Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
May 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #481 of 6,061
^^No, the HeadRoom protocol is one measurement. Going to five and spatially averaging is one of the things I changed when starting Innerfidelity's methods.  Also switched to 30Hz and 300Hz from 50Hz and 500Hz, and added the impulse response measurement.

May 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #482 of 6,061
Quote:
^^No, the HeadRoom protocol is one measurement. Going to five and spatially averaging is one of the things I changed when starting Innerfidelity's methods.  Also switched to 30Hz and 300Hz from 50Hz and 500Hz, and added the impulse response measurement.

Fantastique! Now I'm motivated to send in my Balanced D7000's for new numbers. 
biggrin.gif
 Hats off to you for the great pioneering work you do in this community.
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #483 of 6,061
Emotiva started their summer sale today!  The mini-X a-100 is now $175.20 (normally $219), which may be the lowest it's ever been.  The Christmas sale had it at $199.  Free shipping, no sales tax outside of TN, and 5-year warranty, so it seems like a great deal.  I spoke with Emotiva and they confirmed that the fan only turns on when the amp is under heavy load, and the fan's designed to be quiet.  I ran across a few mini-X reviews on other forums, and most people said the fan has never come on during use.  Disconnecting the fan voids the warranty.

I'm probably going to pick one up next week to use with the HE-6.  Given the power output of the amp (50 watts/ch), is it safe to connect the HE-6 directly to the amp's speaker taps?  I read that we should disconnect the HE-6 before powering an amp on, to avoid the power-on pop, and then connect the cord once the amp's on.

http://shop.emotiva.com/products/a100
Power output: 50 watts/channel into 8 ohms; 80 watts/channel into 4 ohms

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #484 of 6,061
50 wpc is under the threshold, as stated by HiFiMAN, of when you need resistors or their HE-adapter. That threshold has been stated at different times as being from 70 to 90 wpc into 8 ohms. Also no need to disconnect, just turn the volume all the way down IME. This only applies to SS amps, for OTL tube amps you want the resistors in place no matter what to protect the amp.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #485 of 6,061
Quote:

I'm probably going to pick one up next week to use with the HE-6.  Given the power output of the amp (50 watts/ch), is it safe to connect the HE-6 directly to the amp's speaker taps?  I read that we should disconnect the HE-6 before powering an amp on, to avoid the power-on pop, and then connect the cord once the amp's on.

http://shop.emotiva.com/products/a100
Power output: 50 watts/channel into 8 ohms; 80 watts/channel into 4 ohms

50w into 8 ohms doesn't require resistors or an HE-Adapter.  You can drive the phones directly with the speaker taps.  Anything up to 70w into 8 ohms is safe according to Fang, but I know at least one person who's driven them off a 500w amp without any resistors or adapters.  Just have to be careful with the volume.

I don't mess with plugging/unplugging headphones when powering on and off.  I just make sure the volume's at zero when I'm powering up/down.

Also, that's a hell of a deal on the Emotiva.  Does it say 'til when the summer sale is running?

Edit: Grokit beat me to it.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #486 of 6,061
Awesome.  Thanks for the confirmation and tips.  Seems like it'll be safe to just keep the volume pot turned down all the way, and I'll be going with solid-state for the HE-6.  Read too many negative comments on the HE-adapter negatively affecting the sound, so would prefer to go directly to speaker taps.

Given the power output, is it unsafe to connect any non-ortho/K1000 headphone to the mini-X's line out?

Anyone else planning on trying the mini-X out?

sridhar: The sale lasts until July 16th, or when supplies run out.  Seems like a great time to pick up some good gear.  I've read that Emotiva has a pretty attractive price-performance ratio for hi-fi gear, and it's nice to buy new.
http://emotiva.com/news/index.php/2012/06/15/summer-sale/

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #487 of 6,061
Quote:

That price is really sweet.  I just bought another Yamaha, though - so no more new gear for a while.  The Yamaha RX-797 was only $110 though on Craigslist.  My main mission was to buy it for another amp to use speaker taps on.  However, ironically, I tried the headphone jack and the output stage is surprisingly good.  In fact, it has to be about the best one that I've heard on a receiver in the past 10 or so years.  So, needless to say, while I do have all of the supplies to make about 3 sets of speaker taps and headphone cables, I'm dragging my heels a bit.

Also, another member has asked me for some input into the design of speaker taps.  I've promised to proceed with the proper diagram and just finished installing Visio on my computer this evening.  I hope to get it done soon and post it for all to use.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #490 of 6,061
Quote:
Awesome.  Thanks for the confirmation and tips.  Seems like it'll be safe to just keep the volume pot turned down all the way, and I'll be going with solid-state for the HE-6.  Read too many negative comments on the HE-adapter negatively affecting the sound, so would prefer to go directly to speaker taps.

Given the power output, is it unsafe to connect any non-ortho/K1000 headphone to the mini-X's line out?

sridhar: The sale lasts until July 16th, or when supplies run out.  Seems like a great time to pick up some good gear.  I've read that Emotiva has a pretty attractive price-performance ratio for hi-fi gear, and it's nice to buy new.
http://emotiva.com/news/index.php/2012/06/15/summer-sale/

For a speaker tap, do you mean something like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-HeadTap-2-Output-Headphone-Tap-Passive-Split-PROAUDIOSTAR-/290615259863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aa04f2d7  ?

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #491 of 6,061
I actually have that HeadTap but haven't had a chance to try it with any gear with it.

A friend and I just bought some quad mic cable and 4-pin Neutrik XLRs and made our own 4-pin XLR to speaker tap cables.  Works beautifully.  I decided not to get the Emotiva, and bought a First Watt J2 instead.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #492 of 6,061
Quote:
Did anyone jump on the emotiva sale?

I read the posts about the Emotiva and thought, well, I have the Emo DAC so why not ask them about this amp for the HE-6s? I e-mailed them and was bummed by the reply:

[size=11pt]Hello,[/size]

[size=11pt]Thank you for your interest in Emotiva. The mini-x amplifier will not be capable of driving a high impedance load that the HE-6 are nominally rated at. Schiit audio makes some incredibly headphone amplifiers in the Lyr would be perfectly suited for your headphones. Here is the direct link for the product: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3. I hope that this helps. If you have any further questions please let us know. Thank you for your kind consideration.[/size]

[size=11pt]Nick Kaumeyer[/size]
[size=11pt]Sales Representative[/size]
[size=11pt]Emotiva Audio Corporation[/size]

[size=11pt]Interesting that they sent me off to Schitt... and I did tell him I'd pass on his reply.[/size]

elwappo99, I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'd really like a set of these headphones but upgrading amps simultaneously is too much $$$ right now!

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #493 of 6,061
i dont know why emotiva keeps saying that. higher impedance loads are considerably easier to drive, and as long as the amp has the necessary voltage gain, which almost any speaker amp will, i dont see how it would be a problem. it even has a built in volume control. im interested to see what elwappo99 has to say about the sound

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #494 of 6,061
Quote:

I read the posts about the Emotiva and thought, well, I have the Emo DAC so why not ask them about this amp for the HE-6s? I e-mailed them and was bummed by the reply:

[size=11pt]Hello,[/size]

[size=11pt]Thank you for your interest in Emotiva. The mini-x amplifier will not be capable of driving a high impedance load that the HE-6 are nominally rated at. Schiit audio makes some incredibly headphone amplifiers in the Lyr would be perfectly suited for your headphones. Here is the direct link for the product: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3. I hope that this helps. If you have any further questions please let us know. Thank you for your kind consideration.[/size]

[size=11pt]Nick Kaumeyer[/size]
[size=11pt]Sales Representative[/size]
[size=11pt]Emotiva Audio Corporation[/size]

[size=11pt]Interesting that they sent me off to Schitt... and I did tell him I'd pass on his reply.[/size]

elwappo99, I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'd really like a set of these headphones but upgrading amps simultaneously is too much $$$ right now!

Hrmm, interesting. I think they're going straight from the numbers. They're used to speakers with much lower impedance than the 50ohms, so I think he's just speaking from their experience with the speakers. It's set to arrive Thursday or Friday. I'll be busy this weekend, but I'll be sure to give it a quick demo friday night, and try to update you all on it then. Early next week I'll be able to put it into my main rig and give it a formal run.

Also 
tongue_smile.gif
 to all you people that were just waiting for someone else to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back