Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #5,626 of 6,061
Im going to pick up a Roksan Caspian Series 1 MK2 today. I blew up my HE6 4-Screw on my NAD 356 amplifier, hifiman gave me the opportunity to replace the damaged HE6 with a new HE6SE. Currently waiting for the replacement to arrive, but I want to have everything in order before I connect the new pair onto the Roksan.

Sorry if this post is messy, maybe I should divided my questions to different threads. I will add space so it’s readable.

1. Anyone with experience on this setup?

2. I saw the YouTube video and going to bring a multimeter to check for the same numbers they did. Is it anything else I should check on this 15yr old amplifier? The seller said it hasn’t been used much in the last years, would it be okay to power up or should I clean the interior? Check for dc protection?

3. I see mixed recommendations on using the HE-Adapter, is there any other benefits other than volume control? Would say my HE6 survived the fault of my NAD amp if I used it?

4. Is the 3.5mm connection on the HE6SE TIP-(R+) RING-(R-)/Ground and same for the left driver?

5. I’m currently using iBasso DX160 as a digital source, speaker amplifier is new to me, but I read the Roksan has 47kOhm and input sensitivity of 240mV. Would the 3.2Vrms out from the iBasso damage the amplifier/headphone?

Specs of Roksan Caspian:
A496D51D-F15A-4FC6-8AEE-2F407FD17733.png

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #5,627 of 6,061
Im going to pick up a Roksan Caspian Series 1 MK2 today. I blew up my HE6 4-Screw on my NAD 356 amplifier, hifiman gave me the opportunity to replace the damaged HE6 with a new HE6SE. Currently waiting for the replacement to arrive, but I want to have everything in order before I connect the new pair onto the Roksan.

Sorry if this post is messy, maybe I should divided my questions to different threads. I will add space so it’s readable.

1. Anyone with experience on this setup?

2. I saw the YouTube video and going to bring a multimeter to check for the same numbers they did. Is it anything else I should check on this 15yr old amplifier? The seller said it hasn’t been used much in the last years, would it be okay to power up or should I clean the interior? Check for dc protection?

3. I see mixed recommendations on using the HE-Adapter, is there any other benefits other than volume control? Would say my HE6 survived the fault of my NAD amp if I used it?

4. Is the 3.5mm connection on the HE6SE TIP-(R+) RING-(R-)/Ground and same for the left driver?

5. I’m currently using iBasso DX160 as a digital source, speaker amplifier is new to me, but I read the Roksan has 47kOhm and input sensitivity of 240mV. Would the 3.2Vrms out from the iBasso damage the amplifier/headphone?

Specs of Roksan Caspian:
Sucessfully tried NAD 313 without blowing up my HE6. Not good sound.

How did Hifiman replace OG HE6 that is out of warranty?

Too bad another OG HE6 dying. The SE sound is not the same.

I don't see any reason to blow up an HE6 if volume is dialed down before outputting sound and slowly raising the volume. One should not risk this if also using for speakers or may forget to dial volume down.

This is my thinking based on hearing HE6 through resistors at ouput with a jumper from BasX. It doesn't sound as good without the resistors. I assume it would be the same for Hifiman box with resistors.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #5,628 of 6,061
Sucessfully tried NAD 313 without blowing up my HE6. Not good sound.

How did Hifiman replace OG HE6 that is out of warranty?

Too bad another OG HE6 dying. The SE sound is not the same.

I don't see any reason to blow up an HE6 if volume is dialed down before outputting sound and slowly raising the volume. One should not risk this if also using for speakers or may forget to dial volume down.

This is my thinking based on hearing HE6 through resistors at ouput with a jumper from BasX. It doesn't sound as good without the resistors. I assume it would be the same for Hifiman box with resistors.

I just emailed their support staff, really helpful people! I don’t think there’s many headphone companies that do service for customers on 10 yr old products. I did have to pay 400 USD + 30 USD shipping, but for me it is a lifesaver of a deal.

Got to enjoy the HE6 for 10 minutes before they died, not sure if it was DC leak or the power up process of safely connecting headphones to speaker taps, which I found out after they died (Plugg cable without headphone, let it warm up, turn down volume to zero, plugg headphone, not test bass knobs etc with the headphones connected, turning down volume, unplugging headphones before power off)

I still think the HE6SE will make for a nice upgrade in my collection (GL2000, M1060, HD650, Meze99, HD560s, HD6xx) even though I have the impression the OG HE6 is more sought after, kinda glad I didn’t get to listen to them for very long xD

May 15, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #5,630 of 6,061
May 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #5,632 of 6,061
I don’t think he meant that you need at least 15 W, I just received the HE6SE and they are running fine (no distortionfrom my iBasso DX160(delivers 0.8W), the sound is I little constricted compared to running it from my Topping A90 where they open up a lot.

It’s still the best sounding headphones I’ve listened to running on my iBasso DAP.

So 0.8W on He6se beats A90 running -> M1060, Hd650, Hd6xx, Fostex TR20P, GL2000

(Might be biased by new toy syndrome)

But, yeah... point is you don’t have to be afraid of buying these headphones because some people say you need a expensive hi-end power amplifier.

EDIT: The OG HE6 that I had before distorted when playing from the A90. Have no clue why they did, maybe the driver take damage from only being driven from speaker amps over the last 10 years. Efficiency on paper should be the same, but different numbers have come up with people doing measurement tests on different sets.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #5,633 of 6,061
Wow, is 15W not even enough? Very few headphone amps can deliver more than 15W into 52ohm - even balanced... I guess nothing can really do this legendary headphone justice!

That's not at all what I said. You asked if you need at least 15W into 52ohms in order to drive the HE6 'properly'? I said no.

May 23, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,634 of 6,061
That's not at all what I said. You asked if you need at least 15W into 52ohms in order to drive the HE6 'properly'? I said no.
Oh sorry, misread that then.

But it's a bit confusing because I know someone who's plugged the HE-6 into a literal 350W per channel speaker amp (I think a McIntosh?) and said it still lacked bass impact, so maybe was still under-driven!?

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #5,637 of 6,061
What's everyone's opinion on the new Violectric HPA V550 (6.4W into 50 ohm) and HPA 340 (5W into 50ohm)?

Enough to drive the HE-6/SE well?

I’m sure it will sound great. Best i heard my HE6 was direct off the taps of an adcom 545ii via Saga+ . Such a great match! DAC was 2qute.

Might as well get a power amp and not have that nagging feeling that it needs more watts!

That being said, GSX mini drove it pretty well also.

Modded FA10 was the best “headphone” amp i tried with it.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,638 of 6,061
I’m sure it will sound great. Best i heard my HE6 was direct off the taps of an adcom 545ii via Saga+ . Such a great match! DAC was 2qute.

Might as well get a power amp and not have that nagging feeling that it needs more watts!

That being said, GSX mini drove it pretty well also.

Modded FA10 was the best “headphone” amp i tried with it.
Thanks for your reply. My conundrum is that I don't want to have to buy a speaker amp, just to drive the HE-6SE. I'm looking for a reasonably sized but powerful amp that can run the HE-6 SE (to maybe 90-95% of its potential, if 100% is only possible with powerful speaker amps) and my other headphones as well and sit on my desk and not be giant (rules out things like Ragnarok and probably the Flux amp, which looks pretty big as well). So basically, an amp with the best balance between compact size and power as possible.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #5,639 of 6,061
Thanks for your reply. My conundrum is that I don't want to have to buy a speaker amp, just to drive the HE-6SE. I'm looking for a reasonably sized but powerful amp that can run the HE-6 SE (to maybe 90-95% of its potential, if 100% is only possible with powerful speaker amps) and my other headphones as well and sit on my desk and not be giant (rules out things like Ragnarok and probably the Flux amp, which looks pretty big as well). So basically, an amp with the best balance between compact size and power as possible.
I ran the FirstWatt J2, and it was incredible with the HE-6. It’s far too big for your desk though.

I’ve not heard it, but I’ve seen recommendations for the Benchmark AHB2. Benchmark makes some awesome kit and the AHB2 gets many top marks. Plus it will fit neatly on your desk.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all-products/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #5,640 of 6,061
Oh sorry, misread that then.

But it's a bit confusing because I know someone who's plugged the HE-6 into a literal 350W per channel speaker amp (I think a McIntosh?) and said it still lacked bass impact, so maybe was still under-driven!?

People say so much crap. Try it yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back