Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #5,611 of 6,061
Yes! Both versions of WA5 work well with HE-6. The newer WA5LE is slightly less warm than the original. The newer Woo also seems to be slightly less tube dependent. Other than the first watt (ss based) this is the best pairing I’ve found with tubes, as well as the easiest to setup, so long as you can afford the amp. other advantage is it works with a ton of headphones, as well as speakers if you get the full wa5

First Watt J2 is a good pairing with HE-6. I have not tried the other amps in their lineup but would stick with the ones that deliver over 20Wpc such as the J2 (25wpc). You need a speaker adapter and preamp for the first watt as well, it adds to the cost but doubles as a speaker setup and its nice if you want endgame SS sound.

hd 800 and wa5 is a lovely pairing too that is top level, only bettered by a few specialized amps like the Apex Teton (5k and mainly for hd 800 / high imp).
I was very surpised how well WA5 drives planars. Tubes generally struggle with high current, but certainly not the WA5.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,612 of 6,061
I plan on hooking up the he-6se v2 to the binding posts on my parasound 275 amp, lots of people using the zamp - so I thought this should be at least as good. Anything I should be aware of with this pairing - should work well right? I'm using a burson conductor 3R now - which has enough power, curious how different the amp will sound.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #5,613 of 6,061
I find myself having jumped into some great headphones and amps but without a ton of experience. I have a Ragnarok 2 driving a pair of LS50 Meta and a HE6SE V2. The HE6 sounds pretty spectacular. I thought it was light on the low end compared to the HD6XX I'd been listening to, but I spent some time today with ELP's Brain Salad Surgery and the HE6SE V2 definitely rumbles through some of those tracks. I've been bouncing between the different gain settings, not sure if I have a clear preference.

Question is for others who've lived with the Rag 2 and and something in the HE6 family who've moved on... what do other amps do differently than the Rag 2? What would you consider to be an improvement over the Rag 2?

I'm also considering trying some different pads to see if I can get the low end a little boost. I'd prefer not to EQ, I switch back and forth between digital and analog inputs quite a bit and I'd rather the sounds be consistent.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,614 of 6,061
Anyone used the HE6SE with an Questyle CMA 600i or Twelve Master? I have orderd a HE6SE (V1 with more clamp force) and I am wondering if the 600i/12 Master will be enough to power these respectably?

I will be getting a Flux Labs FC-10 sometimes in the future but would like to use it with the Questyle units first.

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #5,615 of 6,061
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #5,616 of 6,061
For anyone interested, you can buy a 5ft. speaker tap cables using 16ga Belden speaker cable from Blue Jeans Cables for only $55.

PLwekMS.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #5,617 of 6,061
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I need your help.
I got a HE-6 since years but never used it often, paired with a IFI iDSD micro, which not has enough power to amplifier the Hifiman. Now I’m looking for an upgrade but I have some „special“ requirement, hope you can help ( I’ve also read the last 100 pages of this threat but didn’t find a match):

- budget max 1000€ ( second hand is fine for me)
- amp needs to stay on my desk therefore the form factor is critical, that’s why a typical stereo amp or vintage amp is too big ( love the size of the ifi pro but way too expensive)
- integrated DAC would be great but I can use the ifi IDSD micro for that.
- balanced output

I’ve found the following amps, will they be a good match for the he-6, any other options are welcome!

- Keces E40: https://www.kecesaudio.de/e40-2/
- TEAC AI-301DA USB
- EMOTIVA BasX A-100
- Audio-GD – MASTER 19
- monoprice THX amp
- SPL Phonitor 2 ( if used it’s in my price range, but not shure if it has enough power for the HE-6)
- Audio-GD NFB-1AMP (there is an extra gain option for the HE-6, but I think the standard configuration with 8000mW at 40ohm will be ok?) => unfortunately the measurements looks extremely bad: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gd-nfb28-28-dac-and-headphone-amp.5147/page-2
The NFB-1 should be the same without DAC

many thanks in advance
Christian

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,618 of 6,061
Seeing Master 19 on the list, I would add A-2 ($315) to the list. A new offer, very powerful and use Master series electronics. No reviews so far. Single-ended only, but a price is right.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #5,620 of 6,061
You are right, I missed two things. One is that SE output delivers less power, by example Master 19 SE: 2.5W/40Ohm vs. balanced: 9W/40Ohms. Note, it should be four times higher (10W), but is not. It means that Master 19 maximum power is limited by other conditions. By example reaching a thermal limit. The other one is that A-2 delivers slightly less nominal power than Master 19 SE output: 1.6W/40Ohm.

A design is focusing on delivering true power on the 25Ohm load, Master 19 has no such entry, it is why designers have decided to lower a maximum RMS voltage and beef up radiators on the power transistors for a safe operation on 25Ohms.

HE-6 with 50Ohms impedance lands on the weak spot and SE only output doesn't help either. Whether it is enough power, I don't know. A-2 specs look reliable, but not all specs are clear. By example according to the specs R2R-11 DAC/AMP combo delivers more power than A-2:
3.5W/25Ohms or
1.8W/50Ohms,
but less power on 600Ohms !

It is strange, considering radiators are very tiny. Possible if on a lower impedance load the amp is pushed to class AB.

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #5,622 of 6,061
Hi there, can anybody tell me , will he6 work with bryston 4b? I have one with my dynaudio bm15 and I’m thinking about he6se2 but don’t want but another amp for it

I use a 3BST for my HE6 w/ a passive pre amp (MPatch). The 4B will be fine assuming there are no voltage leaks and you have a pre obviously etc. I would always check using a multimeter to ensure the amp does not have any leaks, however use the 4B at your own risk lol.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #5,623 of 6,061
Im planing use 4b with ak380/sp1000, or topping d90, it has preamp and i could control volume. I am not a big expert in amplifiers, voltages and etc, can you tell me how need to check voltage leakage?

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #5,624 of 6,061
Im planing use 4b with ak380/sp1000, or topping d90, it has preamp and i could control volume. I am not a big expert in amplifiers, voltages and etc, can you tell me how need to check voltage leakage?
This should help,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back