sibilance simply has no sibilance.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #772 of 6,061
I have had the Burson Soloist amp in the house for several days, and I frankly can't hear ANY difference in bass quantity or quality between my Master-6 amp (7 Watt in 50 Ohm, balanced in- and output) and the Burson Soloist driving the HE-6. It really is not thin sounding even at loud levels - on the contrary. When listening to many a track (with matched levels) in a lot of different genres, the differences haven't dawned on me so far. If there are any differences, they are subtle. In terms of GAIN, the Soloist is limited compared to the Master-6, but this is only an issue with low level recordings and you want to turn up the volume to unhealthy levels on these tracks. I have no trouble believeing that Mike at Headphonia thinks that the Soloist is the best amp for the HE-6 that he has heard.

In other words, I have no hesitations recommending the Burson Soloist to someone who would like to add the HE-6 to their collection. If you only have the HE-6, then other choices may be interesting also, but the since the Soloist has three gain levels it is very versatile and just the thing someone with several headphones with different sensitivities could be looking for. I bought the Soloist to drive my LCD-2 and perhaps the HE-6 and UM Miracle. The latter is 16 Ohms and 114 dB and is too sensitive to have a useful dial on the volume.

Note: I have bought this amp for myself and have no financial or other interests in Burson Audio (or Headphonia). I simply want to balance the impression, that Skylab has stated.

Quote:
The Burson Soloist wasn't an ideal match for the HE-6, at all. I loved the Soloist with the LCD-3, but it will only deliver 108dB max with the HE-6, and that's not enough for unclipped peaks on large-scale classical music. Also, the Soloist is not at all warm sounding, and I thought the HE-6 sounded a bit bright and thin when used with it.
Again, loved the Soloist with the Audeze, and it might be wonderful with the HE-500, but it's not the amp for the HE-6.

Quote:
But wait!! Over at headfonia, they say its the "best" amp for the he 6. And it even surpasses the darkstar lol. Well I stop putting any stock in their reviews a long time ago. Sometimes they will even tell you to take this review with a grain of salt because the product is from a sponsor. At least their being honest about bias reviews(sometimes).

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #773 of 6,061
Quote:
I guess KINGWA got his own HE6 when he design Master 6 because there is not any other headphones needs so much power to handle it , am I right
wink.gif

I like the Audio GD with neutral and slightly warm headphones too. Yes, their prducts are generally very transparent (from the cheapest DACS/Amps al the way to their top tier models).
However, if one like me pairs them with a bright headphone, or one which is very colored (Pro 900 for instance), well...

Not for these (not really sure if there ever was an amp for something like this though...) but with all HIFImen, I am sure they are great 
gs1000.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #774 of 6,061
I am glad to hear that !
I have modified my HE6 by put three rubber ring into each side of the leather ear pad , I found this small change could enhance the body of imaging , the range of sound field both vertical & lateral way obviously and smooth HE6 treble at the same time.
Dont worry, they are perfect match and very comfortable :wink:

BTW I dont like EQ to color what I heard,my player doesn‘t have the function too(Jplay 4.3 and JEP2.4)
OK... to clearly what I am talking about....here are some photos for you guys, enjoy it :rolleyes:

I haven't tried JEP yet, I will have to try it out, I have been using JPlay 4.3 though (but i found 4.3a a bit lush). My mod to tame the treble was basically to add a second fabric screen from the hifiman ear-pads onto the audeze vegan pads I am using. The sound is slightly less naked so to speak but I cant live without the mods now.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #775 of 6,061
Hey man... you should really try this shot ...

My 30 years profesion HIFI ears (kidding :wink:)told me that compare with Jplay 4.3,JEP got remarkable edge in resolution , imaging and power balance

It doesn't emphasize any parts of the sonic but tell how the records should be and squeeze every tiny detail from it .

The density of sounds is incredible huge even you can feel there is a real man right there ...

When I tested it with the Master 7 and HE6 yesterday to listen the STAX head recording , when the guy walking behind and talking with me up of my head...

I can really feel his breath touched my hair...makes me very itchy and extremely want to give him a big uppercut....:mad:

To be honest I have never had the experience on my system like this before

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #776 of 6,061
For taming the highs, I've used sanitary covers to good effect. After a few years of 6 use, they aren't needed or I've gotten used to the treble. Of course the third possibility is my hi freq. hearing is getting worse and it's finally in my wheelhouse.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #777 of 6,061
For taming the highs, I've used sanitary covers to good effect. After a few years of 6 use, they aren't needed or I've gotten used to the treble. Of course the third possibility is my hi freq. hearing is getting worse and it's finally in my wheelhouse.

I am sure your hearing got no problem man, my he6 has been used over 2K hours, compare with new one it is warm and smooth but still a bright sounds signature headphone

I worry about the treble issue just because I am a Metal fans , so you will know what I am talking about if you are fans too :wink:

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #778 of 6,061
My 30 years profesion HIFI ears (kidding :wink:)told me that compare with Jplay 4.3,JEP got remarkable edge in resolution , imaging and power balance
It doesn't emphasize any parts of the sonic but tell how the records should be and squeeze every tiny detail from it .
The density of sounds is incredible huge even you can feel there is a real man right there ...
When I tested it with the Master 7 and HE6 yesterday to listen the STAX head recording , when the guy walking behind and talking with me up of my head...
I can really feel his breath touched my hair...makes me very itchy and extremely want to give him a big uppercut....:mad:

I agree 100% with what you say about JEP - very focussed, dense and detailed player - by contrast JPlay 4.3 sounds diffuse and lacking focus. Presence is better with JEP, but more than anything bass definition is WAAAY better on JEP - reminds me of Amarra on my MBP.

I'm kind of disappointed in JPlay 4.3, JPlay has such good features but unfortunately it is not tuned to my taste. JEP is the winner.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #779 of 6,061
Quote:

My 30 years profesion HIFI ears (kidding
wink.gif
)told me that compare with Jplay 4.3,JEP got remarkable edge in resolution , imaging and power balance

I can really feel his breath touched my hair...makes me very itchy and extremely want to give him a big uppercut....
mad.gif

I'd like to learn more about Jie Extreme Player - where can I read up and download the player? Also, will it perform on OS X? Thanks, BearMan!

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #780 of 6,061
Pick up my Audio-GD Reference 10 tomorrow, wish me luck chaps, hoping this will drive my HE-6 well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back