Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #647 of 6,061
I'm considering picking up a speaker amp that I can use to power an eventual bookshelf system, as well as an HE-6 from the speaker taps, should I decide to get one.  

I've been looking at an Emotiva XPA-2, which outputs 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms.  How much power would that provide to an HE-6 and would this be a recommended amp?  Appreciate the advice. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #648 of 6,061
Quote:
I'm considering picking up a speaker amp that I can use to power an eventual bookshelf system, as well as an HE-6 from the speaker taps, should I decide to get one.  

I've been looking at an Emotiva XPA-2, which outputs 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms.  How much power would that provide to an HE-6 and would this be a recommended amp?  Appreciate the advice. 

I have the nerve.   Too much 
blink.gif
  Look at the miniX.

I'm in search for a good solid Class A amp.  Pure Class A amps are usually lower powered amps.  

First Watt
Threshold
B24 - Class A edition

Also what has been very interesting to me is the Emotiva XPA1-L - They are producing the first 30 watts in Class A  where as their other amps are only the first 1 or 2 watts in class a then goes to class AB.  Is there a difference in SQ? - I don't no.  Probably not.  

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #649 of 6,061
question here, trying out the mini X a-100 to run my he-6's just wondering do I need a  DAC or would a good sound card work just as well. Keep in mind I am a noob so don't beat me up to bad..  

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #651 of 6,061
I've mentioned this one before, but the Nuforce Icon Amp does a fine job powering the HE-6. It's a great option for those with limited space, since the amp is smaller than a typical hardcover book. I have the Icon2 myself, and I imagine the Dia has the same amp architecture as well.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #653 of 6,061
Hm. Aren't they the same thing?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #654 of 6,061
"Look at the miniX."---+1 on that

"Also what has been very interesting to me is the Emotiva XPA1-L"

Is this an amp,you'd use for the He-6's?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #656 of 6,061
How about something like the NAD C320BEE?  Successor to the original 1979 3020, 50W x 2 and there's one on Audiogon for only $225.  That's even substantially below my budget.  Anyone have any experience with HE-6 and NAD amps similar to this?

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #657 of 6,061
Quote:

I have the nerve.   Too much 
blink.gif
  Look at the miniX.

I'm in search for a good solid Class A amp.  Pure Class A amps are usually lower powered amps.  

First Watt
Threshold
B24 - Class A edition

Also what has been very interesting to me is the Emotiva XPA1-L - They are producing the first 30 watts in Class A  where as their other amps are only the first 1 or 2 watts in class a then goes to class AB.  Is there a difference in SQ? - I don't no.  Probably not.  

I'm still more than a little skeptical of the hooplah over "class A!" as anything other than a marketing footnote and expectation bias from audiophiles.  I've heard great sounding class A amps, I've heard great sounding A/B amps, and I've heard amps of either variety that trounce other amps of the opposite variety.  I think it's mostly much ado about nothing.  Two equal means to get to the same goal.

Even on-paper there's not much reason to believe class A should do anything better than class A/B other than perform as a superior space heater unless the A/B design is just poorly implemented.  A good sounding amp is a good sounding amp regardless of the topology!
wink.gif
  It may be that one engineer or another designs better work with one topology or the other, but that's not inherent to the the topology.

What I do know is the sound of the box fan placed in front of the class A amps kind of ruins the black background and has a higher noise floor compared to a good A/B
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #658 of 6,061
Quote:

I'm still more than a little skeptical of the hooplah over "class A!" as anything other than a marketing footnote and expectation bias from audiophiles.  I've heard great sounding class A amps, I've heard great sounding A/B amps, and I've heard amps of either variety that trounce other amps of the opposite variety.  I think it's mostly much ado about nothing.  Two equal means to get to the same goal.

QFT!

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #659 of 6,061
there are weak Class AB implementations out there, the OPA541 datasheet distortion vs power graphs have clear evidence of crossover/increasing distortion at lower output level - Class A simply doesn't have this problem

Class A simplifies power layout, virtually eliminates concern over "gnd contamination" by load current because all of the currents are linear replicas of the audio signal and any coupling error is just an inaudible very small gain error or linear crosstalk term

with Class AB you really need more care with power, gnd routing, star/hierarchical wiring to eliminate coupling/contamination from the "half wave" currents flowing in the outputs in the Class B operating region

the layout, power, gnd routing can be dealt with but does require more expertise, attention in a Class AB design

the only thing you can do with a Class B output that shows crossover distortion is to change the bias - with a chip like the OPA541 this would require external current injected into the output, biasing it more deeply Class AB

there are Class AB circuit that don't show any evidence of crossover distortion at audio so it can be done - but the power routing still has to be done well - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf

even with Orthos wanting 2-5 W Class A desktop amps aren't particularly bulky or too expensive to power, no fans required - its not like you need: http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=4&id=35 for headphones

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #660 of 6,061

[COLOR=800080]QFT![/COLOR]

I think the current needs to be clean and fast and that's a function of the power supply. The reason higher wattage amps sound better is more reserve current. That's not to say you need a class A amp unless you want to use a low wattage amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back