Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #661 of 6,061
My objection is simply to what seems to be the creeping sentiment that Class A is some sort of panacea, which it isn't.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #662 of 6,061
I've only heard the F1 for a few minutes but I didn't notice anything unusual in it's sound that we don't hear on the A/B amps. But some comparisons would be nice. I'm being told a MacIntosh will be a treat the next time in town. I know Wuwhere is well satisfied with his tube amps.

Calling Dr. Roberts- any thoughts on your BAT tube amp?

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #664 of 6,061
Asked this question a few days ago but didn't get a response. Trying again. What do people think of NAD 3030 derivative amps (newer model being C356BEE for example) + the HE-6?

I'm not sure how to do the ohm calculation myself, but from what I'm reading here it says the C356BEE puts out 80W x 2, into either 4 or 8 ohms. (Interestingly rated the same across either 4 or 8) How many W is that into the H-6? Has anyone had the experience of hearing the HE-6 from either the original 3030 from 1979 or its progeny? Thanks!

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #665 of 6,061
Asked this question a few days ago but didn't get a response. Trying again. What do people think of NAD 3030 derivative amps (newer model being C356BEE for example) + the HE-6?
I'm not sure how to do the ohm calculation myself, but from what I'm reading here it says the C356BEE puts out 80W x 2, into either 4 or 8 ohms. (Interestingly rated the same across either 4 or 8) How many W is that into the H-6? Has anyone had the experience of hearing the HE-6 from either the original 3030 from 1979 or its progeny? Thanks!

As I recall, there were a few using a NAD but not sure of model. Rule of thumb is you half the wattage for doubling the impedance. Type in NAD in the search function of the HE threads and see what comes up. I would think it would be good as NAD has pretty solid amps. I'd say the power is plenty.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #666 of 6,061
Oh dear. Just got my HE-6 and I don't have anything (even remotely) up to the task of driving it.

Are there any USB DAC/amps that can power the HE-6 well? Would like a single solution if possible, no particular budget limitation. Anything like that out there?

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #667 of 6,061
Quote:
Oh dear. Just got my HE-6 and I don't have anything (even remotely) up to the task of driving it.

Are there any USB DAC/amps that can power the HE-6 well? Would like a single solution if possible, no particular budget limitation. Anything like that out there?

Well, maybe a Peachtree Decco driving the HE-6 via the speaker outputs?  It has 50 watts of power which into 50 ohm headphones would be closer to 8 watts, and has USB/Optical/Coax inputs.  I've only heard one driving some Moth Audio Cicada speakers, and it was pretty decent.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #668 of 6,061
Quote:

Some of the older 2 channel receivers may be a good idea.

I have a 5 channel Denon AVR 2310Ci that I don't use anymore.  I haven't tried it with the 6s yet.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #669 of 6,061
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

As I keep looking I realise I am actually OK with separate DAC and amp, but ideally two that are easily integrated - the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir being an example of something like that. I see a few mentions of them here in relation to the HE-6, but haven't yet come across any really indepth reviews (it looks like it meets the power requirements into 50ohms though). Anyone able to weigh in on those and the HE-6, or alternatives?

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #670 of 6,061
I use the mojo/gung with the HE-6, and the results are good. It's better than many speaker amps using the taps from my extensive comparisons.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #672 of 6,061
The Mojo drives it well. However, I wouldn't go out buying one for the HE-6. You'd be better off extracting more value overall
out of a speaker amp.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #673 of 6,061
Just got one of those because it was cheap and few people mentioned using T-amps with great success: Topping TP60

2x50W (in 8Ohms) of clean power and that's sounds VERY good. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back